Doctor Strange

The Human Torch

Agreed on all counts.

If the Netflix series are good then Marvel is obviously in a prime spot to do The Defenders. It could play pretty similar to Hellboy really*. Marvel could bring over Sif too as the teams muscle; using her ties to the Avengers, her mythological aspects and that Filmverse "sciency-magik" combo. She would also provide a much needed shot of estrogen into that Defenders roster... since it seems like we're getting a straighter adaptation of Strange.

*I think Guillermo Del Toro doesn't get enough cred for his Hellboy films. If you think about it his tone in those is pretty close to what Marvel Studios has cemented as theirs.

There is plenty of speculation that they may not follow the plan with Netflix as it was originally laid out and do the individual shows, but make The Defenders itself on the big screen. With Daredevil not coming until next May and then three more individual shows to do, that might give them time to Dr. Strange first, then put them all together. Of course, depending on the timing, they might still get things rolling with a Defenders miniseries as planned and then go big screen if it's well received.

I'm with you, Ryn, they should definitely do Valkyrie - and Thor 3 could easily introduce her. If the timings not right, they could also use Agents of SHIELD. Sif was already on there, so maybe have her make another appearance, this time with Valkyrie to help. Once again, we have so many possibilities when it comes to this team. Most, of course, would take the team away from "the street". If that's what they're really going for, many of the more memorable members (including the ones we've talked about) wouldn't work. Tying back our earlier tangent, Namor was a Defender. Gargoyle, if done right, could be cool in a big budget film. Same with The Hulk would go over well, but has obvious complications.

As for more "street" characters, Nighthawk is an obvious choice, but I doubt they'll want to show off their version of Batman to the mass audiences. Likewise, Hellcat may seem a bit too much like Catwoman. Though he only had a brief affiliation with the team in the books, one character I've always loved that would fit the bill nicely would be Moon Knight. Of course, not only if they do the less powerful, grittier version (which is what Netflix is lining up) would they probably not even include Strange, but if his movie did well, they would probably want to simply do sequels with him, anyway. They may actually choose to ignore his connection to the Defenders or at least make it much less. That way, they could continue to tie things together loosely, but have things stand on their own.

Having done just the tiniest bit of research. You're right, the Squadron Sinister in Avengers 69-71 were written as cheap stand-ins for the JLA. And Nighthawk was the "Batman" of the group.

But come on, Moon Knight - a millionaire playboy who dresses up in a cape and hood and fights crime at night and throws little crescent shaped shuriken (not to mention dozens of other little gadgets). He's at least one of the characters inspired by Batman.

http://ca.ign.com/top/comic-book-heroes/89

Eh, I became a fan of Moon Knight during the "Fist of Khonshu" era, which was less "schizo Batman" and more "semi-willing god-pawn". More interesting, as I remember. Sure, he may not be wholly original. Honestly, many things aren't, but they can still be cool. The world seems to enjoy watching both Arrow on TV and Hawkeye in the Avengers. If done right, Moon Knight could certainly be an enjoyable character on screen and not have to scream "Batman copy" to the general audience.

The Squadron Supreme (or Sinister) were indeed a microscopically thin veiled JLA, though they've lasted surprisingly long. I actually enjoyed their mini-series back in the 80's.

Staying on point, though, what do you guys think: should Dr. Strange be in the Defenders? Or would keeping them (at least mostly) separate give us more diversity in the MCU, with the Strange movie(s) fully embracing the mystic and the Defenders giving us something more grounded and grittier?

I get why Strange's costume could be seen as eccentric, but I believe that Strange's costume is really simple. It's a blue tunic over black tights with a red cape and gold sash. It's classically four color in design, just doesn't have outside-underwear.

Back to my OP Daydream: Strange's costume would look fan-freaking-tastic on Carrie-Anne Moss.

Comparing anything done by Warner with Marvel is not going to work.

One company is making good movies, the other company is releasing Zack Snyder crap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I´m fine with an unknown as Stephen Strange. The big names tend to play themselves instead of the character. (Hello RDJ.) If they could actually find a Steve Rogers with a perfect level of goofiness and valour, they can find a mysterious surgeoun as well.

What really gets me excited is Frank Castle being back at Marvel! "Punisher War Zone" was all right, but an R-rated "Return to big nothing" - yummy! Now just who to do the punishing... a buffed-up Michael Madsen wouldda been perfect a coupla decades ago. Then again, the Frank of the "mature line" is aging in real time. If they NEED a link to the rest of the movieverse, Fury and Frank have a few run-ins now and then and Nick is basically the only one who doesn´t hate the Punisher - just sees him as a guided missile to fire-and-forget. And just about anyone could guest star and disapprove of blowing scum away.

Or do it the really hard way and play out Ennis´s "Welcome back Frank" with some added known faces/costumes. So many useless supervillians left over from Spider-Man and so on who just need to get put away. Like six feet under away.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.