Could this be a stormtrooper for EP VII

RelentlessMalice

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm sure there were vested, profitable interests in the Empire. Every Confederation faction got rolled into that, so at least anyone from the Banking Clan is involved.

So then, CIS reformed, then? Awesome. I'd rather see the Star Forge from KOTOR become canon.

No offense, but I thought this new trilogy was trying to distance itself from the PT as much as possible?

I'm not meaning the Confederation is reformed. Just that they still existed in some capacity within Palpatine's Empire, under his control. There may have been opportunistic people taking advantage of that power vacuum left by his death.

The Sequel Trilogy can try to distance itself from the PT, but that trilogy still has taken place. It's still history.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not meaning the Confederation is reformed. Just that they still existed in some capacity within Palpatine's Empire, under his control. There may have been opportunistic people taking advantage of that power vacuum left by his death.

The Sequel Trilogy can try to distance itself from the PT, but that trilogy still has taken place. It's still history.

Eh, maybe. But I think it would make more sense that the Rebellion's Endor victory wasn't an absolute victory, and that the galaxy is still simply divided. I actually like the idea of what's left of the Empire and the New Republic each having control of about half the galaxy, and having been under an uneasy, cold war-ish truce for the past 30 years (think North and South Korea), where neither side has enough power to totally defeat the other. So open hostilities have ceased for the most part, with occasional skirmishes that pop up. Then, with Episode 7, that Cold War gets hot again with the introduction of the big bad, who solidifies the (for lack of better term) "Imperial Remnant." That would explain why each side still has technology resembling the OT, yet evolved.

Not too diverge...but...

I've always loved the concepts of the PT, just not the execution. But I loved how the Empire was formed. Basically, The Republic was a government like the United Nations, where in each system/planet governed itself, had its own military, but agreed to a universal set of ethics and codes and money system.

The commerce between these systems of the Republic was run by corporations like the Trade Federation, Banking Clan, Techno Union, etc. Each of them had a franchise deal, which is how the TF was able to say Naboo wasn't paying their bills and legally embargoed all trade.

The CIS certainly had individual systems and world bail out of the Republic to join, but its leadership was made up of all those Chrome Companies with Dooku as their figurehead. Once they bounced, the Republic infrastructure was jacked, hence the welcome federalization of all things vis a vis an Empire.

When the Soviet Union fell people were over-joyed to have more freedoms, but it took years for free trade to develop. So who knows what model of government the Star Wars galaxy fell to after the Empire was dismantled. I never bought into the New Republic, as if they could just fire all that up. They'd gone decades with the Empire running (and paying for) everything. How's a coup going to keep that up?

It seems most likely to me that while the Empire wad destabilized as the central government, much like what happen in the middle east with the fall of the Soviet Union, you're going to have tons of territories that are taken over by warlords, greedy Governors and other ne'er do wells that will likely appropriate Empire gear/forces/resources, or otherwise localize them. Most of the peaceful systems represented in the Alliance would help each other-- but those territories and world's caught in the middle are going to have to slowly rebuild their supply chains.

Take a random world lacking the political power or clout of an Alderaan. Surely it's leaders would welcome an oppressive Imperial garrison to be stationed on their world in exchange for some goods to be provided. Especially if the alternative was an unfriendly occupation.

That's why I also enjoy the idea of the Hutts being big time puppeteers in this new Saga. Criminal/Commercial giants would have the ability to step in during a dismantling of an Empire and an attempt at something other. Plus using the Hutts as string pullers feeds into the cameo appearances of them over the original Saga.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not too diverge...but...

I've always loved the concepts of the PT, just not the execution. But I loved how the Empire was formed. Basically, The Republic was a government like the United Nations, where in each system/planet governed itself, had its own military, but agreed to a universal set of ethics and codes and money system.

The commerce between these systems of the Republic was run by corporations like the Trade Federation, Banking Clan, Techno Union, etc. Each of them had a franchise deal, which is how the TF was able to say Naboo wasn't paying their bills and legally embargoed all trade.

The CIS certainly had individual systems and world bail out of the Republic to join, but its leadership was made up of all those Chrome Companies with Dooku as their figurehead. Once they bounced, the Republic infrastructure was jacked, hence the welcome federalization of all things vis a vis an Empire.

When the Soviet Union fell people were over-joyed to have more freedoms, but it took years for free trade to develop. So who knows what model of government the Star Wars galaxy fell to after the Empire was dismantled. I never bought into the New Republic, as if they could just fire all that up. They'd gone decades with the Empire running (and paying for) everything. How's a coup going to keep that up?

It seems most likely to me that while the Empire wad destabilized as the central government, much like what happen in the middle east with the fall of the Soviet Union, you're going to have tons of territories that are taken over by warlords, greedy Governors and other ne'er do wells that will likely appropriate Empire gear/forces/resources, or otherwise localize them. Most of the peaceful systems represented in the Alliance would help each other-- but those territories and world's caught in the middle are going to have to slowly rebuild their supply chains.

Take a random world lacking the political power or clout of an Alderaan. Surely it's leaders would welcome an oppressive Imperial garrison to be stationed on their world in exchange for some goods to be provided. Especially if the alternative was an unfriendly occupation.

I'm not one for erasing PT continuity. It happened and IS the established history, as Ryn said. And much like you, I do think the overall big picture of the PT was a good one.

And I do agree that it is not realistic that the "New Republic" (I would prefer the term "Alliance" instead...I think that's a better name than The NEW Republic) completely supplanted the Empire, and all its infrastructure. A galaxy is a vast, vast place. So expecting a galaxy to unite under a new regime and be virtually problem free and have a functional government it definitely simplistic and unrealistic.

That said, and it's just my opinion, but I don't want to see a return to banking clans, techno unions, and trade federations. For one thing, that was never in the OT. The Empire was ALL. There was never any mention of those organizations. Second, think if it this way, all of those organizations were decapitated (some cases, LITERALLY!) in one fell swoop by Darth Vader on Mustafar, in ROTS. The CIS, as well as the TF, BC, and TU were utterly defeated, and I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Empire, under Palpatine, filled all vacuums left by the absence of those organizations, post-ROTS.

At least in my mind, it makes more sense to see the galaxy split in half, with part of it still under control of the Empire (though vastly diminished, it still maintains control of what it does have with its stormtroopers and by fear), and the "Alliance." I think a cold war would be a good explanation why both sides are still around, yet neither side defeated the other. Also, 30 years of a hot war would not leave much of a galaxy left.

And just to somewhat stay on topic, if both sides were still around, it would definitely explain the evolved look of the new stormtroopers, or even the new xwings, for that matter, because neither went away. They just evolved, much like the clone troopers evolved to become stormtroopers, and the ARC170s preceded the xwings.

That said, and it's just my opinion, but I don't want to see a return to banking clans, techno unions, and trade federations. For one thing, that was never in the OT. The Empire was ALL. There was never any mention of those organizations. Second, think if it this way, all of those organizations were decapitated (some cases, LITERALLY!) in one fell swoop by Darth Vader on Mustafar, in ROTS. The CIS, as well as the TF, BC, and TU were utterly defeated, and I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Empire, under Palpatine, filled all vacuums left by the absence of those organizations, post-ROTS.

I'm not saying those organizations will suddenly return in that fashion, but that their infrastructures were nationalized by Palpatine. In his absence, without another strong leader to keep that loss minimal (which could be a character in the ST to keep the Empire as a viable opponent), there could be a splintering effect within the Empire. Regional governors or other departmental/organizational ranks may balkanize what's remaining.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not saying those organizations will suddenly return in that fashion, but that their infrastructures were nationalized by Palpatine. In his absence, without another strong leader to keep that loss minimal (which could be a character in the ST to keep the Empire as a viable opponent), there could be a splintering effect within the Empire. Regional governors or other departmental/organizational ranks may balkanize what's remaining.

I can be down with multiple factions, especially if executed well, just not the ones used in the PT. I'd even be down with a 3 or 4 sided war. If there are to be factions, I'd just like to see new ones. And I definitely don't want to see Nute Gunray's, Wat Tambor's, and Poggle the Lesser's people. Let what happened in the PT movies stay in the Clone Wars era.

It feels a little Star Trek-y to have the galaxy divided between super powers.

Hell's Bells, we can't have that! Next thing you know, some guy who produced a couple Star Trek movies will be put in charge of the next 7 Star Wars movies or so.

I have no problem seeing a complex government(s), even extra-governmental organizations, or even additional factions beyond the Alliance and Empire, but the two main entities should be the Alliance and Empire, IMHO.

I just wasn't all that impressed with the trade federation, banking clan, and whatever else. And like I said, those organizations should be defunct, given how ROTS ended.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.