Humanoid Aliens

RamonAtila

Is it a coincidence that our idea of aliens is humanoids that look like us? Has anyone ever thought like me that grey aliens could be nothing more than evolved humans? Meteorites brought the ingredients of life to Earth, you gotta believe they brought those similar igredients to other planets and made similar-looking people.

Also if you trace man's evolution from apes to what we are today, wouldn't it be logical that the continuation of that evolution would lead us to look something like a grey alien? What do you think?

Creatures similar to "Greys" have been in folklore and human consciousness for ages. Perhaps we use science-fiction as the source for them today, since we've outgrown (many) superstitions and would feel silly calling them goblins or gnomes or faeries nowadays! The evolved human "aliens" in H.G. Wells' Man of the Year Million (1893) share similar traits to Greys (overlarge head and skinny, almost vestigial-looking limbs); I have often wondered if that where the Grey's shift from fantasy to science fiction began...

Of course it's not coincidence that our imaginations create humanoid aliens. Our imaginations are meager and we are naturally predisposed to assume that our forms are idealized for intelligence and technology. Plus it's easier to cast humans in make-up for alien roles than to wait for ET and hope that they're half-decent actors.

Like Pong said. There are so many narratives people cling to, and have clung to, throughout history with descriptions of beings that could be similar to "Greys" (or whatever) in appearance.

But since we are bipedal and we are the most "advanced" or "superior" species on the planet, I guess it's only natural to attribute visions of even more "superior" beings with anthropomorphic traits that resemble our own. Simply cause we are the most advanced organic species we are aware of, therefore anything more advanced than us can only be described similarly to us. That is, we have no other frame of refrence.

Once again I'm dribbling shit. It's the wine.

Creatures similar to "Greys" have been in folklore and human consciousness for ages. Perhaps we use science-fiction as the source for them today, since we've outgrown (many) superstitions and would feel silly calling them goblins or gnomes or faeries nowadays! The evolved human "aliens" in H.G. Wells' Man of the Year Million (1893) share similar traits to Greys (overlarge head and skinny, almost vestigial-looking limbs); I have often wondered if that where the Grey's shift from fantasy to science fiction began...

When people suffered from sleep paralysis in medieval Europe, they might say they saw a succubus or incubus. In the last century, it's an alien. I myself have had a few episodes where I saw a figure in black with glowing red eyes, but I was also aware that I had just read Stephen King's The Stand in the last year. So, easy explanation there.

I think it would be extremely coincidental for the first alien race we encounter to be a bipedal humanoid. Convergence would likely lead to many similar species, especially during the beginning eons of life. Things like fish, sponges, mollusks, etc. would be expected. But a primate-like species seems like a long-shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Im just sayin...theres red ants in Australia just like theres red ants in America. big coincidence.even dinosaurs were bipeds with two eyes and a mouth. such an intricate design for life to be used on only one planet out of trillions and billions. one time and one time only on one little spec in all the universe. I mean like ya know??

Two eyes and a mouth is what is working right now, and what has worked. It could change though. Ya never know.

Btw, some vertebrates still have a third eye: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parietal_eye

Ours has sunk deep into our brains, but is still light sensitive. Dunno how you get a flashlight into a living person's brain tho :p

Among fish, lampreys retain two functional "third" eyes, one developed from the parietal gland, and the other from the pineal gland. These are one behind the other in the centre of the upper surface of the braincase. Because lampreys are among the most primitive of all living vertebrates, it is possible that this was the original condition among vertebrates, and may have allowed bottom-dwelling species to sense threats from above.[6]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.