Kid stories (and photos and videos)

What do you do/say when your child inadvertently says something horribly racist?

Earlier this week Noah and I were driving to my grandma's house, and he said "Mom. I'm really happy that my skin is peach. I don't want it to be brown. I don't like brown. I like being peach."

:green:

That was a new one. I finally figured out that he considered anything darker than he is as "brown", and he just likes his own color. He doesn't think any less of browner people or anything. I don't think he equates skin color with anything other than the surface color of his skin. So that's good.

I still haven't really talked to him about it or anything. Should I? I think it's great that he's very happy with his own skin, but HOLY CRAP WHAT IF HE'D SAID THAT IN PUBLIC OR SOMETHING OMG!! The kid is a quarter Mexican. Though, granted, our branch of the family tree is incredibly fair-skinned for Mexicans. But my sister-in-law (Noah's aunt) is half-Filipino! And apparently we're all too dark for Noah! (See photos for skin color references.)

10387463_4887863931746_7071219721848531695_n.jpg

10858000_10200112167724253_6503848446312408866_n.jpg

So on a completely different topic, my son last night decided he needs to start kneeling to pray. So cute to see him kneel and fold his hands, and super cute to see him struggling to learn how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Once the shock wore off, the joy set in.

However, I feel bad for stealing attention away from Krawlie's iPhone. I've had a Windows Phone for 4 years (yeah, I know), and I just got an iPhone 6. It's AMAZING. I wish your iPhone a swift and speedy recovery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.