Kid stories (and photos and videos)

You know your kid is getting too old when you use the idiom "don't beat around the bush" and they start laughing. Having a 16yo in the house is a whole new experience.

In other news, I picked up my daughter Kylie from elementary school today. First time I've done it this school year. As the bell rings a tidal wave of children rush out from the school. I had no problem spotting her however as she is one of two blonde children in the school. It has never been more apparent that while we're not the national minority we are in this neighborhood. In a way it felt like I was in Cheers, everyone knew me as Kylie's dad and everyone knows Kylie.

We're slightly hippie but not full-blown. I draw the line at taking babies to chiropractors and gluten-free or paleo diets. I tried hot yoga and decided it was BS and just dehydrating. One of my friends described the other friend as getting her PhD in nutrition from Google. Lol.

I do manage to cloth diaper while working full-time. Well, until Quinn finally grew out of these supposed one size, 8-35 lb things when she's 27 lbs soaking wet on a good day. Then I said screw it, you're in pull ups and start crapping in a toliet already. Fortunately it didn't take too long but it was a painful couple of weeks.

Speaking of poop, pretty sure Ethan just pooped in the swing and fell asleep. That's not going to end well.

Pretty much the only hippie thing about us is cloth diapers, and it's more financial than anything else. Planning on multiple kids, so the initial cost will be spread out for years. But I don't think we could have done it had my wife continued teaching. She was working too much.

On the other hand, her working allowed my son and I to bond in a way that most dads don't get with a 4 month old, and that's continued through his life. My wife stays home with him, but he's still a total daddy's boy. He'll bypass her for comfort if I'm around.

He's getting frustrated with the fact that I won't give him my cane to play with, though. It looks really fun and daddy plays with it all the time!

I kind of freak out about restrictive diets for kids like a gluten-free paleo diet. I know someone who's doing that to their kid right now. He isn't as heavy as other kids and his percentile is real low for some bench marks. Just because Mom's got a dietary issue I don't think you should restrict your kids diet so much as exposure to lots of different foods is good. I'm not talking junk food but she's poopooed a lot of things when we go on outings as a family like the zoo.

And it is still poop in a diaper. I would like to think I could handle it but nope. Gag reflexes stop me. A few years ago I had a student that had to be belt lifted from the wheelchair they were confined to and I was taught the things to assist and sometimes I had to barf right after because I am a bad bad person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Cereese/666AAA10-AC45-412E-AD9B-2F8D527515B1_zpsa6tappwt.jpg

My kid now knows how to vacuum! Woohoo!

So, question. Do your kids have chores? Will they when they're older, or did they when they were still at home?

My husband and I have been talking about giving Noah chores since he was born, but it didn't actually happen until very recently. We always tried to get him to "help" with activities around the house, but he never had his own set of responsibilities. Last summer he got 2 cats for his birthday, and we told him from day one that they were his responsibility. He's the one that makes sure they have food and water at all times, and that their toys are picked up. Now I've made it his responsibility to empty the dishwasher once the dishes are clean, fold and put away his own clean laundry, and take out the trash. I'd like him to also vacuum once a week and wash his own clothing (I even bought little laundry detergent pod thingys so he didn't have to worry about reaching the bottle of detergent and measuring it out properly), but my husband things that a bit much for a 6 year old. He also wants to give Noah an allowance or pay him for doing his chores so that he can begin to learn some personal finance. I don't like the idea of paying him to do housework, but I do want him to have his own money to save and spend. My stance is that housework is a part of life (like bathing, sleeping, etc.) and I don't want him to be rewarded for it, because it's just something you have to do regardless. So what can we pay him for? And what's a good amount for a 6 yo?

We have made feeding Isis Quinn's chore. But I always have to ask. I'm ok with that, she's not even 3. I try to get her to pick up her toys but I have to help with that quite a bit.

Can he reach all the shelves to put away the dishes? We're a pretty long way from there. Not going to lie, occasionally I have to bust out the step stool myself.

I need to watch what I say around Quinn, because she doesn't miss anything. When Ethan fusses, I pick him up and usually say something about how tragic it is. Ethan started crying and Quinn told me, "He's tragic!" Lol right there.

Found out Ethan is 2% for weight, 7% for height, and 60% head size. So much for being bigger than Quinn, he's shorter and weighs less than she did at 4 months. I feel kind of bad but the pediatrician said she was happy with his weight and said he was very active so she thought that had a part in it. I guess when you combine my husband and I you get short kids with a good metabolism. We also found out he has a little bit of torticollitis, but since we caught it early we can probably fix it without PT. He's going to be the one I have to worry about, I can tell.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.