GAWD, Congress. This is going to be the biggest thing you've ever done this year.

Ms. Spam

And it's dumb. Just dumb. Obama will be out of the White House before this happens. It's an election year stunt from a Congress that has basically done nothing for the past 6-8 years. I should be suing Congress.

GOP-led House votes to sue Obama in first-of-its-kind lawsuit

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-house-votes-to-sue-obama-20140730-story.html

The House vote to sue President Obama is the first such legal challenge by a chamber of Congress against a president and a historic foray in the fight over constitutional checks and balances.

Wednesdays nearly party-line vote followed a feisty floor debate and offered a fresh example of how the capitals hyper-partisanship has led both parties into unprecedented territory, going to new and greater lengths to confront one another.

Because I find issues with posting I have to break this up. The next part is about this quote from the article:

The House approved the resolution in a near party-line vote, 225 to 201. It authorizes House Speaker John A. Boehner to file suit in federal court on behalf of the full body “to seek appropriate relief” for Obama’s failure to enforce a provision of the Affordable Care Act that would penalize businesses that do not offer basic health insurance to their employees.

That provision’s effective date has been delayed by the administration twice and now won’t fully take effect until 2016. The GOP-led House has voted to repeal the law, even as it seeks to sue Obama for failing to enforce it.

Do you want this thing (Obamacare) or not, Boehner? And to give the deciding factor to the third legislative branch, the courts, means that if successful, this means that the Courts get to settle disputes between the other two branches.

How did I know this was a Spam thread just by seeing "GAWD" in the title?

Anyways, sure Congress is polarized now (intensely polarized, and it's certainly not good for the country), but this hyperbolic language in the article is sorta ridiculous. "New and greater lengths to confront one another?" "Unprecedented territory?" Really?

In 1856, Preston Brooks (SC) beat the sh-t out of Charles Sumner from MA for insulting Senator Butler (SC) right on the Senate floor with his cane after Sumner accused Butler of sleeping around with slaves. Sumner's face was covered in blood and he fell down unconscious.. he almost died for christ's sake. Just two years earlier, Rep. Edmundson was arrested by the House Sergeant at Arms for trying to do the same thing.

So get out of here with this "new and greater lengths" bullsh-t. This sh-t is child's play. Last time I checked no one has literally attacked each other which means we got a ways to go before we get to the polarization of the 1850s.

Considering how Obama has blatantly ignored the constitution multiple times I'm not surprised at all to see this. Hopefully they'll nail his ass and set a precedent that this sort of shit will not be tolerated in the future.

Carrie, historically I think this is very interesting. Why not the impeachment route or go back to Andrew Jackson days and go for a censure? A lawsuit paid by taxpayers for someone who will be out of office by the time it makes it to court seems so wasteful to get a little electoral hay for the GOP for some seats in Congress.

I'm cooking up some pasta and homemade red sauce so it's hard to get going typing up actual real responses because I have got to constantly stir the sauce.

About the hyperbolic language: I've been voting since Bush Sr. and have never seen people so incensed by a sitting president. I went through some old stuff from back when W. was president and I don't think liberal/democrats on this site were as bad as some things I've seen in my daily life here in San Antonio. Texas is a pretty good sized GOP state but there are some pockets of liberal/Democrat areas so I am not weirded out by the backlash but it is funny and sad. I passed a guy who had a "GOD BLESS AMERICA" bumper sticker on the right side of his bumper and "Texas Secede!" on his left bumper. And they say the darnedest things in public. I was called a communist because I gave some food to a guy standing on the side of the road. So I definitely think that there's a division that is worse this decade than before. Even with Clinton I don't think it was this bad. Are people just more drama queens? Is it just heightened more?

Sounds like you're the drama queen.

Obama is a farce. The "Affordable" Healthcare alone is enough to damn him to the realm of forgettable presidents, a cautionary tale I fear most will ignore.

My theory on the lawsuit is that they don't want to impeach and fail like they did with Clinton. It'll look less bad if they fail with the lawsuit than it would with an impeachment, but the message is still there. Barack Obama is an abomination. He's abused his power to undermine America, and the sooner he goes away the better.

Sounds like you're the drama queen.

Obama is a farce. The "Affordable" Healthcare alone is enough to damn him to the realm of forgettable presidents, a cautionary tale I fear most will ignore.

My theory on the lawsuit is that they don't want to impeach and fail like they did with Clinton. It'll look less bad if they fail with the lawsuit than it would with an impeachment, but the message is still there. Barack Obama is an abomination. He's abused his power to undermine America, and the sooner he goes away the better.

The only drama queen I see here is you.

Aside from a few token issues (the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' for example, which was going to have to happen anyway because of the way it was hurting enlistment numbers), every policy decision Obama has made is either a continuation of ones implemented by the Bush Adminstration, or using precedent set by the Bush Administration. It's enough to say that this is the fourth Bush term. Hell, even Reason magazine, a libertarian rag, has pointed out as much.

This is sour grapes and showboating on the part of Congress. Nothing more. Most of them went lock step when Bush made the exact same decisions 8 years ago.

In 1856, Preston Brooks (SC) beat the sh-t out of Charles Sumner from MA for insulting Senator Butler (SC) right on the Senate floor with his cane after Sumner accused Butler of sleeping around with slaves. Sumner's face was covered in blood and he fell down unconscious.. he almost died for christ's sake. Just two years earlier, Rep. Edmundson was arrested by the House Sergeant at Arms for trying to do the same thing.

For the hicks who think "ultimate fighting" and the WWE are the pinnacles of human entertainment forms, fighting on the House and Senate floors would make rednecks pay attention to government again. They may accidentally learn something, too. Bring back dueling and we may end up with a functional government, again, too. It'd be an interesting social engineering experiment, at the very least.

About the hyperbolic language: I've been voting since Bush Sr. and have never seen people so incensed by a sitting president. I went through some old stuff from back when W. was president and I don't think liberal/democrats on this site were as bad as some things I've seen in my daily life here in San Antonio.

You live in Texas. San Antonio Texas. White people from there are dumber and more conservative than in many places in the United States.

I lived in Eugene, Oregon during much of Bush II's reign, and if I didn't have the perspective of regularly leaving the city or reading posts from other, more sensible parts of the country, I'd probably think that I had "never seen people so incensed by a sitting president" from 2001-2009.

Now it's 2014, and I'm hearing people -- the same ones who called the anti-Bu****es "brainwashed extremists" and worse -- say the same exact crap I heard practically every day from from 2001 onward: "Impeach!" "Tyrant!" "Illegitimate President!" "Not MY president!" "Raaaaaawwr!"

Obama isn't a ****ing communist. He's not going to declare himself emperor, and he probably isn't the worst president we've ever had either. Get a ****ing grip.

People are so unbelievably reactionary and stupid. I truly hate them.

We're pretty blue collar in San Antonio, but a lot of military retirees come here because it is affordable and our VA is slightly better than the rest. So I think I get extremes.

To go back to my other topic about immigration, I think the way the conservatives are reacting to the children from Honduras will force more of the straight party GOP ticket voters in San Antonio to go vote democrat in the next election.

There are two nutz in my condo complex that have Tea Party affiliation and yesterday when I was taking the garbage out they were going o about how this lawsuit will force Obama out of office as they pointed to the article in the Express News they were throwing in the recycle bin. "He's going to go back to Kenya with his tail between his legs!" one of the told me. Also they can't call him by his name, Barack Obama. They call him Barry Sotero. So sometimes it takes me a moment to figure out that they're being stupid about the president. I told them I don't think they know how lawsuits work. And if he goes back to where he came from it'll be Chicago and he'll just make more money...

You live in Texas. San Antonio Texas. White people from there are dumber and more conservative than in many places in the United States.

I lived in Eugene, Oregon during much of Bush II's reign, and if I didn't have the perspective of regularly leaving the city or reading posts from other, more sensible parts of the country, I'd probably think that I had "never seen people so incensed by a sitting president" from 2001-2009.

Now it's 2014, and I'm hearing people -- the same ones who called the anti-Bu****es "brainwashed extremists" and worse -- say the same exact crap I heard practically every day from from 2001 onward: "Impeach!" "Tyrant!" "Illegitimate President!" "Not MY president!" "Raaaaaawwr!"

Obama isn't a ****ing communist. He's not going to declare himself emperor, and he probably isn't the worst president we've ever had either. Get a ****ing grip.

People are so unbelievably reactionary and stupid. I truly hate them.

You know what I think it is? The collapse of the USSR left the US without an external enemy. But not without the need for an enemy. So now it's the other side of the isle in congress. Starting with witches in Salem, it's always been something, or so it seems.

Partisanship in America especially, though other western nations are by no means immune to it, remind me of this passage from 1984:

The citizen of Oceana is not allowed to know anything of the tenets of the other two philosophies, but is taught to execrate them as barbaric outrages upon morality and common sense. Actually the three philosophies are barely distinguishable, and the social systems they support not distinguishable at all. Everywhere is the same pyramidal structure, the same worship of a semi divine leader, the same economy existing by and for continuous warfare. It follows that the superstates not only cannot conquer one another, but would gain nothing from doing so. On the contrary, so long as they remain in conflict, they prop one another up like sheaves of corn."

I remember the vitriol Clinton got. Hell, I've mentioned before that I saw my first 'Impeach Clinton' bumper sticker in 1993, his first year in office, LONG before the actual impeachment. Clinton got accused of everything, up to and including MURDER.

The criticism of Bush originally stemmed from the results of the 2000 election, how the Supreme Court stopped the recount and declared Bush the winner. That caused a lot of complaints and feelings that he was illegitimate. Others may or may not agree, but it at least has roots in an understandable place. From there on, the criticism was mostly, although not entirely, based upon reality, upon things his administration ACTUALLY did, taking preexisting policies and blowing them up to ridiculous conclusions.

Obama.. The venom he gets is Clinton times 1000, and unlike Bush, most of it has no actual basis in fact. Much of it is his race, but there are larger issues at work.

In previous threads, I mentioned the fundamental... pathology of many Americans. A victimization complex and need to have an 'Other' to blame their problems on, a scapegoat to be responsible for their OWN failings. The last 6 years we have seen that very dysfunction at work in the venom and vitriol that has been displayed by a large segment of Americans.

Guest El Chalupacabra

How did I know this was a Spam thread just by seeing "GAWD" in the title?

Anyways, sure Congress is polarized now (intensely polarized, and it's certainly not good for the country), but this hyperbolic language in the article is sorta ridiculous. "New and greater lengths to confront one another?" "Unprecedented territory?" Really?

So get out of here with this "new and greater lengths" bullsh-t. This sh-t is child's play. Last time I checked no one has literally attacked each other which means we got a ways to go before we get to the polarization of the 1850s.

So, you are basically saying that we have to be at the point of a civil war (because that's what followed the congressional shenanigans of the 1850s, no?) for us to be concerned about how polarized and deadlocked congress is? What exactly are you trying to say there, CM? I think the fact that Congress is refusing to do anything than engage in petty tit-for-tat politics, while the president seems to think that justifies his attempted power grabs is something we should be alarmed about.

She stated that the current level isn't good for the country, but her main point is that when you make claims that are stupid, you lose credibility. To say this is a new low is, honestly, moronic at best and shows a complete lack of any knowledge of history. I mean, we had a civil war. That alone means we're not anywhere near our worst level of division and partisanship. Other than a few idiots in Texas and a few other states, nobody is even talking about secession.

Knowing facts and being alarmed is responsible, being needlessly alarmist without even a basic understanding of US history, such as the writer of the article posted, is dangerous and you might as well call yourself Glenn Beck.

I guess I am desensitized to news reported like this.

I am kind of interested in this idea of the lawsuit. Clinton was fun because it was impeachment over sex with an intern. It showed America's roots. We are truly a country of prudes. I loved Nixon because he had no shame. I mean Nixon was even blatant about his hatred of news agencies. He banned some from even being in the White House. I just wish lawyering didn't take so long.

I've heard Alaska making noise about leaving. There is even a movement in those smaller states like Montana and Wyoming.

I tend toj ust roll my eyes and think that those people are 100% responsible for the partisanship. If we could get people like Glenn Beck and Jon Stewart to be ignored we might stand a chance at finding middle ground.

Yeah. I'd vote GOP if I felt confident in them. I wanted to vote McCain back in 2008. The ifs are so far out there though as I think it really is mainsteam media doing some shaping of the issues that Congress does.

I admit to hyperbole here. Mostly I'm doing it get some sort of conversation started.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.