The Beer thread

Guest xhado123

I agree about too many IPAs being more concerned with cramming hops in rather than making the beer taste good. The Two Hearted is my favorite IPA. I love the Dogfish Head 60 Minute, I think the 90 and 120 are too much. Stone IPA is also excellent. 21st Amendment is too.

I had a few Budweiser Black Crowns on Friday night. I still stand by that you can do a lot worse than that as far as cheap mass produced stuff goes.

Went to Sun King this afternoon and had a couple of their specialty beers.

Cowbell Porter

5.4% IBU: 23 "Rich creamy porter, with hints of chocolate" Kind of tasted more like a stout than a porter. The flavor really popped though. Nothing extraordinary, but it was good.

Batch 1776: Red, White, & Woo

8.0% IBU: 17.76 "To celebrate our 1776th batch and our freedom, the brewers at Sun King put together a little something we're calling Red, White, & Woo. This Red Porter was brewed with cracked white grains and blue corn, packed with a patriotic punch of roasted malt flavor." This was killer. I had 2 pints, I got quite buzzed.

My brother managed to get me a can of Sun King Whip Fight. I don't remember if I already posted and can't be bothered to look, because it's worth saying again that it is the best beer ever.

My brother managed to get me a can of Sun King Whip Fight. I don't remember if I already posted and can't be bothered to look, because it's worth saying again that it is the best beer ever.

DUDE. I posted about this earlier! Wasn't it amazing?

Sun King just released a "King's Reserve" called Whip Fight which is described as a "bourbon barrel aged Wee Heavy in which rich toffee flavor takes a Burt Lancaster-sized twist with the addition of pecan and semi-sweet chocolate."

It's amazing and tastes exactly how it's described. Incredible.

It is strange. Kind of like a Yoohoo bottle or something.

Lucas - you were the way I found out about it and I almost drove to Indianapolis that day to get it, but my brother said they were already sold out. But he had a bottle for me.

Oh man.

So I had the 120 Minute and it's probably one of my favorite IPAs ever. I've had the 60 and 90 Minute before but this was my first foray with the 120. I really thought it was incredible. Served in a 10oz snifter it kind of stops you before you can ruin your evening if you were trying to drink a pint or something lol. It was very good. I ate around noon, worked out around 4, didn't eat dinner and had this while we waited on a table (right around 7)... that 10oz was enough to get me a little buzzed on this particular day.

After dinner I followed that up with a Palo Santo Marron (ABV: 12% - IBU: 50). It was okay, but honestly didn't leave much of an impression. It kinda tasted like any other similar beer. I still recommend it, but not as heartily as the 120 Minute.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xhado123

My Scotch ale came out OK. Some bottles got contaminated, but w/e. seems to be a decently low percentage.

Also: Hopcat comes to Ann Arbor! Woohoo!

• 9 months later...
Guest Domina Crystalli

Necro BUMP!

Found Hopcat in Lansing. Ooooh, so many beer. But not as many as Ashley's. Lucky me, Ashley's is in town.

Hold up, you're a Michigander?

Dude, get thee to Grand Rapids. We have the original Hopcat, as well as all the other Barfly Ventures digs. We're also, you know, Beer City USA and the hometown of Founders Brewing Company.

And we have a couple of meaderies, a number of wineries, a fair few cideries (is that a word?), and a growing distillery scene.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Had some Barrel Aged Black Marlin and Double Bastard last night, both were epic. Have a mini-hangover right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.