The Beer thread

Guest xhado123

Guest xhado123

Howdy folks. Didn't find a beer thread. There was a general drinks thread, but someone in the new user thread suggested a beer thread.

So, Beer. Grains. Sugars, turned to alcohol, and a bitterant to counter cloying sweetness, typically hops. Drank across the globe.

What's your favourite style?

Guest xhado123

IPA is a good go-to beer, but I am currently on a barelywine kick, sour and high ABV... I've brewed one batch of IPA, and we ended up with an onion flavour if consumed warm. (Chilled, the taste was gone)

I've had mead and didn't really care for it. Too sweet for my taste.

I had a great pilsner last night. Paired really well with a burger and fries.

Guest xhado123

Try dry mead. It's closer to drier white wine with honey flavour.

great pilsner.

Yes, it's possible. But For burger and fries, Belgian trippel. But don't take my word for it!

Found Hopcat in Lansing. Ooooh, so many beer. But not as many as Ashley's. Lucky me, Ashley's is in town.

Guest xhado123

Watermelon is a difficult flavour, it doesn't come through in most brews. Many brewers add watermelon flavour post brew... same with strawberries. Got to use a prohibitive crapton of fruit to flavour the beer.

Who brewed the lemon mint IPA? I want try!

Try dry mead. It's closer to drier white wine with honey flavour.

great pilsner.

Yes, it's possible. But For burger and fries, Belgian trippel. But don't take my word for it!

Found Hopcat in Lansing. Ooooh, so many beer. But not as many as Ashley's. Lucky me, Ashley's is in town.

There was a pretty small beer list, the place is mainly local/organic with jus a few beers to appease the hipsters. I agree that a pilsner is hard to do well, but the 2 I've had that were really good make up for it. It's so simple that it almost always tastes like beer flavored water.

But with the best burger in Columbus, something understated was due.

Though technically not a beer.... in wintertime nothing beats a pint of Guinness. Nothing.

Not a fan of Pale Ales myself, or fruity beers. More often than not they always come with a super strong hoppy aftertaste, which Im not into personally. The exception to this rule though is Einstock Pale Ale. For some reason I like it.

Summer time I usually stick to Lager. Camden Hells or Asahi Super Dry.

Guest xhado123

Encountered while judging yesterday:

Mint Porter

Jalapeno Pilsner

Habanero Stout

Mint Pumpkin Licorice

Cream extract and tangerine

Not allowed to say how they did until the results are revealed. Just saying I had them. Homebrew competition, nothing commercial.

Odine, on 04 Aug 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

Though technically not a beer.... in wintertime nothing beats a pint of Guinness. Nothing.

Actually is a beer. Anyone telling you otherwise is wrong. BJCP recognises it as style 13a, dry stout. One of the world's first light beers. Stands up to a lot of things in mass production.

Guinness is surprisingly low calorie.

I have had beers with all of the ingredients you listed, xhado, except licorice. My new goal in life is to never try a licorice beer.

I bet I would love the tangerine cream. And a local microbrewery in Lancaster, PA makes a chocolate mint stout that is to die for. My guess is that it would be good in a porter too.

And I think the "light beer" tag for Guinness is about it's low Alcohol % content. It's 4.3% (I think) might even be less. 3.6% comes to mind but I can't e certain. One or the other. Whereas a Stella or something is a 5% wife-beater.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.