Drinking as a hobby

What's your favorite alcoholic drink?

I'm not a huge fan of mixed drinks, because if I want something fruity I'll just drink some fruit juice and be happier. I prefer my alcohol straight.

I'm a whiskey fan, especially Jameson, Glenlivet Scotch, and OYO by Middle West Spirits.

Middle West Spirits also has a pretty good vodka as well.

As for beer, I don't really have a go-to drink. I'm not a huge fan of stouts, or dark beers in general. Rogue has a great mocha porter, though. I love Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, but it's probably the only beer I can think of that I prefer from a bottle. The blow up of microbreweries has made it difficult, as there are suddenly tons of places in Columbus, but my favorite local place remains a place called Barley's that's near downtown, in the Arena district (where the Bluejackets play). Great beers, some of their own and some outsiders, and the best grilled chicken wings ever.

at this moment: vodka cran

Absolut, Stoli for shots, neat or rocks

Cuba Libre-Myers's dark rum with mexican Coke is a close second

I like hot beverages in Seattle weather-cocoa with Kahlua and Fireball is my go-to, also like a stiff coffee nudge.

Don't drink beer at all, tastes like perfume to me. If I had to, I could drink a room-temp Chimay Ale.

Long before I tolerated beer, I was a constant vodka drinker. Especially Absolut Mandrin and V-8 Splash. Oh so yummy.

There's a number of craft brews around here that I enjoy, but my default is bottled Bud Light.

Guest xhado123

Beer! As a judge and a brewer, I like beer.

Scotch: Speyside, Oban, Glenmorangie, and a few others...

And then I drink the silly, stupid flavoured stuff.

Also, Wine. Red wine, icewine. Nothing super duper dry, though.

Liquor turns me into a jerk, so I limit myself. I'm a rum girl. Can't really drink stuff straight like Fozzie described.

I mostly drink wine now. Really, I like just about anything. My favorite wine is this random little blend from a winery in Washington that you can only get from their tasting room. We belong to a wine club for Alexandria Nicole cellars, but thinking about dropping it and switching to Novelty Hill/Januik. My husband is really into Cabernet Sauvignon, my favorite is probably Syrah (not Shiraz, that Australian shit is good for cleaning toilets). But I will also drink sweet whites when the pairing/weather calls for it.

"You guys have **** taste blah blah blah poor blah blah blah poor" - Carrie

Oh come on. You got me all wrong.

When it comes to drinking, I have gone through gallons of really terrible stuff. I have no problem spending thousands of dollars on really good stuff (for example, a Yamazaki 25 year old), and have a whole cabinet of bottles like that.. maybe 20-30 in total. But I actually don't tap into that very often. Maybe it'll be my first glass of the night, or it'll be an occasional treat. I'll bring them out for guests, of course. The thing is, 99% of the time I'm drinking with the sole purpose of getting as trashed as possible, as quickly as possible. And for those purposes, opening the Yamazaki 25 yr old is just a waste of one of the world's greatest whiskys. So, to tell you the truth, most of the time I'm drinking straight bottom shelf. Colonel Lee. Old Crow. Popov. Wolfschmidt. Doesn't really matter. Whatever is 1.75 L and cheapest, cause it's all gonna be gone soon anyway.

You see, this is where I run into problems. I tend to turn hobbies into careers. So it went with drinking anyway. And it turned into a 24/7 career. Last drink coincided with a suicide attempt and a bunch of other bad stuff...So yeah, probably best to not engage in this hobby.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Mixed Drinks: I usually like Long Islands, Cap'n & Coke, black jack, margarita on the rocks, Vodka & Red Bull, and Gin Rickey. Basically anything that mixes well with Vodka, tequila, or rum, I suppose.

Beer: I like stouts and IPAs. Can't go wrong with Stone, or Firestone-Walker. I also like Guinness stout, Smithwick's, Bellhaven, Old Speckled hen, Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Wine: I can't seem to drink red wine without getting terrible heartburn, so I usually stick with white wines.

I'm not a big Scotch drinker but I'll drink Jameson or Glenlivet, but I don't like it straight. I have to have ice with it. My go to whiskey to is Teachers Highland Cream blended for home, and I also like Bushmills Irish.

My pride: I really like a from-scratch Bloody Mary in the morning. Must be spicy. May use up to 1/2 infused vodka (pepper, pickle, bacon), but not necessary. Must have fresh celery! Goes perfect with coffee, potatoes, eggs, and a pounding hangover.

My shame: At lunch, I like a margarita, provided it is made with actual lime juice, and a light, young tequila (can't be sickly sweet!!!). A darker, aged tequila is in a shot glass next to it. **** you, I'm not a college girl on spring break.

My love: For dinner this evening, I will be sipping a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon. Hopefully with some rare steak, spicy corn, and fresh salad on the side.

-------

Not terribly picky about wine. As long as it's red and doesn't taste like vinegar, I'm good to go -- yes, be in awe of my sophisticated palate! Generally don't like it white, but there are some seafoody and salady dishes it goes better with.

Used to drink dark beers. Today, I like Nut Browns in the fall/winter, amber and pale when the sun is out. To be honest, I'm not much of a beer drinker anymore. Unlike cocktails, where the food is generally chosen due to its complementary nature, I generally only like beer when it complements pub grub or pizza nowadays. How sad is that?

I'm in summer mode. My fridge is stocked with Harpoon Cider Beer, Mexican 7up (real sugar), cherries and coconut creme. I have orange sherbert in the freezer. What I like to do is put some ice and light rum, sherbert, coconut cream and maybe some vanilla ice cream in a blender and make a rum milkshake orange creamsicle drink. Or rum and 7up.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So, to tell you the truth, most of the time I'm drinking straight bottom shelf. Colonel Lee. Old Crow. Popov. Wolfschmidt. Doesn't really matter. Whatever is 1.75 L and cheapest, cause it's all gonna be gone soon anyway.

Back in the day, I bought an Old Crow mirror and I had it for years. In fact I still have it hanging on my wall, because I think the logo is pretty cool. Then I decided to try Old Crow once. F*cking nasty. Christ, that sh*t isn't fit to disinfect a crack whore's mouth, who pulled an all-niter at some Flying J truck stop glory hole.

I mean I'm the last person to criticize anyone for their particular poison. I drink box wine for chrissake. But Goddam! Old Crow?

I subscribe to the Amanda/Evolence School of Drinking Guidelines. If I'm mixing or looking to get hammered, the cheaper the more, the more, the better. Drinking straight or social drinking-top shelf.

And Chalupacabra- box wine is nothing to be ashamed of. That's actually the preferred method of storage, superior to glass bottles.

As far as spirits go, I like bourbon and Irish whiskey. Bulleit is well nice for a house bourbon. If I gotta mix them with something it's ginger ale and a little lime.

However, spirits tend to make me go Bezerker and that's not good for anyone, especially me...cause often it involves rolling over car bonnets that are traveling at speed, throwing bottles down the street, swearing at strangers and dancing like a maniac with strange women my mother would have warned me to stay away from.

White spirits on the other had are more manageable. Nothing quite like a Hendrix GnT to make me happy in summer, or quietly mournfully depressed in winter, crying in the corner of the room.

So I stick to wine and beer mostly. Guinness is the drink of choice. And I can drink plenty of them without any of the embarrassing mishaps spirits bring to the party.

To be honest, MDMA and soda water is probs the safest and most fun option ever.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Free +1's for everyone! haha!

Basically anything that mixes well with Vodka

V-8 Splash! Oh my, it's so damn good.

Indeed!

I subscribe to the Amanda/Evolence School of Drinking Guidelines. If I'm mixing or looking to get hammered, the cheaper the more, the more, the better. Drinking straight or social drinking-top shelf.

And Chalupacabra- box wine is nothing to be ashamed of. That's actually the preferred method of storage, superior to glass bottles.

As if I have any shame. I drink Vela Delicious blush by the box, without shame, and in fact I am drinking it right now!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.