NBC's "Constantine"

NumberSix

Straight out of the pages of DC Comics! Or, more accurately, the longer-running and vastly superior Vertigo series. And don't get us started on the Keanu Reeves movie.

Anyway: the new trailer from SDCC is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVYtGBhYYG4

Looks mostly authentic, and I notice Astra is still key to his backstory, but there's an image halfway into this trailer that looks like a spoiler and a really upsetting divergence from the comics. But maybe it's a dream, or maybe the wound is less fatal than it totally looks...

• 1 year later...

YES!!!

Matt Ryan to Return as Constantine on Arrow! http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/Constantine1_0.jpg

I loved this show. I never talked about it here (simply because I never new this thread existed), but I did sing its praises in related threads. Perhaps the utter lack of posts in here after the show aired is a sign of why it couldn't stay on the air. I hope not, but be that as it may, I'm extremely thrilled about this. I know that Stephen Amell went to bat for this show before it was cancelled and had publicly offered to appear as Arrow on it and then later had talked about this very possibility of Constantine appearing on Arrow, so it's not a shock. However, it is awesome to hear that it's really going from possibility to reality. Can't wait! :cool:

EDIT: it seems we do know a bit more than just the tweet, there's also this.

I watched it but the show never worked for me because I thought he was miscast. It was like as if Andy Dick tried to play Dr. House. You can have all the cool, tough talking dialogue you want but if you don't buy the actor as tough, it just doesn't work. To me that's why the show didn't work.

Obviously YMMV

I really enjoy his performance as Constantine. Granted, I'm more familiar with the New 52 version of the character than the Hellblazer version, which seems to be a bit toned down. Plus, I think there's only so close you're likely to get to the "heartless bastard" nature of the character on network TV. They did touch on it a bit in one or two episodes, but the TV version is probably ruled a bit more by his conscience, to be sure. I guess in this case it helps not being a hardcore fan of the books. :shrug:

Mine was an on 'n' off fandom, depending on the writers. Besides his original Swamp Thing appearances under Alan Moore and Rick Veitch, I preferred the runs by Garth Ennis, Jamie Delano, Warren Ellis, Eddie Campbell, and Peter Milligan (before he turned the book into a Shade the Changing Man relaunch and had John playing sidekick). Others varied so wildly that I can't imagine anyone having wanted to read all 250 issues.

I'm not as easily bowled over by edgy mature-readers edginess as I used to be, but the fact that this series ran for over twenty years of my life, from teenager to pre-midlife-crisis, still weighs on me in some respects.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.