Game of Thrones Season 5

Ryn

So we can't actively talk about a book that was released 15 years ago because someone might not have read it?

How far back do we have to go with that? Should we not talk about Gone With the Wind without spoiler tags? Frankenstein? Hamlet? The Epic of Gilgamesh? I somehow managed to go through life having never read Beowulf. You better not talk about that without a warning!

Obviously I'm being facetious, but at what point is it your own responsibility?

Now that the show has caught up with the books, I don't think anything can be spoiled. I expect the show and upcoming books will diverge enough with only the song's resolution remaining shared. The storylines in the books but cut from the show may yet pay off in that medium but will likely have no further impact on the show.

I've already said that the show doesn't necessarily follow the books and it shows the stories at different times. There's still potential for things to be included. For example: what happens in the Iron Islands and Balon's Brother.

If it hasn't been on TV it should be a spoiler. I'm sorry but just because you've read the books doesn't mean everyone else has. The argument of how long the books have been out is moot. Most readers only read them because the series came out.

The Topic is 'Game of Thrones Season 5'. 'Not A Song of Ice and Fire' or 'Book Spoilers are Us'.

It's not a difficult request.

Given casting calls and set pictures and rumors and everything else that comes with the 24/7 media age, I'm sure we'll have plenty to discuss between now and then.

I'm with you Stevil, I really am (I mean I'm having the same fight in the Star Wars thread)... I just don't think the Lady Stoneheart "spoiler" is the right hill to die on. I think generally we've been very aware of what we're talking about and taking care to not spoil anything, I know I have.

To answer a previous concern, of course when Winds of Winter comes out we'll take our discussion on that to the book thread as well as return to spoiler box'ing stuff in here that pertains to that work that hasn't appeared on screen yet.

So we can't actively talk about a book that was released 15 years ago because someone might not have read it?

How far back do we have to go with that? Should we not talk about Gone With the Wind without spoiler tags? Frankenstein? Hamlet? The Epic of Gilgamesh? I somehow managed to go through life having never read Beowulf. You better not talk about that without a warning!

Obviously I'm being facetious, but at what point is it your own responsibility?

I think Ryn answered this pretty well:

Now that the show has caught up with the books, I don't think anything can be spoiled.

IMO, when an adaptation catches up to or surpasses its source material, you've had a reasonable amount of time to expose yourself to the source material, and all bets should be off.

Before that point, while there are still major plot points unfolding in the adaptation, asking questions like "Do you think 'X' will happen like it did in the comics/novels or do you think it will happen like this?" is spoilery, and should be avoided on grounds of common sense/non-dickishness.

Note: this isn't a self-serving philosphy on my part. I read ADwD immediately after it was published, and have done a reasonable job (I think) of not spoiling anything for non-book readers here until the series has reached the same point in the book.

It's not moot that A Storm of Swords has been out for 15 years. The story exists. It's out there. Are you going to complain in a Gone With the Wind movie thread if someone talks about the book? Probably not.

Again, at what point does it stop being everyone elses responsibility to protect you from spoilers and it becomes your own? Lucas is right--we won't talk about Winds of Winter spoilers in here when that book is released, we'll do it in the book thread, and we will keep spoilers in here in boxes. But that's because that book will be brand new and the show won't have surpassed it yet.

"Spoil the books for you." Yeah, we're definitely doing it on purpose to ruin your personal enjoyment. Uh huh.

EDIT: Pong got that in there. Heh heh got it in there.

Well this is just speculation on my part...or...call it what you will. I haven't read all the books, to tell the truth, I have only read 1....but for some reason, I cannot help but think of the Targareyens when ever I see the white walkers. I mean the T's were all about dragons and fire, but how ironic it would be if the White Walker ( leader or commander or whatever) that was in the battle against the Wildings, at the end of season 5, was a Targaryen, in his human life, later to turn into a White Walker and only a dragon or blade made from dragon glass could kill them......Yes I know its Crazy, but just had to get it out there. now....go ahead and start hacking my statement into pieces.............

I was reading a TV Tropes article about actors who were recast in series and ran across this about GoT:

"It happened for a lot of characters on Game of Thrones between the original pilot and the series proper (most of the pilot was then reshot with the new cast).

Daenerys Targaryen went from Tamzin Merchant to Emilia Clarke.

Catelyn Stark went from Jennifer Ehle to Michelle Fairley.

This is a particularly odd case, in that when Sansa was brought up by Catelyn to the top table in Winterfell to meet Cersei in the first episode, only Catelyn's shots were reshot, with the Sansa shots from the pilot retained. This explains why Sophie Turner (the actress who plays Sansa) is noticeably younger in this scene than in the rest of the episode (the pilot was filmed about a year and a half before the eventual episode 1).

Magister Illyrio Mopatis went from Ian McNeice to Roger Allam.

Gared went from Richard Ridings to Dermot Keaney.

Ser Waymar Royce went from Jamie Campbell Bower to Rob Ostlere.

The series proper also ended up recasting several roles, including Ser Alliser Thorne, who was originally to be played by Derek Halligan and ended up being played by Owen Teale. The biggest change, however, was Grand Maester Pycelle. Originally, Roy Dotrice had been cast, and he was the personal choice of George R.R. Martin, due both to Dotrice playing Father on Beauty and the Beast, which Martin wrote for, and also because Dotrice was the man who read the audio versions of the books. Dotrice even filmed a scene for the pilot, which was cut, but was scheduled to keep the role when the series began filming. However, he was not in the best of health at the time, and dropped out, replaced by Julian Glover. He later played the smaller role of Hallyne."

Looking back ... any that seem like it would have been better or perhaps a disaster?

I think Tamzin would have been brilliant since she has been on 2 seasons of Salem.

Nothing to add about the recastings (I don't know most of those other actors - at least by name anyway) but... I am just re-watching the series and I noticed how young Sophie Turner looked in that scene. Thought it was pretty odd.

One of the scenes that was shot for the pilot but did not make the series (that I'm incredibly bummed about) was showing a flashback where the Mad King burned Rickard Stark alive and forced Ned's brother Brandon to basically strangle himself trying to save him. Not incredibly necessary but that would have set the scene well for why exactly Robert's Rebellion happened. I've also noticed on my rewatch that there are more references to Lyanna and Rhaegar than I remembered.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.