Game of Thrones Season 5

Ryn

Cool. Recognise a few of those cast members from other films and such. Keisha Castle-Hughes is a bit of a bummer though. Hope she can ditch the New Zealand accent or that might just ruin the immersion for me.

No Arianne. No Greyjoys. Those are two pretty big omissions. Not damning, just different.

I've seen people say they think the Greyjoys may be left out entirely, or held back until season 6, though I can't possibly see the reasoning for the latter since Dany's storyline is in a permanent state of stagnation. Apparently Trystane is the "heir" of Dorne which means the female succession storyline from Dorne is likely cut entirely.

Also no young and old Griff, Wymab Manderly...

RE: The Griffs, I see that as more a season 6 thing, for reasons I can't really articulate, but I wasn't struck at all by their potential exclusion.

I refuse to believe this thing ends in 7 seasons. Ain't no way.

• 6 months later...

Looks fantastic, as always. I kinda like not really knowing what to expect, and as the days go on, I'm more and more okay with the show and the books being separate entities. If the show goes completely off wherever winds of winter ends up going (>implying it ever gets published), Im fine with it as long as it's good.

Also no young and old Griff, Wymab Manderly...

RE: The Griffs, I see that as more a season 6 thing, for reasons I can't really articulate, but I wasn't struck at all by their potential exclusion.

I refuse to believe this thing ends in 7 seasons. Ain't no way.

I don't see why not. What books are season 5 covering? 4 and 5, right?

Not a whole lot happens in books 4 and 5, especially 4.

Hell, I'm only like 75% certain nowadays that the book series ends in "just" 7 books.

How much actually happens in AFFC/ADWD depends on how important the Dornish stuff is to the overall endgame; and the Iron Islands+Dany combo.

I think the show is going to resemble the books in only the broadest of strokes by the end of season 7 (or whenever it ends). I think there's just too much that's going to happen. The storylines have to consolidate at some point and I don't see that happening quickly. Maybe Winds of Winter will change that.

That's true.. I wouldn't be surprised if the books go past 7 either. These fantasy series have a tendency to grow over time.

I also agree the books and the show will become increasingly divergent. We already saw this with season 4... it's been years since I've read these books, but there was quite a bit in season 4 that I don't remember being in the third book.

The trailer looks awesome.

I know an eighth book is being speculated, but it appears that Martin is more than happy and committed to explore tales of minor stories in Westeros in standalone mediums outside of the primary narrative. Between that, Martin's likely heavy involvement in season seven and his age, I don't see how he can much less do an eighth book, let alone anything past that.

Just curious, what is everyone's speculation on how this will end?

I believe Jon Snow is NOT Ned's bastard son. I subscribe to the theory that he is his sister's and Rhaegar Targaryen's son. Along with Tyrion and Daenerys, Snow conquers all.

I believe Jon Snow is NOT Ned's bastard son. I subscribe to the theory that he is his sister's and Rhaegar Targaryen's son. Along with Tyrion and Daenerys, Snow conquers all.

I think that is pretty much the lock of all locks at this point. There's been too much groundwork laid pointing to that. I don't really have a clue what the end game is though. I don't really see any of our principles sitting on the Iron Throne. I think Jon will play a bigger part in dealing with the White Walkers, as Azor Ahai/The Prince Who Was Promised. I suppose Dany could end up winning the throne... but that doesn't sit well with me currently because she's got my least favorite storyline in the books and she's never ever coming to Westeros.

I'd be fine with more than seven books if it wouldn't take him half a ****ing decade between each to finish one.

Yeah, more books wouldn't bother me. In fact, I think that would be awesome if it lets him tell the story he wants to tell. I don't want to experience the type of waiting that has been typical lately though.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am thinking the series will end with a triumvirate of Dany-Snow-Tyrion each with their own kingdoms united as a larger kingdom or a NATO style alliance, after defeating all the threats.

• 1 month later...

Recent reports seem to suggest that Season 6 could be the final season. Seems like Season 5 will contain all of Books 4 and 5 and then maybe even a bit more, which makes sense since the books take place almost completely at the same time. Then they will close out the series in season 6, which also kinda makes sense considering Benioff and Weiss have a synopsis from Martin for the last 2 books but not the actual books from which to draw more detail. Plus seems like they will be cutting alot of characters and plotlines and realaly streamlining things.

If this holds true, this will be my last season watching. I'm not letting some tv show spoil the books for me.

Where do you get that Season 6 would be the last? By all indications 7 is still the plan (and I still think we'll end up with more).

At any rate, I'll watch because A) there's no way to avoid the show spoilers at this point. I'm too active on social media and have too many friends who are show watchers. Also I'm weak willed and would cave eventually anyway and B) It will be a bit of a bummer to not get new materials from the books first but there are enough differences that I don't think that will diminish my enjoyment of the books, whenever they come out, too much.

One of the creators said something like "Season 6 could be the last". I honestly think they aren't sure how they want to go about it. We know HBO would like to extend it. Even if Winds of Winter isn't out before season 6 my guess is that Benioff and Weiss could have access to whatever Martin has writtten whenever they want, which would be most the book.

My guess is they will probably go 7 seasons, but I don't think its for sure.

I thought I read last week they were planning for seven. Martin said that HBO will probably greenlight Season 6 on Season 5 première date (as they usually do, then they would start thinking about Season 7.

I don't think they'd get to the end of the story by the end of 6 seasons. There might still be some things hanging over from the current books by the end of this season. Of course that depends on what they cut out, which could be a fair bit.

I think there would be hell to pay if it all finishes by the end of next year. The end of the year after MIGHT give Martin enough time to finish it all off.

Although TBH I'm not betting on any of the above actually happening. They could go anywhere with this, this is just my blind speculation!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.