Game of Thrones Season 5

Ryn

I can't imagine why she would have changed her mind last second about killing him. They could write some reason for it, but I doubt I would buy it. The whole point was that she stayed failing and stayed losing. This ... here ... finally ... was her chance to regain some bit of her honor.

I can't imagine why she would have changed her mind last second about killing him. They could write some reason for it, but I doubt I would buy it. The whole point was that she stayed failing and stayed losing. This ... here ... finally ... was her chance to regain some bit of her honor.

Agreed. And I say his arc was done. Mostly because I want it to be done -- you don't get to come back after letting some witch burn your daughter alive.

I was bigtime in Camp Stannis, and still think he had some great moments, but in the end, he chose... poorly.

I thought the way they finished Stannis' ark was pretty weak though - I mean it should have always been her to finish him off, but I was hoping for a bit better pay off considering what he had just done. Would have preferred to see him win the battle at Winterfell then have Brienne kill him. Just seems like they burnt the girl for nothing story wise.

Stannis is definitely dead according to the director of the episode. He said he didn't show his actual death because it would be gratuitous. He was already a man ready to die and showing his death served no actual purpose according to him.

Still. A brief shot of the corpse would have helped.

I thought the way they finished Stannis' ark was pretty weak though - I mean it should have always been her to finish him off, but I was hoping for a bit better pay off considering what he had just done. Would have preferred to see him win the battle at Winterfell then have Brienne kill him. Just seems like they burnt the girl for nothing story wise.

I actually consider Stannis's death to be one of the better ones.

He was a burnt out shell of a man who finally realized he'd sold himself and everything he values out for a lie. There was almost a look of relief in his eyes when Brienne showed up. Worked really well for me.

As a general rule, I lean towards "if I don't see him die, he's not dead" especially if we are led to believe he's dead, but I'm pretty sure he's a goner. If he's not, it means Brienne convinced him to help her rescue Sansa at knife-point, but I don't see Briene's character possessing that much guile. She's as subtle as a sledgehammer. She just ran him through.

And I agree that Stannis's character had a pretty good death. Good writing. That son of a bitch sold his soul, and they did a great job in showing how heavily that worn on him in a very short time.

The Stannis situation is really great. I mean obviously no one can condone him killing his daughter, but the GoT world is a crazy world. Magic does exist. In our world if someone says "hey, kill your kid and it will help you" we'd all laugh. But this stuff is real in Westeros. Melisandre did create a mist monster that killed Renly, that happened. It's a fact. Dragons are back, White Walkers are back. Defeating those White Walkers will take incredibly sacrifice.

Don't forget, Stannis wasn't ambitous in the way others are. He truly believed that he HAD to be King to defeat the Walkers. If he didn't become King, the world was doomed anyway.

Let's also not forget that Melisandre's goal was not really to put Stannis on the throne. It was to aid Azor Ahai in defeating the Walkers. She mistakenly believed this was Stannis. It's not, it's incredibly likely to be Jon.

Remember, only death can pay for life. What if, just what if Shireen's death is the price that had to be paid for Jon's ressurection? And what if Jon eventually saves the world from the Long Night?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.