Game of Thrones Season 5

Ryn

Probably because of the false expectation her story would move along a little faster. Now that you have the realistic expectations you can actually enjoy what unfolds.

You're not alone in this. Honest Trailers viciously mocked GOT last year for how long it was taking Dany to get her ass over to Westoros and now ... finally ... last night she makes it clear that's her end game so we're finally moving that direction.

Probably because of the false expectation her story would move along a little faster. Now that you have the realistic expectations you can actually enjoy what unfolds.

Yeah, i think that's exactly it. I got to actually enjoy her taking out the warlock, locking Xaro and Doreah away to die, rather than constantly thinking "OK, that's nice. Now are you packing your bags for King's Landing?"

Valyrian steel is very rare, because the ability to forge it was lost in the Doom of Valyria (what Tyrion/Jorah were discussing as they sailed in the ruins), so the ampunt of Valyrian blades in the world is finite. Many (several? Lots? A few?) families have ancestral Valyrian blades (e.g. the Starks had Ice, the Mormonts had Longclaw). Many have been lost to time though, the Lannisters lost theirs when Tywin's ancestor King Tommen II took the blade when he sailed East to Essos and never returned. The Tarly's (Sam's family, his father is one of the best military minds in Westeros and is a Tyrrell bannerman in the books) have one. There are also several others mentioned still in Westeros, the Corbrays of the Vale have one. Even more are just lost though.

So no, you couldn't outfit an entire army with Valyrian steel. However, there is at least a somewhat ample supply of dragonglass/obsidian in the world, namely at Dragonstone. That can be forged into daggers and arrowheads and such.

But yeah, unless we find out there's a shit ton of obsidian around, I'm thinking dragon fire is our best bet.

And yeah, Wun Wun is awesome.

Funny story about Wun Wun- in the book he kills a dude named Ser Patrek, whose sigil is a navy 5 pointed star on a silver field. Not necessarily noteworthy unless you look at that from GRRM's football Fandom perspective. A giant named Wun Wun (or, One One, or 11) slayed someone with a star as his sigil.

The Lannisters have two Valyrian steel swords now, though, right? Both were products of melting down Steel. Jaime has one and Joffrey had the other. I assume that one is still in their possession, though. Or am I misremembering things?

The two swords that were forged by the Lanisters were made from melting down Ned Stark's sword Ice, which Tywin criticised as being too large.

Agree on the naming front - I was pleased when Arya did not throw Needle into the sea earlier on in the series. It's got a lot of sentimental value!

And one other thing on the latest episode - nice to see Sansa finding out about her brothers at last. I wonder if Rickon ever comes back into it? Need to catch up on those last couple of books!

Right, Jaime got Oathkeeper from Tywin, which he in turn gave to Brienne.

Joffrey got his (Widow's Wail?), which we assume passed to Tommen.

I completely forgot about Jamie giving to Brienne. At least Oathkeeper is headed towards the North, unlike the others.

Alliser is a dick, but I like that he seems to truly be a ranger of the Night's Watch. I loved that he shed tears for Maester Aemon, but then not missing a beat after laying his torch he remarks to Sam that Sam is losing all his friends.

WOW. The scope of that battle with the whites surprised me. Don't they usually hold off until the second-to-last episode for their game-changing battle? Random moments from the battle:

*That giant was killer. I kept expecting him to die, get turned, and **** up his friends.
*I'm ridiculously happy that Tormund is still alive. I can't believe he, Jon, and Pip all made it out of there. I thought we were looking at a death for sure. Keeping that

Thenn around would have been interesting, but dude had balls of STEEL.

*Was anyone else expecting that White Walker to just freeze the water and walk right out to their little boat? When they stopped rowing and sat there three feet from

shore, I was like, "Dudes..."

*I admit I hadn't connected dragon fire to the whites yet. Errant thought--would wildfire kill those undead freaks?

I can barely be bothered with any of the other storylines after that battle. I'm glad Tyrion is back in business, I still support Jorah forever, King's Landing is boring, Arya is intriguing as ever but low-key, and Sansa is just... yeah, I still can't bring myself to like/care about her.

Just a poll--what would Dany have done if Jorah HAD confessed his betrayal to her earlier?

I think it depends on when he confessed. Early, early on? She probably would have forgiven him seeing as how he was her only friend, adviser, and devotee.

I rewatched this episode last night. I'd already forgotten that that White Walker dude was putting out the fire as he walked through it.

Fair point. I think it's also worth noting that her stubbornness/pride grows as the series progresses, so that would affect chances of forgiveness as well.

It was Drogon that Tyrion and Jorah saw in Old Valyria, right? Or are there other dragons just chilling there?

I did indeed.

I'm really impressed with Kit Harrington. I never particularly liked Robb, and I couldn't figure out if it was the character or the actor, but Jon is on his A-game in every scene he's in. He has been that way since the beginning, of course, but he keeps upping the ante. That moment when he was arguing with the Wildling elders and said, "I'm not asking you to forget your dead! I'll never forget mine!" :hail: I'm curious which Stark sibling others are most impressed with, because I think Jon might have pushed out Arya for me.

Yes definitely - Jon is leading that race. Arya has been excellent, but the training this year has been fairly slow going, but I feel will be worth it in the long run.

Sansa has been through a lot of bad times, but a lot of it was down to her poor choices early on - lying to back Joffrey up about the incident on the travel from Winterfell to Kings Landing (and losing her wolf as a result), calling her father a traitor in front of the court which cost her all of her support.

She is still getting a lot of bad stuff happen to her, particularly this year with the Bolton's, so hopefully she can get out of this mess and on to happier storylines.

Bran - well he's learning his talents as well. You've got to assume that his ability to control creatures might lead him to controlling the dragons in an attack maybe? That seems a logical path as no one looks like being able to ride them at the mo.

Can't wait for tonight's episode! Will there be the usual episode 9 mayhem??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.