Game of Thrones Season 5

Ryn

Totally called those dragons being pissy about being locked up. Bad move, Dany.

This episode was pretty benign for me. It was good, as always, but very even. Nothing too unexpected. I'm sure it was just a setup for the season and they'll be throwing big things at us next week.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Im FINALLY caught up with GOT, it took awhile. Cant wait for season 5!

I've been trying to re-watch seasons 1-4. Loved it the first time around, but am I the only one finding GOT is hard to re-watch?

I'm sure we'll revisit that scene.

ShowLoras continues to be a big waste of ****ing space. So disappointing.

ADWD book spoiler re: Mance, which you may or may not be bothered reading if you're a show only watcher.

I guess he's actually dead. (That's the deviation I was talking about when I texted you Jacob). I think they're dramatically altering the North storyline this season so his role is basically done anyway, so actually killing him isn't a big deal in that case.

I've seen the premiere episode three times now and I'm still not sure if I like it.

-Maggy the Frog. I expected uglier/scarier. I think we will/should revisit this scene to see the bit about the valonquar. This is the source of her lifelong disdain of Tyrion. If I had it my way I'd also like to see her prophecy for Melara, because that gives Cersei credence for why her prophecies are accurate.

- I love the Rains of Castamere. Any time that can be added to the soundtrack I approve.

- Cersei/Jaime. "Tyrion may have killed our father, but at least he did it on purpose. You did it by mistake." We saw Cersei and Jaime's relationship start to unravel last season and I think it goes full on this year. Hopefully culminating in Jaime tossing Cersei's note in the fire from AFFC.

- Tyrion and Varys. Where is Ilyrio in this scene? We met him back in season 1 and heard he and Varys conspiring... why not have him at his own home? Varys sounds almost like an optimist/idealist in this scene. Weird. He has always said that he serves "the realm," interesting to see that really at play.

- Mereen. No one gives a ****.

- At the Wall. "Are you a virgin?" I don't get the significance of this line yet. Stannis is the Man(nis). Jon has to convince Mance to bend the knee, etc etc. We hear about the first seeds of dissent against Jon Snow within the Watch. Davos says that some of the brothers don't appreciate the fact that he seems so close to the Wildlings.

- Robin Aryn chilling with Lord Royce. Seems like Petyr just wants to get him out the way. Petyr gets a note that he's careful not to show anyone. Littlefinger and "Alayne" leave.

- Brienne and Pod. Brienne is very disenchanted after having such a close call with Arya and failing to bring her into the fold. Pod suggests they head north, since Sansa may have gone to Jon at the Wall.

- Sansa/Petyr traveling to...??? (My bet: The North!). Sansa is very much part of the game now. She seems more grown up and aware of her circumstances, I bet we'll see her start to manipulate things on her own this year and be much less of a pawn.

- Tywin's... wake, thing. Cersei doesn't care. This is all beneath her. To her, no one actually knew her father so this is a mummer's farce and an insult to people (her) who actually knew her. Lancel (Kevan Lannister's son. Kevan is Tywin's brother) has become a Sparrow and trying to gain penance for his past sins (and they are many).

- Loras/Olyvar. **** this scene. **** this scene so hard. Show Loras is so pointless. I touched on this earlier so no more need to go into it but UGH. Pisses me off so much. The interesting part of this scene is when Loras says Margaery will have to deal with Cersei in King's Landing if they don't marry. She just responds "...Perhaps." Hmmm. Is the little Rose plotting something against our Queen Regent? Also of note, Olyvar is still in Littlefinger's employ at this time, right?

- More Tyrion/Varys. Lots of good barbs being traded back and forth here. "Perhaps we've grown so used to horror, we assume there's no other way," there's Varys sounding like an optimist again. Varys explicitly spells out that he wants Tyrion to help Danaerys ascend the Iron Throne. This is somewhat problematic because he was openly campaigning for her assassination back in season 1.

- Hizdar comes back to Dany. Dany doesn't want to open fighting pits, even if that appeases Yunkai. Blah blah blah. No one cares.

- Dany/Daario. I MISS YOU STRONG BELWAS. Dany/Dragons. They're upset for being locked up. Drogon is still MIA. No one cares.

- Jon/Mance. Mance says the free folk followed him because they respected him. If he kneels for Stannis he loses all that. I get where he's coming from but this is kind of silly. Especially when your life is on the line. Pick your battles dude. Anyway, Melisandre burns Mance and Jon spares him the truly awful death and hits him with an arrow before it gets too bad.

Best line:

"He swings a sword like a girl with palsy."

"All I ever wanted was to fight for a lord I believed in. All the good lords are dead, and the rest are monsters."

"So where are we going, to a land where you trust everyone?"

"I killed my lover with my own hands. I shot my own father with a crossbow." "I never said you were perfect."

"I think you're making a terrible mistake." "The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted."

Best scene: N/A? Maybe Mance/Jon. Tyrion and Varys' second scene maybe.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

-Adding Tyrion/Varys to the Mereeneese **** hole is the only thing I can think of that would improve that story. God I hate Dany and I hate that storyline.

Season 5 Episode 2: The House of Black And White

- Pretty soon the "previously on Game of Thrones" segment will last longer than the actual episode.

- Arya in Braavos! Arya in Braavos! Arya in Braavos! She gets turned away at the House of Black and White... but I imagine we'll be seeing more of that place.

- Brienne and Pod. JEEZ. At the same inn as Petyr/Sansa. Sansa asks Littlefinger about the parchment he got last episode. He says his marriage proposal was accepted. And they're spotted by Podrick! Brienne confronts Petyr and Sansa has a case of Stockholm Syndrome. A chase ensues.

- Cersei/Jaime. Cersei has received a message from Dorne. A message she interprets as a threat against Myrcella. After she insults Jaime quite a bit he says he'll go to Dorne to get Myrcella back... and he won't be asking questions first. He's going to take... Bronn.

- Our first look at Dorne. Finally! Looks like Elia is maybe taking Arianne's place a little bit... though a bit... angrier.

- Daario and Grey Worm discuss finding the Sons of the Harpy. No one cares. Dany decides not to execute a captured Son of Harpy without a fair trial.

- Tyrion/Varys in a carriage on the way to Volantis. Talking.

- Cersei is having random dwarves brought to her by people trying to collect on the bounty on Tyrion. Kevan isn't putting up with her shit... which is great.

- Gilly is being taught how to read by Shireen. Sam points out how young the youngest Lord Commander was. HM. Wonder what that could mean. But Gilly and Shireen are talking about Grey Scale, that's the first time we've gotten extended dialogue about that. Interesting. Selyse checks in like "Hey ya'll, I"m still psycho too"

- Stannis is pissed at Jon for interfering with his orders being carried out. "... but the King in the North, whose name is Stark." Awesome. Stannis wants Jon to deliver him the North. He'll legitimize Jon as a Stark.

- Prior to the Lord Commander elections, Jon tells Sam he is going to turn Stannis down. Sam nominates Jon for Lord Commander. Maester Aemon casts the deciding vote in favor of Jon Snow.

- The Kindly Man shows himself to Arya once again, and turns his face into Jaqen H'Gharr; she gains entrance to the house of black and white.

- Random Mereen guy kills the Harpy without Dany's leave. She isn't happy. She has him killed... in public. People are not pleased. There's a riot and she runs away to the Pyramid. She's feeling pretty down, but Drogon makes another appearance... before he flies away again.

Looking forward to a rewatch of this one. Enjoyed it much more than the first episode.

Agreed, SD.

Shows with so much going on that are this interconnected... honestly, I don't know how you could fully enjoy them unless you do at least 2 at a time. Well, maybe if you have a freakishly good memory or something, but still.

:eek:

Or in my case, 4 at a time! :D

I couldn't resist getting them early, I'm weak.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.