Dealbreakers

ShadowDog

Well when most everyone, from every shot location has talked about seeing the same thing. And that there are sets being talked about from many people then it in a good bet your going to be pissed off then...

Restating again for posterity of the thread:

A hermit Luke who has not restarted the Jedi Order will make me get up and walk out of the theatre. (Okay, not really since I've already paid money, but I won't go see it again and may throw popcorn at the screen.)

I will make growling noises at the screen if Luke is unmarried and has no children, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker. It depends on how it's written.

Agreed with ShadowDog - Luke being tempted by the dark side would be a dealbreaker. Been there, done that. Actually, ANY Skywalker/Solo tempted by the dark side would make me roll my eyes hard.

I can roll with a Skywalker kid being tempted because that's the family tradition. It makes thematic sense. Like the son and grandson of a drunk being tempted by the romance of the drink.

But I'd rather they do something else.

It would make me laugh if they said "oh we can't use the EU because it's too complicated" only to steal the worst plot from the EU.

Sha

Mine is Luke being tempted again by the Dark Side, Jar Jar Binks grandson, or the Empire still being around.

Ok I get the Jar Jar.

But Yoda was tempted in the Clone Wars, so why would Luke not at some point?

Why would the Empire not be around? I would think the Empire could be even more powerful in some areas.

Mine are actually the exact opposite of Mara's: Luke being married to someone other than Mara and having different children, as well as there being different Solo kids. I want to see no offspring in the films.

I won't necessarily walk out of the theater if this happens, but it is my greatest fear (mainly holding out hope the the former "Legends" continuity can still survive via a perceived timeline rift). I actually find the notion of a hermit Luke, directly parallel to his EU counterpart who founded the New Jedi Order, to be a fascinating idea.

Unfortunately, it's looking like that Ridley girl's character is shaping up to be the daughter of Han and Leia, and she ain't Jaina. :(

Luke being tempted by, or falling to darkside-- he faced that and passed. this is what made me hate the EU originally. This is really the only thing I feel like would be an outright mistake. Everything else, whether he is a hermit or not, I can roll with.

Odds are he will be, just feels like where everyone feels he would go.

The Empire still being around is an idea I don't love, but really it depends on how they set it up. If JJ wants as little to have changed from the end of ROTJ as possible, that's kind of disappointing.

Similarly, I don't want the Sith around, Luke beat them too. If there is just a Sith lord with no set-up I don't think I'd like that. If we see a Jedi actually fall to the darkside and rekindle that flame, I'd be more inclined to buy it. I definitely don't want the main villain to be a Sith.

I do have one other dealbreaker, but it's not story related-- if this movie has a ton of winks and nods and elbows to the ribs to remind us of the original Star Wars I'll be annoyed as hell. The Star Trek remakes were so full of that it was distracting.

Being a(n even less than) casual fan of Star Trek, those didn't bother me. They were fun little easter eggs for me me to discover or learn about.

Being a Star Wars uber nerd- yeah I think that would bug me a lot too.

I don't really have any deal breakers. I just don't want it to suck. That's my expectation. I'm going to try to stay pretty spoiler free (at least as it relates to the plot) so I'll go in unblemished and with an open mind. If I start reading stuff I'd definitely turn into one of "you guys," the ones I poke fun at for overreacting to everything perceived to be wrong with the Superman stills or Batman's costume or whatever else.

IMO A Skywalker being tempted is fine, that's the beer ending battle between good and evil. Falling is not. That's a dealbreaker. Falling to the dark side no matter what generation would be like Hilter's offspring starting WWIII... maybe your family should ****ing know better. Skywalkers might be best as the new Yodas, lessons learned and lessons taught.

Luke being tempted by, or falling to darkside [sic]-- he faced that and passed. this is what made me hate the EU originally.

You're referring to Dark Empire. Pretty much everyone at Lucas Licensing regretted that story, though to be fair Luke only "falls" (really he willingly turns) to the dark side as an act of espionage in order to destroy the Empire from within. It's sort of heroic in that regard.

I'd say the bigger sin with that story was bringing Palpatine back from the dead. It totally undermined everything Luke and company accomplished in the films. But it hardly represents the EU as a whole.

Along the same lines of Seth not wanting too many winks and nods to the OT, I hope ships and technologies have evolved. Having the Falcon is one thing, but if the Alliance's main fleet is still X and Y-Wings and Mon Cal cruisers that haven't changed in 30 years, that'll be pretty goddamn lame.

Im all for remnants of the empire being still around. Just because the emperor was killed and 2nd death star was destroyed doesnt mean there couldnt have been factions created within the empire like regional gov who had direct control over their territories.

Remember the empire is modeled after the nazis who were obsessed with the acult,mthology etc which would lead me to believe that a radical faction of the empire could be seeking out sith relics to revive the sith.

Furthermore what if the stormtroopers went rogue and became soldiers for hire. During the decline of the Roman empire, roman soldiers became less loyal to rome and instead became driven as mercs.

I think having the empire in the new films can work.

My deal breaker is anything dealing with alternate realities, time travel, kister becoming Boba Fett.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.