Kevin Smith Talks About being on the Set of Ep 7

Doze

Someone remind Kevin Smith he said this when this movie sucks balls.

His commentary is a fanboy service at best. He addresses the movie from a OT vs PT point of view and somehow infers that the movie reminds him more of the OT (Seeing as the actors are in it) so couldn't be as bad as the PT. Right?

I got that he was praising this new series because of the sets, attention to detail, the practical effects and the general "vibe" or "feel" of the production. Not because of the cast. Cause it made him feel like a kid again. Which comes from the overall package. Not the actors themselves. Though that's what I gleaned from his quotes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people are kind of dismissive of the "real" sets, as if it doesn't really matter when it comes to making a good movie. But I think it's going to be very important. Sure, CGI has come a long way and the background CGI and sets LOOKED pretty good in the PT, but you could tell it was difficult for the actors. I think the green screens hurt the acting. Like when Vallorum is talking to Amidala....you can tell he's very uncomfortable, because (as he confirmed) he wasn't talking to Natalie, he was literally talking to a broom in a bucket. That must be challenging, as an actor. The action stuff looked fake, you could tell they were just swinging sticks at nothing....and, in my opinion, the worst stuff was when characters were talking to thin air. Qui Gon talking to Watto, anybody talking to Jar Jar. They looked like they were talking to thin air, they didn't stay focused on anything, as if someone was really standing there....and as the CGI character would move, the other actors eyes wouldn't move naturally as if they were maintaining eye contact.

I mean seriously, we aren't professional actors...but stand in an empty room and try to have a conversation with nothing. You will look very un-natural and stiff. Liam and Ewan looked uncomfortable many times in the movies, with their actions and dialog...but when they were talking to one another, they looked natural. I think a real set with real things you can interact with and touch will help the performances....or maybe not help the performances, but it certainly hurt the performances in the PT.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a fan of Kevin Smith so I'll chime in here. He is very enthusiastic about a lot of different things (but genuinely so) and sometimes oversells stuff, but part of his appeal is that he has kind of that childlike wonder about movies still even though (or because) he's seen behind the curtain and knows how they are made. Having said that, I've NEVER heard him this excited for anything, so I take that as a very good sign.

He also said that he thought prequels were good because kids liked them and he figured that they were aimed primarily at kids the same way that he liked the OT when he was a kid. But he personally wasn't all that excited about them, but he chalked that up to being a director and knowing how movies are made.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.