Kevin Smith Talks About being on the Set of Ep 7

Doze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4-j4l7N7_M

Some Quote from Kevin Smith about beeing on the stage.

What I saw, I absolutely loved. It was tactile — it was real. It wasn’t a series of ****ing green screens and blue screens in which later a bunch of digital characters would be added. IT was there, it was happening. I saw old friends who I haven’t seen since my childhood, who aren’t really friends, but I love them more than some of my ****ing relatives. I saw uniforms, I saw artillery I haven’t seen since I was a kid. I saw them shooting an actual sequence in a set that was real. I walked across the set, there were explosions. And it looked like a shot right out of a Star Wars movie.
He turns the lights on and there is the Millennium Falcon from my childhood. Now the ship outside looks like a movie set, but the inside, fully replicated, fully built. The guy told me, they took two blueprints: Star Wars and Empire, because the cockpit in Empire was bigger than the cockpit in Star Wars. So they went somewhere between the two. So he takes me over and I’m just looking at it. You look at it from the outside and you can still see inside. I don’t presume we’re going aboard or anything, and then Morgan (JJ’s assistant) says “You ready to go up?” I said (excitedly) “We can go on it?!”
As I walked up that ramp I realized that the something that was missing from those other movies (the prequels) and its now in these movies. And its not the obvious like hey the Millennium Falcon or hey the characters that we know are returning. Its something else entirely — he’s building a tactile world, a world you can touch. And hes replicating with all the love of someone who has the world’s greatest collection of Star Wars figures. And when you walk on that set man, I don’t know how else to describe it except thusly: you use another pop culture reference to describe this pop culture phenomenon. Its like the field of dreams, the Kevin Costner movie. And if JJ builds it, we’re all going to come hard, because its amazing. It looks fantastic. So anyone out there wondering if hes going to pull it off, hes pulling it off. He showed me cut scenes, he showed me sequences, images, pictures. I cried and I hugged that guy. And I’m sure as I was crying and hugging on him that he was thinking “time is money” because theyre making a movie. But he got it. He was very flattered. And I was like “Honestly dude, you’re doing it. You’re making my childhood again. You’re doing our Star Wars. What I saw, blew me away.

He's just not that kind of director. That's why he bailed from doing Green Hornet.

I continually do not understand how Kevin Smith's opinions continue to always be considered news, especially knowing how terrible taste he has at times.

That said, I full agree with his needs, and his reactions feel like a good sign to me.

Yeah I see your point - the recent set photos and the Henson-esque alien cameo from the casting call video have gotten me more excited for the films than I thought I would, purely because they feel more authentic than the prequels did. And don't get me wrong, this is great feedback to get from him...I just think he gets a little over-excited sometimes.

That said, I guess he wasn't going to visit the set then come out saying "they're f**king it up!"

Can't speak for Smith but I dislike the last two prequels the most. Out of those three give me TPM any day of the week and twice Sunday. I think TPM just needs about 10 minutes trimmed out. ANH is loose in the same way, but probably just could do with a handful or less trimmed. AOTC and ROTS are just bollocks, except for maybe two scenes between each (not including how great it is to see Ewan be Obi).

My daughter loves AotC. But she will watch it with the control in her hand and a finger on the skip. Every time she sees Anakin talk to Padme she hits skip. Makes for a great action show. It's sad that a 11 year old girl can't even get in to the love story there.

Can't speak for Smith but I dislike the last two prequels the most. Out of those three give me TPM any day of the week and twice Sunday. I think TPM just needs about 10 minutes trimmed out. ANH is loose in the same way, but probably just could do with a handful or less trimmed. AOTC and ROTS are just bollocks, except for maybe two scenes between each (not including how great it is to see Ewan be Obi).

Hmm-- maybe we should make a thread about what we think is wrong with the Prequels? Have we covered that before?

I want Torch to start a blog where he just discusses what he doesn't like about movies or his alternate casting.

Nightly bylaws state that we must re-hash the merits of the PT at least once every six months and we are quickly approaching the end of a cycle.

You'll find this bylaw right after the one that states MG must create a "This place sucks lately" thread every six months.

That probably means they didn't deviate very far from his last pass at the script.

Dynamite actually published Smith's adaptation of his script for the movie. I don't recall the exact details of either at the moment, I read the adapatation pretty soon after watchign the movie and they didn't strike me as having much in common. Most notably, Smith's story revolved around the son and daughter of the original Green Hornet and Kato, respectively, unlike the movie, which focused on rebooting the originals.

Someone remind Kevin Smith he said this when this movie sucks balls.

His commentary is a fanboy service at best. He addresses the movie from a OT vs PT point of view and somehow infers that the movie reminds him more of the OT (Seeing as the actors are in it) so couldn't be as bad as the PT. Right?

I get what Stevil is saying there is some implied snideness to the PT, but I also have to side with SD. Preconceived notions are just that, things can change.

eg.

I was worried about Indy 4 the moment news broke Shia was in it and then again later that he would be related to Indy. Turns out he wasn't the worst thing in the film.

I was extremely critical of Brandon Routh being cast as Superman and hated the colors of the eventually teased costume. Turns out Routh is great, him being that didn't help the movie however... or make up for wearing Drunk Superman's clothes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.