Hobby Lobby? Proof that conservatives hate women?

Evolence

Reese, personally I think you are missing the larger point to this case. On the surface...Yes, it is about birth control. And on the surface, the case only hinges upon a few methods of birth control that Hobby Lobby is disputing. But I think the MUCH larger point (that Justice Alito in writing the majority opinion seemed to downplay in an incoherent fashion) is that this decision is granting for-profit corporations an unprecedented ability to ignore the law for "the common good" in pursuit of "religious freedom."

Now Alito and the consenting Justices all tried to narrowly construe their logic in this case, which you could look at case law to get a better understanding of. They tried to say that it ONLY applies to this narrow case of certain methods of birth control for closely held corporations. But I'm sorry, Supreme Court cases set precedents, and despite your arguments about a slippery slope, this case grants the mother ****er of a slippery slope to future corporations. While not explicitly granting the ability to ignore laws that are deemed "religiously inconvenient" it certainly seems to open up the possibility to ALL SORTS of future litigation about laws that ANY corporation deems top be against their "religious convictions."

I won't argue further than that if you haven't read the case law, because that really would defeat the point. If you know what I'm talking about though and have a cogent argument for why legal entities that exist only on paper (corporations, as opposed to the INDIVIDUALS who OWN a corporation and DO in fact have the right to free exercise of religion) should have the ability to pick and choose the laws they want to follow...Please engage.

Give me a break! My meal analogy is based on your example of a small % of women would be affected. That is all.

Big picture is people who have certain values and beliefs should not be made to pay for something they find immoral. I cannot call hobby lobby villans when they are providing all but 4 options. That is pretty petty and not worth violating 1st amendment rights because a small% of women want their employer to pay for 4 methods of birth control that they do not agree with based on religion.

Once again look at the big picture here.

I couldn't care less about what happens to Obamacare or women who "can't" get birth control. I do hate Hobby Lobby (and apparently, Amanda), though.

But ya know, in the larger scheme of things, I think it's actually pretty sweet Hobby Lobby can claim a "win," if only to provide yet another example of how problematic and absurd employer-based healthcare is, and pivoting the conversation in that direction. The feminist rage has been fairly entertaining, too.

Thank you, Hobby Lobby.

Good post. One of the few in this thread.

But, to be fair, I clicked on that link and I don't think I said anything in that thread that indicated I hate Hobby Lobby.

I couldn't care less about what happens to Obamacare or women who "can't" get birth control. I do hate Hobby Lobby (and apparently, Amanda), though.

But ya know, in the larger scheme of things, I think it's actually pretty sweet Hobby Lobby can claim a "win," if only to provide yet another example of how problematic and absurd employer-based healthcare is, and pivoting the conversation in that direction. The feminist rage has been fairly entertaining, too.

Thank you, Hobby Lobby.

Good post. One of the few in this thread.

But, to be fair, I clicked on that link and I don't think I said anything in that thread that indicated I hate Hobby Lobby.

Oh, wasn't talking about your position -- I meant I was being mean to you in that thread, so apparently I hate you too!

But of course I don't! Liked your thread in the fake WWII thread just a few moments ago!

:eek:

And how is this NOT true?

I think she's trying to say that when the memes say birth control they are being misleading because the company does cover most birth control, just not 4 morning after pills. At least that's what I get from her posts.

My religious convictions demand that I dust the lawns of Tea Party leaders with ganja seeds from the air while trailing a neon-rainbow banner emblazoned with "FOREVER ))<==>(( FOREVER ))<==>(( FOREVER" behind me and singing along to Halestorm's 'I get off.'

Congratulations, you just won Nightly's award for weirdest post of the month.

My religious convictions demand that I dust the lawns of Tea Party leaders with ganja seeds from the air while trailing a neon-rainbow banner emblazoned with "FOREVER ))<==>(( FOREVER ))<==>(( FOREVER" behind me and singing along to Halestorm's 'I get off.'

Congratulations, you just won Nightly's award for weirdest post of the month.

*bows*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.