Troll for the Day: Anne Coulter suggests the rise in World Cup popularity is because -

Ms. Spam

Is a sign of the nation's moral decay. And it starts with all these illegals.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ann-coulter-blames-usa-world-cup-enthusiasm-on-immigration-growing-interest-in-soccer-is-a-sign-of-nations-moral-decay-9567877.html

Ann Coulter thinks that Americas enthusiastic response to the 2014 World Cup is a sign of the nations moral decay. In fact, so enraged is she by the countrys backing of their national football team, that the controversial US pundit decided to dedicate an entire column to the sport she wishes her fellow citizens would ignore.

Two interesting things on this:

Liberals who keep reposting it or posting articles about it are effectively giving her money and fame, so they should stop. Except for the fact that they can't stop because OMG OUTRAGE!!

And second, FIFA is pretty immoral. There are real reasons you could comment on soccer as encouraging moral decay, but she doesn't offer any reasons. Her reasons are idiotic because the intent is to cause OMG OUTRAGE and get money. And she's done very well.

Yeah on FIFA not being the highest moral standard. I love the underwear fines for not wearing FIFA approved sponsored underwear. Personally I think soccer is BORING!

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. More people have died at matches in the stands than say at a NFL game.

To be honest, I was once again posting material to get people talking again.

Coulter is smart-ish for a blonde.

There were no soccer "little leagues" when I was growing up, either, but they're so common now that "soccer mom" is a descriptive demographic. Surely there's some correlation between the rise in popularity and the number of adults who played soccer as a child.

It's funny. Soccer is big here in San Antonio. There's a three locations in a three mile radius of my house with over 20 soccer fields at these locations for kids to play in leagues. As soon as the Spurs won, it was like the next day bars were putting up USA colors and they're just as packed as when the Spurs were in the playoffs with people watching on big screen teevees. But as a sport its not even something that the gym teacher teaches at the school I teach at. They run laps and then go to the baseball diamond to play some game that uses that same ball dodge ball does but has the rules of baseball or if its raining they play volleyball in the gym.

Maybe Anne's just stymied by the fact that when she goes out to bars or what not it's not just American flags being hoisted but other nations mixed in. Much like when the Spurs won and flags of Argentina and Australia were waved. Nationalism can't compete with globalism.

I thought that the rise in popularity was due to the number of children who grew up playing soccer who are now interested in following the sport alongside other American sports.

I played as a teen. I've despised it ever since.

I played soccer for 6 years growing up and hated it. It was boring and not enough contact and i was always getting yellow and red carded.

I could care less about the world cup or the Olympics. I find all that stuff boring.

As for big mouth Coulter everyone should ignore the bitch and stop giving idiots like this a voice. She is full of shit. Always has been always will be.

My wife played soccer through college, and is a big fan. And soccer actually is fun to watch at a high level. I'd much rather watch soccer than football and watch idiots take decades off their lifespan.

I actually enjoyed the last round of World Cup in 2010. That was back when we had basic cable and got the CBC broadcasts. I'll be honest, I was unemployed and drunk pretty much the whole time, so that may have made the slow pace of the game more tolerable. I liked a lot of matches up until the final game or two. I got kicked out of my house and ended up staying in a homeless shelter-- so I missed the finale to my weeks of watching.

Soccer isn't a bad sport. It's fun to play and okay to watch if you understand it. But it is so damn slow at times. I almost wonder if the matches would cater to America's desire for scoring by shortening the match length to 60 minutes, shortening the field, and widening the goal a bit. As to be indicative of the degeneration of America, I suppose that would only be if you don't like it's popularity with brown-skinned immigrants. I suppose other sports have been degenerative as they were desegregated to include people of color.

I played soccer for 6 years growing up and hated it. It was boring and not enough contact and i was always getting yellow and red cards.

This gave me some serious lols. Maybe I can call it irony and make Carrie Mathison's head explode.

Ann Coulter is just trolling. Or she's an idiot, which is really frightening. Either way, I've been refusing to click on any links to stories about this issue because it just encourages this type of stupid journalism. It's like CNN breaking news about Malaysia flight 370.

Basically, what Destiny said.

Coulter's piece is some of the most obvious trolling on the internet I've seen in some time, and seeing how we're talking about the internet here, that's saying something. The fact that people actually bothered to link to it on FB and pay attention to it also says something.

It's hard to believe it was such a slow news day considering Iraq, Pakistan, illegal kids in detention centers in Texas, the death of Howard Baker and the Obama administration bringing a Libyan into court for the Bengahzi attack and we still thump on about soccer. </sarasm>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.