Iraq - a big waste of money or worth all those lives, money and time?

Ms. Spam

• 1 month later...

Why wont the U.S. take out ISIS now while they are small? Why do we have to wait a decade and allow ISIS to grow in strength and numbers and eventually attack this country.

We did the same thing with Al queda.

We did the same thing about Hitler and the Nazis.

Take these guys out now and stop calling this only a humanitarian mission. You want to help them great, then carry out more bombing operations. And for God sakes can we finally start assisting the Kurds for once? They are the only ones willing to go toe to toe with ISIS.

The US spent weeks moving assets back into place, and from what I understand it's largely ship-based so that causes some lag. I highly doubt we could logistically get significant American troops on the ground for a while more, not that anyone will let that happen.

As an aside, the Kurds have more than earned their country at this point. I know we won't do it because of Turkey, but right now Kurdistan is more functional than Iraq. Perhaps these are the people we should empower to stabilize the region.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As an aside, the Kurds have more than earned their country at this point. I know we won't do it because of Turkey, but right now Kurdistan is more functional than Iraq. Perhaps these are the people we should empower to stabilize the region.

No kidding. Kurds have endured genocide from not just Saddam, but back in the day, from the Turks (Ararat Rebellion), as well. Whether the Sunni or Shia govern Iraq, the Kurds are pretty much screwed because they're a perpetual minority. Turkey really hasn't done a whole lot to help the situation over the past decade, anyway, so why should the US pussyfoot around them? And as far as I can tell, Turkey's irrational opposition to a Kurdistan is pretty much a racist reason, anyway....basically they are afraid the ethnic Kurds in their country will want to join a Kurdish state, but these people have been oppressed by Turkey, Iraq, Syria, and Iran. Whether the Kurds are part of Iraq, or are their own country, they will physically live in the same region either way, so what does it matter if they have their own state in the same region? They have semi-autonomy as it is. Why should so much emphasis be put on what Turkey wants? The plight of the Kurds is no less legitimate than what the Jewish people went through, and they received their own state. Why not one for the Kurds?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.