Episode 8 & 9

Driver

Rumors abounds on the internet that a deal is about signed to have Rian Johnson not only direct the next two episodes, but write them as well. That would make him the only person other than Lucas himself to write and direct more than one SW movie.

Johnson isn't a bad choice-- but I'm surprised they would give him two movies instead of trying others out.

Also curious, but not surprised, Abrams isn't sticking around as director. I'm sure he'll be an EP and continue on as part of the brain trust.

I'm sorry, directing one good movie and a few episodes of TV does NOT qualify you to direct one of the most popular franchises of all time. But who am I kidding? This is basically somebody being hired to be an operations manager. So much of this comes down to the writers, the producers, and Disney execs.

i'm not saying that I don't have confidence in the guy (even though I don't). I just don't KNOW him at all. I haven't seen anything of his, but that's not saying much given the lack of frequency with which I see contemporary film. I'd of just thought they could do better than this. But whatever. I suspect that it wasn't Abrams "not sticking around" to direct the subsequent ones so much as him NOT BEING ASKED TO. I heard rumors of creative conflicts (which wouldn't surprise me at all), which sort of makes getting a lesser known director more sensible-- they can be more easily molded to fill studio desires.

I know at first glance our conversation about how bad the Looper script was may not seem relevant but it proves he has no problem selling out by living with a horrid script just to get a directing credit. Which means that Disney did indeed pick the right man for the job.

Can't recall the name of the film Lucas always cites as helping him choose Marquand. Trivia fail.

As a recent example of making the TV-to-film leap, Alan Taylor went from Game of Thrones to Thor: The Dark World.

Eh. I thought Looper was good. It was certainly more interesting than the majority of sci fi blockbusters from Hollywood. I know the storyline is apples and oranges but Looper was infinitely better than Oblivion with Tom Cruise. The director from District 9 and Elysium could do a good job probably

I know at first glance our conversation about how bad the Looper script was may not seem relevant but it proves he has no problem selling out by living with a horrid script just to get a directing credit. Which means that Disney did indeed pick the right man for the job.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, I'm just not ready to say this was a bad decision yet. The Russo brothers' biggest film previously was You Me and Dupree, and then they went on to make Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the best MCU film yet. So who knows.

That, and also we might be giving too much weight to the Director's job in this particular case. I have a feeling the Disney suits will have a heavy hand in these films. Just as was the case with the Marvel suits in the Winter's Soldier example above.

Yeah, that's setting the bar high.

Having someone who is BETTER than the guy who created the series and directed 2/3 of the films? I don't see why the bar needs to be any higher.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.