Given the new canon, what must we unlearn?

and we're back to Square 1 on whether the Mandalorians are more like 60s Klingons, 90s Klingons, or Ferengi.

No, Mandalorians are in the Clone Wars AND in the next cartoon Rebels. Just everything we have read in the books.

I think "we" might be "worrying" to much over what is what. Maybe the easiest thing to do is operate under; If the films/series don't contradict it then it's plausible.

Mandy History? If it's not contradicted, proceed as normal.

Mara Jade? If she's not shown don't assume dead or never was, maybe she's out there somewhere... carbonite perhaps!

Thrawn? Same thing. Could be hiding. Maybe exisited but died. etc. etc.

Jedi Jawas? Unless otherwise said, possible!

Just because the films are doing their own thing doesn't necessarily mean nothing will ever be referenced or pop in as "always being, it was just not relevant before".

This is why I think the only real changes, firm right off the bat, will be the Solo/Skywalker offspring.

For all we know Luke never taught anybody else the ways of the Force.

This would get me out of the theatre so fast, I swear to god. "PASS ON WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED." "Meh, think I'll go play with some power converters instead."

That is in part why disregarding the EU is not a bad thing. Luke kinda made a mess with his resurrection of the Jedi order.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say forget everything, because it could get confusing. I know Lucasfilm has said that the EU is now not part of the official story and the new movies will not follow anything from the EU....but I personally feel that JJ will include elements from various aspects of the EU. Sort of like how Lucas took some elements of the EU and added it to the PT. So say JJ decides to add a character or a planet or an element of a story into the movie, but it doesn't perfectly follow the source material, it could be confusing. Kind of, in a way, like Khan in ST:ID. Granted they used the time travel arc to "reinvent" the Khan character....it could be confusing because here's a guy who was in an episode and a movie, yet his entire back story is different from the original version. Again that's not really the same because the whole time travel element caused the change. But JJ could add Thrawn in as a cool easter egg or just a not to the EU, but he won't be a powerful or important character and it could get confusing because people will think "Ok, so does Thrawn become powerful after these movies...or what's the deal?" when he could just be a background character for a scene or two.

I don't think JJ will completely throw out everything and anything from the EU, but since they won't be following it, I would personally just ignore it all and take the new movies at face value and only connect them with the first 6 movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.