Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The DC Cinematic Universe Announced

22 replies to this topic

Gman

Gman

Just call me Buck

• Members
  • 1,054 posts
Link and schedule:

http://blogs.indiewi...e-year-20140612

May 2016 Batman v Superman
July 2016 Shazam
Xmas 2016 Sandman
May 2017 Justice League
July 2017 Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 Man Of Steel 2

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

I call BS. THREE 200+million dollar movies in one year, due in less than two years with only one of them in active development? No way. Not realistic.

• The Human Torch, Ryn and Obsidian +1 this

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Poor DC. They try so hard, but they'll never catch up. Marvel is owning them, because they actually have COMPETENT people in charge of their movies.

This is like what, the THIRD attempt to copy Marvel? I don't expect it to succeed. Batman/Superman is going to come out and suck worse than Green Lantern, and they'll start over yet again.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

I also don't know if I buy a Shazam/Captain Marvel movie before Wonder Woman. Billy Batson has no real known IP presence outside of comic fans. Granted Iron Man didn't either, but I think Green Lantern proved that WB doesn't know how to push a second-stringer.

• Ryn +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,630 posts

The ONLY movie on that list I'd care to see is Shazam.  The Big Red Cheese needs a movie for cryin' out loud. 

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Honestly, it could work great if it was more of a family movie, and they got a great kid to play Billy. I just don't see how it fits into the dark n gritty DC cinematic universe.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Instead of Shazam et al another path to a Justice League film could be;

MoS
Batman v Superman
Teen Titans
MoS 2
Justice League

A Teen Titans film in the style of an action/comedy (like GotG) justified in the mirthless MoS Cinematic World because these are teens. Ensure Robin fits with Batfleck, try to work in a cameo Batfleck moment... using him like Nick Fury.

Then MoS 2 with more Wonder Woman in it and Lois Lane's death.

Justice League is Supes, Bats, WW and a couple graduated Titans face off against Black Adam. Little Billy Batson gets found in this film.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,630 posts

Honestly, it could work great if it was more of a family movie, and they got a great kid to play Billy. I just don't see how it fights into the dark n gritty DC cinematic universe.

That's EXACTLY what I mean!  It shouldn't be dark and gritty, but at the same time not campy, either. Light hearted in the right places, straight up action when it needs to be. 

• Ryn +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
My plan of attack with JL would lead into the 2nd Titans film Teen Titans: The Terrible Two. Billy Batson would now be chilling with the Titans. The villains would be angry emo Mary and Freddy, manipulated by The Cult of Black Adam.

My push on Black Adam is because I'd unload a connex of money on Dwayne Johnson's doorstep to get him to be Adam.

Mr. Winch

Mr. Winch

Be Mad. It Helps.

• 3,225 posts

What happened to the planned Justice League Dark ? Was it scrapped and melted into the Sandman ?

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

The reason why Marvel's movies have succeeded is that they are under the control of people who love and understand the source material, and seek to capture the spirit of it as faithfully as possible. DC's movies really, REALLY don't (I'm looking at you, Snyder and Goyer). DC also has zero creative control over the movies (although, given the crap that is the so-called 'New52', that's not necessarily a bad thing), while Marvel does. Until that is understood, and people who actually give a damn are put in place with the DC movies, DC will never get a Justice League film made, and Marvel will continue to run rings around DC in the theaters.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Yes and no-- the movies are coming, and they won't bomb. Most comic fans hated Man of Steel, but it made a but load of money.

The differences you state won't effect if the movies are made or not, it'll just effect if comics adore them.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Yes and no-- the movies are coming, and they won't bomb. Most comic fans hated Man of Steel, but it made a but load of money.

The differences you state won't effect if the movies are made or not, it'll just effect if comics adore them.

They claim the movies are coming. I'll believe it when I see it.

Have they even begun filming on any of them other than Batman V Superman? How are they supposed to have the movies out in two years when they by all reights should have started filming months ago?

And there is no way to know whether or not they will bomb. Personally, I think Batman/Superman might do okay, but I'm not so sure about the rest. As you said, Shazam is an untested property, and that is always risky. It requires the right people to pull off, and Goyer/Snyder are not those people. Same for Sandman. Sandman would certainly be great to see as a movie, but it is a story that is VERY EASY to screw up unless you know what you are doing, and I don't have faith that the people in charge of the DC movies are competent enough.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
When they say Sandman, are they talking the Gaiman version or the dork in the mask and gay air gun?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts
Gaiman.

The biggest thing I'm worried about with this is over saturation and audience fatigue. If this rolls out as planned, plus the MCU and whatever the hell Fox and Sony have planned, it might kill the superhero film genre really fast. And that would suck a lot.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That makes sense but I think it'll be fine. The Vampire genre is over saturated but audiences still flock to the quality versions. If these movies are done well, they'll do well.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

I don't see superhero movies as a genre in and of themselves-- so much as part of the "summer FX heavy genre" genre that's been going hard since 1977.

I'm actually hoping the basic superhero trope breaks soon so that they start branching out. shockingly, this is something Fox is getting even more than Marvel.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Superhero/Summer genre related: I think Marvel could make an awesome R comedy with the Damage Control franchise. Give it to Judd Apatow and tell him to run with it.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

I don't see superhero movies as a genre in and of themselves-- so much as part of the "summer FX heavy genre" genre that's been going hard since 1977.

I'm actually hoping the basic superhero trope breaks soon so that they start branching out. shockingly, this some Fox is getting even more than Marvel.

This Guardians of the Galaxy whatever the Hell it is seems to be breaking the mold.  Hope it blows up so we get more out of the box ****.

• Ryn +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

The Last two X-Movies were out of the box, until their respective third acts where it was back to the same ol. But DOFP and The Wolverine were steps in the right direction. Guardians is basically Star Wars but set in the Marvel cinematic Universe.

• Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

Honestly, it could work great if it was more of a family movie, and they got a great kid to play Billy. I just don't see how it fights into the dark n gritty DC cinematic universe.

That's EXACTLY what I mean!  It shouldn't be dark and gritty, but at the same time not campy, either. Light hearted in the right places, straight up action when it needs to be.

Kinda fits Christopher Columbus' portfolio.

(And I'll forever think the "Shazam" name change is one of the ****ing dumbest things I've ever heard.)

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,630 posts

Even dumber than  the hoodie?

I haven't paid attention to Cap in years, and just read up on the New 52 nonsense . 

• Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Huh. I totally overlooked that Batman vs. Superman and Man of Steel 2 are two separate films.

Reply to this topic