Top Ten Musical Acts TODAY

Pong Messiah

Foo Fighters have been around about TWENTY years. It may make us all feel old as dirt to admit it, but it's true. :no:

Hell, I'll be honest, I don't think I can name ten bands I listen to that fit this category. For these purposes, I'm going to define "been around ten years" as having released the debut album within the last ten years. I'm also including groups formed within that time that may include artists that have been around longer than that. With that in mind, my list would be...

Arctic Monkeys at the top, hands down. Their sound continues to change a bit from album to album, but they have yet to release anything I don't love. My favorite song, though, is still the first I ever heard by them...

A recent discovery (for me) that is probably already second on this list is Dead Sara. I bought this album a week and a half ago and dig it more every time I listen to it...

Bearing a name well-known to metal fans for many years, Newsted is making music a cut above that of it's frontman's former band...

On a different note, Beats Antique is a world/electronic band I discovered through my belly dancer friends...

I'll have to think when I'm more awake and see if I can actually fill out a list of ten bands/artists. There are some bands that I like but don't love, like The Killers and Circa Zero. There are a couple more I would put on the list offhand, but haven't really had the time to delve into as much as I'd like to: Muse and She Wants Revenge.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maybe this is a sign of early onset curmudgeonocity, but I increasingly find myself listening to older music (usually 60s thru early 80s), oftentimes music I was aware of when I was younger but paid little to no attention to, and I am slow to accept new music. I check out the NOW! compilations occasionally, and while I occasionally find a few songs I like (none come to mind right now, off the top of my head), I find a lot of it is just either bad, American Idol-esque music, or music that is soulless, overly produced, and sterile. I really do enjoy listening to local, unsigned music that is new, but no point in talking about those here, since no one is going to know them due to their lack of exposure. When it comes to newer music, I usually find myself drawn to indy rock stuff more than anything else, because top 40 isn't my thing and most neo-metal is unintelligible Cookie Monster Rock that all sounds the same, for the most part. So the following list here is as new as it gets for me:

The Airborne Toxic Event

Arcade Fire

Bloc Party

Explosions in the Sky

Interpol

Iron and Wine

Joe Bonamassa

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Kings of Leon

Maroon 5 (this is as top 40 as I get, I guess)

Mumford and Sons

Sea Wolf

Not sure if this counts as "new" considering these guys' history:

Chickenfoot

aw, Pong didn't like mine! I do listen to country. In Texas there's a lot of Aldean love. Katy Perry is a weakness. I love her more than Lady Gaga music.

I also love Arcade Fire (been around almost as long as Foo Fighters). Kings of Leon are awesome. Adele and Lorde are ones I also listen to pretty much.

Maybe this is a sign of early onset curmudgeonocity, but I increasingly find myself listening to older music

I know exactly what you mean, Chalup. For many years, the majority of new album releases that I find myself truly anticipating come from long established groups - from Rush to New Model Army to Bob Mould to Throwing Muses and on. Meanwhile, there are only two truly new bands of the last decade (Arctic Monkeys and Dead Sara) that I found myself really excited by their releases. In contrast to that, there are many more bands than that from the 60's/70's (The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.) that I was always a casual fan of, but have finally dug deeper and really gotten into.

So, for me, there are more "new" albums from 40-50 years ago that I've been excited about than modern ones.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maybe this is a sign of early onset curmudgeonocity, but I increasingly find myself listening to older music

I know exactly what you mean, Chalup. For many years, the majority of new album releases that I find myself truly anticipating come from long established groups - from Rush to New Model Army to Bob Mould to Throwing Muses and on. Meanwhile, there are only two truly new bands of the last decade (Arctic Monkeys and Dead Sara) that I found myself really excited by their releases. In contrast to that, there are many more bands than that from the 60's/70's (The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.) that I was always a casual fan of, but have finally dug deeper and really gotten into.

So, for me, there are more "new" albums from 40-50 years ago that I've been excited about than modern ones.

Oh Totally! Just because it may be old music, it is new to ME. Or it may be music I couldn't appreciate when I was younger.

In my case, I have liked Steve Miller and heard a lot of his hit, but beyond a handful of songs, I just didn't pay much attention to his work that much. But on May 16th, he came to town with Journey, and his live performance was just AWESOME and now seeing his music through different eyes, and I have been listening Steve Miller a lot lately. They guy is a way under rated guitarist IMHO, too.

I am the opposite. I've listened to more of the new music these last few years that I can't take a classic rock station for too long before I get bored and switch it.

I totally respect that, especially if its just the same set of hits one has listened to for 20 years. For example, I like Alice Cooper, but I want to take a baseball bat to the radio, whenever I hear Schools Out played. But in my case, I don't listen to the radio, so much as listen to albums with more obscure or less played tracks.

Errr.... Of stuff that's been new within the last 10 years:

Fat White Family,

Årabrot,

Ty Segall,

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats,

Black Angels,

Brian Jonestown Massacre (since someone put foo fighters I'll put these guys as they've been around bout the same amount of time)

Goat

Ill be the first to admit that I pretty much capped my itunes years ago and just listen to what I have, so I'm not very up on any newer music. But there are a few acts that I like

Mumford and Sons, Zac Brown Band, Fun.

I guess there are others.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.