Mental Illness?

More irritable, more yelling and mood swings, more obsession with sex. I pace all the time and I sleep 3 hours a night even though I have more energy.

I have been, multiple times. In fact, multiple professionals.

None of what I've said has been self diagnosed or treated. I also thought it was stress and anxiety, until they started asking questions and really diagnosing me. I'm waiting to find the right combination of meds to help me. Right now I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor weekly.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, sounds like anxiety and stress to me.

Fozzie's basically going down the list of signs in a manic episode. He's described irritability, an inability to focus, reduced sleep, delusions of grandeur, and increased sexuality. He also said he had to stop himself from making big impulse purchases.

Yeah, it could be stress too, but I assume that he's had stress before. Add in a family history with what is a very heritable disorder and the very fact that it's disrupting his life enough to worry him, and it's well within the range to see a professional.

I have been, multiple times. In fact, multiple professionals.

None of what I've said has been self diagnosed or treated. I also thought it was stress and anxiety, until they started asking questions and really diagnosing me. I'm waiting to find the right combination of meds to help me. Right now I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a counselor weekly.

I'm glad you're doing that. I had to start with that two years ago due to massive anxiety issues and it helped me out a lot. I hope that they're able to get the medicine combo right for you soon so that you can start to feel better!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Fozzy, I hope things get better for you.

I wish I had something more useful to say, other than maybe you ought to look at things in your life you feel are stressing you out, and maybe talk to those close to you to get their opinion what they think may be causing you stress, too. There could be something in your life that is affecting you in ways you don't even realize. Once you do identify it, you might be able to take steps to change it or eliminate it altogether.

I can say that last summer I was under a lot of stress because my former job of 11 years was just a toxic work environment, and I ultimately got laid off due to budget cuts and a reorg. But you know what? It worked out for the better...I was working within 2 weeks after, and for a better place. At my current job, I have been realizing almost on a daily basis how stressed I was at my old one, and how much it affected me in ways I didn't even realize.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words

Treatment seems to be helping. As does picking the internal battles. Fighting myself on everything was pretty rough, so I started to look for areas that I could safely surrender. For example, I gave into my obsession with the PS4 and traded all of my other video game stuff to get one. No money taken from my family, but I still got my desire and, actually, the act of playing seems to be therapeutic. Concentrating on something that doesn't matter, being allowed to make mistakes and taking time away from my own struggles.

I'm still pretty damn irritable, as you could probably tell from my posts. So now I probably need to find some message boards to troll to release being mean to people I actually interact with.

I have it, I just haven't played it yet. I tried, but I ran into a problem with the install. It shows 100%, but will only let me play the loading game where you're Darth Vader and you kill everyone.

I've been watching my boyfriend play Uncharted 4 (and occasionally playing the adventure parts- I get bored by the onslaught of fifty dudes with machine guns that inevitably happen in every chapter) and it's been pretty fun. The Uncharted games in general are really great fun. I'm also a huge fan of Bloodborne, though it has an extremely frustrating learning curve that isn't forgiving at all. So only play that if you're feeling like truly immersing yourself in learning a video game skill.

I'm glad to hear that you are being kind to yourself! Keep working at it, and talk to people about it! Try not to fight to get back to the old you- that you might not exist. Instead focus understanding what you're going through and gain the tools you need to handle this new aspect of life.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.