Confirmed News: Standalone Films

Doze

FROM STARWARS.com

GARETH EDWARDS AND GARY WHITTA ONBOARD FOR STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM May 22, 2014

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Director choice, okay. Writer choice, meh. People are still assuming the standalones are Solo, Fett and Yoda.

I'd like Ewan McGregor to get a chance to be Obi-Wan again with a kick ass script.

Yes!

Obi-Wan between Episode 3 and 4. Lots of room to play there and Ewan is only getting older so it fits even better.

Go back to Russia

Listen, I "liked" the prequels, ya can't accuse ME of just being a hater. I just don't have any interest in learning about an entirely CGI'd history of Yoda. Fett could maybe be interesting if done well. I'm only willing to give Solo a chance because he's my favorite character. I'm torn between wildly optimistic about the sequel trilogy and not at all optimistic about the stand alone films. That doesn't make any sense, right?

The Wolverine made up for it. Not to mention the MCU model of solo films and ensemble cross-overs. If the movies are good, it'll work. If the EU has succeeded as one thing, it's to see the crawl without an episode number.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Director choice, okay. Writer choice, meh. People are still assuming the standalones are Solo, Fett and Yoda.

I'd like Ewan McGregor to get a chance to be Obi-Wan again with a kick ass script.

Yes!

Obi-Wan between Episode 3 and 4. Lots of room to play there and Ewan is only getting older so it fits even better.

Agreed! I would love an Obi Wan based movie.

Of all the solo movie ideas, Yoda is the worst. In the OT, only every fourth or fifth sentence was backward, while in the prequels it was every damn one. I don't think I could sit trough an entire movie of that. Plus, Yoda looking/acting young takes all the mystique away from the character.

WHY NOT A YOUNG LANDO MOVIE????

Guest El Chalupacabra

Of all the solo movie ideas, Yoda is the worst. In the OT, only every fourth or fifth sentence was backward, while in the prequels it was every damn one. I don't think I could sit trough an entire movie of that. Plus, Yoda looking/acting young takes all the mystique away from the character.

WHY NOT A YOUNG LANDO MOVIE????

Peter Dinklage as a young warrior Yoda before old age turned him wrinkly and hunchbacked.

Gonna have to disagree. The WORST solo movie would be a Solo movie. Recasting Ford would be lame. So would recasting Billy Dee. If they are going to have Lando in a movie, it would be better to have an older Lando, set as a side story to Episodes 7-9.

As for Yoda, I would not be interested in a movie about Yoda as the main character, but I could be interested in a movie about the jedi order when Yoda was young and had a small part in the movie. I don't know about Peter Dinklage being Yoda, but what about the jedi who trained him, or better, cast him as a Sith. I'd like to see the defeat a movie about the Sith Order, and the how they went underground and formed the rule of two....something of an inversion of ROTS.

I would be down for a Boba Fett movie. Daniel Logan, as crazy it is to think, is 27 now and the right age to play Boba Fett. I don't know if he would be a good choice or not, but they could recast him if he isn't. But, as the guy grew up, he actually does look like a passable young Temuera Morrison, whom they can bring back to voice Boba when his helmet is on. Put him in armor and elevator shoes, and he might be able to pull it off?

Directly during and after the OT...

"Boba Fett: Out of the Sarlacc Pit and into the Fire"

It's Star Wars Noir. Was/Is Boba Fett actually Boba Fett?! + The Transporter. Why not even literally on the latter, Statham sounds like OT Boba.

Directly after the PT...

"Obi-Wan and the Witches of Dagobah"

It's Star Wars Indiana Jones. Obi-Wan gets tasked by the forming rebel alliance to find [insert thing and/or person]. He's reluctant, but agrees. While looking for history he discovers his future. Adventure, mystery and perhaps love.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.