Godzilla 2014

Guest El Chalupacabra

B to B+.

Could have been epic, but a lot of fat should have been chewed! Will make a great at home cable tv movie.

Took itself a little too seriously.

I get the whole 'Jaws' thing, less is more. Problem is, they faked us out too many times.

Just when you watched Godzilla slowly (goosebump inducing) rise and roar for the awesome first round (or two) throwdowns, they CUT TO THE NEXT DAY!?!?!

Frustrating.

Too much innocuous human drama. YES, the two killing blows were AWESOME, but just a little too late!

Better written (considering the content) and almost believable story.

However, it was like watching a Rocky movie with an ESPN Sportscenter recap of the fight!

just got back from it. i give it a solid B. i really enjoyed bryan cranston. wish there was more of him. personally, i didn't think there was much fat, i didn't have a problem with the length of the movie. i thought the pace was fine. the problem i had, like with a lot of high budget movies with heavy, heavy effects, is the darkness. the fog. the rain. godzilla had it all. you couldn't really see the monsters well. there was really only a couple of good scenes where you got to see the amazing detail and girth of godzilla. aggravating.

I give it an F! If you are going to call a movie Godzilla then please put Godzilla in the movie!

I never thought I would say this but the 98 Godzilla movie was better and more entertaining than this piece of shit!

Too much human drama and not enough monster fighting. Plus once again why do all these creature features have to happen in the dark and in the rain? This movie was poorly executed and boring and by the time the monster fights happens its short and the wait doesn't satisfy in the least bit.

I had the same problem with this directors approach in his other movie Monsters. There were no monsters and was horrible. I am not excited about this guy touching a star wars movie. I couldn't imagine if he did a Boba Fett movie. 5 second shot of mandalore armor, 3 seconds of Jett pack and 1 minute of total film time with Fett being shown.

Hell there is more Godzilla footage in the Fiat car commercial than the actual movie.

How can a studio executive after watching this film say "I'm sure everyone who sees this will accept only seeing Godzilla backplates more than him in this movie."

this film is the ultimate fail of using the Jaws suspense build up.

It also didn't help that he had elephant like feet?!?

One of the worst things about the silly Japanese films was that the man in the suit had terribly large, flat, Brontosaurus, like feet!

A designer/animater could argue that the toes were simply retracted, otherwise, how could he swim?!?

However, it was still a visual letdown seeing unnaturaly round flat feet as a first impression!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I give it an F! If you are going to call a movie Godzilla then please put Godzilla in the movie!

I never thought I would say this but the 98 Godzilla movie was better and more entertaining than this piece of ****!

Personal taste and such, but better than Godzilla 1998? Whatever you are smoking, I want some! That sh*t must be good!

I would give this movie a B-/C+. I think I enjoyed Pacific Rim more, however, and I think Cloverfield almost edges this movie out, except for the Godzilla scenes themselves.

I do agree there should have been more Godzilla. A LOT more.

I found the MUTOs appearance derivative, and too much like the Cloverfield monster. The MUTO origins were so close to how Rodan was discovered, they might as well have had Rodan in this movie, instead, especially since one MUTO flew, anyway.

No one watches Godzilla movies for the human drama,so that isn't what bugged me. In fact, the human drama (AKA the Brody family sub plot) wasn't so bad. No worse than any other Toho Godzilla movie, anyway. Generic for sure, but not horrid.

I wish we had more Heisenberg ravings, and were told more of what he supposedly knew. In fact, we should have had more Heisenberg, period. I went in expecting to see Bryan Cranston as a main character with all the downlow onthe Big G, but for reasons I don't want to spoil, we don't.

Every scene Godzilla was in, though, almost makes up for the shortcomings of the movie, but I would have liked to see more 1954 footage of Godzilla. That could have easily been a nice 20 minute prologue. But the lack of Godzilla is too glaring, especially when the MUTOs get more screen time than the big G.

I agree I didn't like Godzilla's feet, but other than that, they got him looking right...almost as if he could have been a real creature, and more dragon like than dinosaur, to me. Far better looking than Godzilla 1998, AKA GINO, for sure. GINO was just some giant T-Rex, with an iguana head.

did anyone catch the scene when the Brodys were in their old Japanese house, and there was a glass cage with bugs in it. On the bottom of the cage, written in a child's hand writing was "Mothra!" I am sensing if a sequel is green lit, we will see Mothra VS Godzilla.

I'm not smoking. Its hard for me to say this but the 98 movie as bad as it was and I hated it because I'm a huge godzilla fan was more "entertaining" than this new movie. There was just no substance in this new movie that was exciting or enjoyable. It fails as a summer blockbuster due to the lack of action and epic fights. There is no need for suspense in revealing godzilla because we know what he looks like and what he can do. There just was none of that. Every action scene was too short and not intense at all.

As long winded as peter jacksons king kong was it gave us the fans plenty of king kong and some kick ass jaw breaking fight scenes. Why in 2014 can't Godzilla do that?

Took itself a little too seriously.

I get the whole 'Jaws' thing, less is more. Problem is, they faked us out too many times.

Just when you watched Godzilla slowly (goosebump inducing) rise and roar for the awesome first round (or two) throwdowns, they CUT TO THE NEXT DAY!?!?!

Frustrating.

This, basically. There's only so many times a film can skip entire action scenes before I begin to wonder if they ran out of money before the director could finish making the film he truly envisioned, or if this is his idea of cleverly building suspense. And if questions like that are flitting through my head during a monster movie, it means the filmmakers are failing at Summer Blockbuster Production Job One: distract me from thinking.

Sure, the one eventual monster fight is spectacular, but first we had to spend 90+ minutes watching generic army guy fortuitously Forrest Gumping his way through various catastrophes, most of which were already over by the time he reached them. It was like browsing the breathtaking Instagram account of an eastern-hemisphere war survivor, except this one dude keeps walking in front of your monitor every few minutes because he wants your attention.

More of him in exchange for less of Godzilla was not an even tradeoff.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not smoking. Its hard for me to say this but the 98 movie as bad as it was and I hated it because I'm a huge godzilla fan was more "entertaining" than this new movie. There was just no substance in this new movie that was exciting or enjoyable. It fails as a summer blockbuster due to the lack of action and epic fights. There is no need for suspense in revealing godzilla because we know what he looks like and what he can do. There just was none of that. Every action scene was too short and not intense at all.

As long winded as peter jacksons king kong was it gave us the fans plenty of king kong and some kick ass jaw breaking fight scenes. Why in 2014 can't Godzilla do that?

Fair enough that Godzilla 2014 was flat in parts and should have had Godzilla in it a lot more. I agree on that. You obviously enjoyed it a lot less than anyone posting in this thread so far, and you have a pretty good argument why, too. All I am saying is Godzilla 1998 was an even worse failure all around. It's hard for me to imagine someone actually saying they liked Godzilla 1998 better than 2014, and actually mean it. Like I said, personal taste I guess.

The way I feel about Godzilla 2014, it left me wanting more, and it did fall short. It made me feel that it didn't live up to the hype. It's not that it didn't have action, because it did, but most of it is stuff we have seen in other films before, or was just filler until the monster fight scenes. The biggest problem for me is the MUTOs...as I said above, they were just too derivative. The movie, for me, wasn't horrible, but really almost generic in many spots. However, the Godzilla scenes do redeem it for me for the most part. Hopefully, now that the reboot origin story is out of the way, if a sequel is green lit, they will learn from this and have a lot more action

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.