Gotham City!

Ms. Spam

Granted this series is it's own mishmash continuity, but ideally at Gordon's age he should know who he is. By this point he could be a retired Seal and Lt. in the police, husband and if not already about to be a father. He's accomplished, an alpha, a leader of men.

Gordon's struggles should not revolve around personal identity, he should be the personification of the common man versus the establishment. He knows his role, the drama comes from figuring out how to accomplish his goals and balance those with his family life. Adultry is Gordon's crutch, not wondering which side of the line he's on.

Messing with that by installing self doubt or lack of identity essentially kills Gordon and just has an unrelated character use his name.

It's still early doors and there's a lot of character development to go.

I don't read comics so I don't know what young Gordon was like. I don't know how he learned to be the great man he became in his later years. What mistakes he made to mould his character. I just know he's a bad ass with strong ideals. That is represented in this show.

I love this show. It's delightfully silly. The stuff that makes me roll my eyes for other shows makes me smile and consider it charming here. I'm not prepared to call it great or anything, but I really enjoy watching it all the same.

Those're pretty much my exact thoughts about this show. It took a few episodes to really get me into it, but I have really been enjoying it ever since, despite its flaws.

Granted this series is it's own mishmash continuity, but ideally at Gordon's age he should know who he is. By this point he could be a retired Seal and Lt. in the police, husband and if not already about to be a father. He's accomplished, an alpha, a leader of men.

Gordon's struggles should not revolve around personal identity, he should be the personification of the common man versus the establishment. He knows his role, the drama comes from figuring out how to accomplish his goals and balance those with his family life. Adultry is Gordon's crutch, not wondering which side of the line he's on.

Messing with that by installing self doubt or lack of identity essentially kills Gordon and just has an unrelated character use his name.

I don't think it is a matter of him finding himself. It's a matter of him knowing that the person he is and the things he believes in are out of sorts with virtually everyone in power. If he's uncomfortable being moral, it seems to me to only be in the sense that he knows that showing morality puts himself and anyone he cares for at risk. He's a relatively small fish in a big, dirty pond. He needs to be true to himself, but still play things smart. Longhaul, big picture, and all that. If he was your typical brazenly bold comic book hero type, he would've been dead by episode two.

Also, Alfred rules.

I'm loving this show. I could give a crap about universe continuity. Leave that to Marvel. DC is known for its infinite multiverse. I like the prequelesque take they are using for these pivotal Batman characters, but without Batman. Sort of. We still get a taste of Bruce Wayne in his adolescence and this is much more than I was expecting from this series. Didn't know how I felt at first, but I'm in for the duration.

:green:

• 1 month later...

I disagree.

I thought we are in the process of establishing a new (and hopefully long-term) villain.

Penguin got punched pretty damn hard.

Cat and Ivy raided Jim's apartment.

We had a decent who-dunnit going on (I switched back and forth who it was).

The mob scenes with Butch were straight out of The Sopranos. Notice the Satriani's (Satriale's) reference??

Harvey stole the show with his wit though. He had me laughing when he turned up and frog-marched that guy off.

Cool episode IMO!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's new ep was fun. Gordon taking out the Electrocutioner with rubber boots and a cup of water, like he's America's next top MacGyver. Meanwhile, Rawls from The Wire showing why he's the man in organized crime, Zsasz reminding us he hasn't gone anywhere, Penguin gleefully lording victory over Fish (once he got over his recurring pratfall problem), and...okay, well, no Bruce or Alfred, and the episode doesn't get an A+ because there were some seconds with Barbara in them.

But still. Ben Edlund just needs to write all the episodes.

Also very impressed that the showrunners dove that deeply into my childhood Bat-catalog to dig out a Z-lister like the Electrocutioner. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.