Gotham City!

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

Batman = Jesus? I knew the writers we're getting out of control with how unbearable he is!

• 5 months later...

Unlike Scorpion I'm still bothering with this show.

I like some of the characterizations. Also Donal Logue. I am noticing something wickedly bad. So 'Nigma and Penguin are older so when Bruce finally become Batman he's beating on old people. But Catwoman is Bruce's age because well, you work it out.

Compared to other DC comics takes on their universe on television this one has been okay. I like the different direction than say Arrow of Flash. (Flash has been funny because he's all tire the villain out and then "BOOOOP". ) It's still dark soap opera stuff with Barbara Gordon's previous lesbian relationship but the action is fun and Jada Pinkett Smith is scary.

Eh, the difference in age of the actual actors is only in the 10-15 year range, so the characters could easily be less. Hardly that unusual of a gap, it's just more noticeable when one of them is a teenager.

Anywho, I really like this show. I'm not crazy about everything (it seems quite a leap from what we've seen out of the well-into-adulthood Enigma to the Riddler that we know, for example). Still, I'm enjoying things well enough and can see myself enjoying it more as the show presumably gets stronger.

Since I don't see an existing thread, yet, and am too lazy right now to start one, I should point out that I was looking forward to Gotham much, much more than Constantine - and yet, though I do like Gotham, after just one episode, I may like Constantine ever more. Though I'm a much bigger Batman fan, overall, I thought that Constantine was a very strong premier. Can't wait to see what develops down the road!

(And it's cool that, even though we currently have four DC shows running, we have three different overall feels to them. The variety makes it easier to avoid the potential overload that the increasing small screen comic book saturation risks.)

Gotham has been really good the last two episodes. It's been more "cop show set in Gotham" rather than "THIS IS A BATMAN PREQUEL, WELL, WE DON'T HAVE BATMAN BUT LOOK AT EVERYTHING ELSE WE HAVE!"

Penguin, Gordon, Harvey, Falcone, and even young Bruce have been great bright spots.

The darkest spot is of course Fish Mooney.

Agreed. Before the show first aired, it was presented as simply being about the Gotham P.D. in general and the early days of Jim Gordon specifically. That's all that was needed to make it appealing and the show's best moments have proven that that's all that is needed to make it enjoyable. The rest is more often distracting.

Yes, it's nice to see a few nods and subtle signs that we are in a DC world where the idea of what's possible gets stretched more than your average cop show and even a few other known characters are seen or at least mentioned. Being hit over the head certainly isn't necessary, though, and the idea that every future Batman villain all had their formative start at the exact same time and place as Batman did is actually less believable than a guy using weather balloons to kill people.

• 2 weeks later...

Setting aside stupid new "villains" like the Spirit of the Goat, Balloonman, and Stabby-Spyglass Guy, the show's been improving over the weeks. It's still Penguin's world to rock, but I love whenever Rawls from The Wire comes in and wins his scenes as Falcone, too.

Sadly, Gordon's now one of my two least favorite characters. For some reason Ben McKenzie seems really uncomfortable playing someone who's a decent guy at heart. Whenever he has to say anything morally upright and reassuring, he looks like he's trying to suppress ulcer pains.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, Gordon's now one of my two least favorite characters. For some reason Ben McKenzie seems really uncomfortable playing someone who's a decent guy at heart. Whenever he has to say anything morally upright and reassuring, he looks like he's trying to suppress ulcer pains.

I think he's meant to look uncomfortable. He is the outsider in the precinct and his colleagues, his employers (the city) and the people who run the city really (The Mob) all do their best to make sure his job is far from easy. I know what you mean about the facial expressions though. But it hasn't made me dislike him. He's a very rough around the edges Jim Gordon and I think that he's still very much finding out about who he is.

---------------

Alfred reminds me of Willikins the Butler from the Discworld series. Willikins is the consummate professional butler but his past contained at least some street-fighting, military service, assassin work etc. He can make a shiv out of anything which is ace.

Can I just say how much I enjoy the kids in this show. I think their acting is brilliant and their innocent, experimental first-love is so heart-warming.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.