Gotham City!

Ms. Spam

It bugs me that they aren't unifying their universe. Is this supposed to be Ben Affleck as a kid? If Batman gets his own movie after Bats vs. Supes will they use this guy as Gordon? Does this show connect to Arrow?

wtf DC.

From my understanding it is more of a Gordon history with him as a detective first brought into the force and his first case is Bruce Wayne's parents death and the earlier life of characters before Batman really interacts with them. Per the Wiki page these are the stars:

Ben McKenzie as James Gordon: an idealistic rookie detective for the Gotham City Police Department Homicide Squad, a former college football star and a war hero.

Sean Pertwee as Alfred Pennyworth: a tough-as-nails ex-marine from East London, Pennyworth has loyally served the Wayne family. Now, in the wake of their tragic deaths, he’s fiercely protective of the young Bruce Wayne — the boy who will eventually become Batman.

Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot: with the brains of a chess grandmaster and the morals of a jackal, Cobblepot is a minion for gangster Fish Mooney, and hides his sadistic lust for power behind an exquisitely polite demeanor.

Zabryna Guevara as Sarah Essen: Captain of the Gotham City Police Department Homicide Squad and Gordon's boss, she balances the two worlds of police and politics with a Machiavellian skill that’s as much corporate litigator as cop.

Erin Richards as Barbara Kean: a sophisticated emergency doctor and Gordon's wife, Kean stands by her husband amid the corrupt world of Gotham.

Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock: Gordon's rough-around-the-edges partner and mentor.

Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney: an imposing, hotheaded and notoriously sadistic crime boss and nightclub owner with street smarts and almost extra-sensory abilities.

David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne: a young boy who has been sentenced to a solitary life after the tragic murder of his wealthy parents. He is serious and soulful, and relies on the guidance and protection of his butler, Alfred Pennyworth, and Det. James Gordon.

Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle: a teenage orphan, street thief and skilled pickpocket who is suspicious and wholly unpredictable.

Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma: a forensic scientist working for the GCPD who speaks in a cryptic language.

Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya: a detective in the major crimes unit of the Gotham Police Department.

Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen, a detective in the Gotham Police Department

Yeah I know what it is. It's based on bits of Year One, Zero Year and Gotham Central. But given how much they are working with here-- especially establishing half of Batman's rogue's gallery while Bruce Wayne is a kid makes it difficult to connect to the current Batman Ben Affleck is playing. If (when) he gets his own Batman movie it will be difficult to jive this series with it, which is kind of lame.

DC has Marvel issues. They're cross-marketing so much that the stories get muddied. It probably has do with multiple re-writes of scripts and changes that happen over the year to licensing. Arrow is just cheesey soap opera stuff. To see Batman finally brought to the little screen is tricky which is why I think it is so far into the Batman past. Batman>Superman in the nerd cannon. My nephews still would rather be Batman than any other character when pretending.

Of course, I was a Marvel fangirl and have not read much Batman.

It bugs me that they aren't unifying their universe. Is this supposed to be Ben Affleck as a kid? If Batman gets his own movie after Bats vs. Supes will they use this guy as Gordon? Does this show connect to Arrow?

"Oh... I guess that would make sense. Do you think we could do it before Marvel picks up on that idea?"

-some guy in a DC board room, probably.

They NEED Marvel issues. Marvel movie, Agents of SHIELD and the new Agent Carter all take place in the same universe and cross over with each other-- just like comic books.

It's just frustrating to watch DC fail to get it together. Arrow is liked by many, and has introduced tons of DC universe stuff, but probably isn't tying in to the movies. The next movies are all about the Justice League. Where does this show fit in? Same universe as Arrow, or Man of Steel? Or in it's own universe? IF so, why not be more unified?

Granted they've done it before, Superman Returns came out the same time Smallville was on and it's not like people really cared, it's just frustrating to see Marvel get it right, and DC continue to get it wrong at every turn.

Guest El Chalupacabra

A Batman universe show without Batman will end after the first season, just like Birds of Prey.

If they were going to do a Detective Gordon show, they should have left the rogues gallery out of it, and had Alfred helping somehow with catching the murderers of Bruce's parents.

Jim Gordon, sans mustache? I figured the character was born with one. Not sure I can watch this show if Gordon doesn't have a soup strainer. Unless the climax of the first season is the appearance of his trademark crumb catcher.

I don't know. Making a TV show about Batman's city from BEFORE he was Batman doing Batman things seems kind of like making a TV show about Jesus' town from BEFORE he was Jesus doing Jesus things.

Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya: a detective in the major crimes unit of the Gotham Police Department.
Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen, a detective in the Gotham Police Department

Really glad to see these characters on the big screen. Can Mackenzie Bock and Eric Cohen (or Stacy! Oh man, what if Stacy was on this show, wait, she'd probably be a fetus at this point) be far behind?

But given how much they are working with here-- especially establishing half of Batman's rogue's gallery while Bruce Wayne is a kid makes it difficult to connect to the current Batman Ben Affleck is playing.

The age thing bugs me more than anything. By the time he grows up to be Batman, all the other familiar players will be 2-3 times his age and treat him like he's some snot-nosed kid. Kinda like early issues of Ultimate Spider-Man.

I guess you could treat this as a DC Elseworlds project where 30-year-old Batman eventually ends up romancing a 50-year-old Catwoman...

The actors for Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle seem to be close in age. We can probably assume that the characters aren't that far apart in age either. Probably no more than 5 years age difference, I'd expect. Would a 30-year-old Batman romancing a 35-year-old Catwoman be unusual?

DC doesn't seem to get the unifying universe thing. I don't think the tv version of Green Arrow or Flash will make it to the bit screen either, not will the TV Constantine (which looks great) and the supposed Justice League Dark film.

Because in a few years' time they can film their own Crisis.

It makes sense for the DC cinematic universe to be hopelessly fractured while the much of the Marvel one is cohesive. Marvel's comics, from the beginning, strove for that interlocked quality and would go out of the way to address the reader and let them know how and where the adventures of one character would intersect with another (for example, "Why is Peter Parker in such a hurry? Read his epic crossover with the Ol' Hornhead himself in Daredevil #16, now on news-stands, for the explanation!") whereas DC at the same time never really bothered to make the adventures of, say, Superman and Batman when they'd team up in World's Finest gel with their individual books.

And, moreover, when Marvel chose to resurrect popular characters from an earlier time like Namor, Captain America, The Human Torch they'd be integrated into the ongoing Marvel story and their absence would be explained. When DC choose to do that they kept the old characters relegated to a parallel universe which would only occasionally interact with theirs.

So (some of) the Marvel movies are kind of like all the Marvel comics and (all of) the DC movies are kind of like some of the DC comics. Symmetry!!!!11!

To be fair, some of their corporate shills also have bad taste.

MARVEL RULZ DC DRUUUULLLLLZ 1!

1 I was trying to think of books that are exceptions to the "DC DRUUUULLLLLZZZ!" rule here and almost entirely coming up blank. Astro City? The Unwritten? Uh oh. Within the DCU proper I can barely scrape together a smidgen of excitement for the upcoming Romita/Johns Superman, a certain amount of respect for the Gail Simone Batgirl, a liking for whenever Cliff Chiang does more than just the covers for Wonder Woman, and ... uh ... does Neil Gaiman's return to Sandman with JHWIII count? I kinda like that ... all 2 issues of it.

Umm. Huh. Maybe I should be reading Jeff Parker on Aquaman? Cullen Bunn and Dale Eaglesham (or is Rags Morales now) are doing a Sinestro book? They're letting Justin Jordan write Green Lantern, that seems nice of them, he's probably doing a good job writing Green Lantern. Ann Nocenti (!) is writing Catwoman? Some unholy abomination called STAR-SPANGLED WAR STORIES FEATURING G.I. ZOMBIE: FUTURES END #1 is shipping in September. That's something to look forward to right there.

They keep putting interesting writers on the second-tier Green Lantern books (Bunn! Milligan! Soule!), but I get the impression you have to collect all the GL books for any of their quarterly crossovers to make sense, so I haven't bothered.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.