Han will die in E7

Darth Ender

Great point, Svenn. That bit does seem to contradict Yoda's "only what you take with you" bit, but like you said maybe the two descriptions are meant to work to together. Maybe Yoda is leading Luke to think about a certain thing to test him. We know from the films that the Jedi undergo trials, we're never told what those are on screen, but it's probably safe to say it's not a bunch of multiple choice quizzes.

Onto the topic it is safe to assume an original character will die. Han dying a heroic fighting death will make for great screen. Luke will obviously be the Jedi master and like Obi Wan (ANH) and Qui Gon Jin (PM) he is logically on the top of the list. Luke dying though could better come off in episode VIII or IX like Yoda's death.

• 2 weeks later...

Our new lead character could go at it Greatest American Hero style -- they find a lightsaber, a robe, and no instruction manual, and just wing it. With wacky results! Lots of accidentally tearing doorknobs off doors, lightsabering the furniture, levitating into ceilings, and Jedi-mind-tricking people into doing what they say even when they say stupid things, like telling someone to "buzz off" and the midi-chlorians make the subject pretend to fly away while making bumblebee noises.

...or Luke finally learns how to read and write, and maybe he publishes a Jedi training manual shortly before he's murdered by the new Sith Lord Darth Defenestratus or whatever. Either way could work.

• 8 months later...

Frankly I don't think Harrison Ford can even play Han Solo anymore. After decades of playing brooding, tortured, serious type characters I fully expect his portrayal of old Han to look, well, old.

So really Han is better off dead.

Frankly I don't think Harrison Ford can even play Han Solo anymore. After decades of playing brooding, tortured, serious type characters I fully expect his portrayal of old Han to look, well, old.

So really Han is better off dead.

I agree. I can see Luke and Leia being able to fill secondary, yet essential, characters as a mentor and a political leader. I have a hard time seeing Han filling a background role as the movies transition to the younger cast. I like the idea of him being a prominent protagonist in this film and going out firing.

Dang this is a good thread and I'm coming in so late to it. But heck, I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I agree with those saying the Jedi fell because they were blind. They were basically sitting up in their ivory tower oblivious to what was happening all around them. They key to for me is in AOTC when Padme tells the Jedi she believes Count Dooku is behind the plot to kill her. Their response is:

"He is a political idealist, not a murderer." - Ki-Adi-Mundi

"You know, my lady, that Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He couldn't assassinate anyone." -Mace Windu

That exchange alone is very telling in how out of touch the Jedi really are with everything going on around them. By the time they figure it out, it's too late.

As for the ghosts. I like the way the ghosts were presented in the OT. You have ghosts that appear and disappear in short visions (mostly Obi Wan). They get to talk to a strong Force user who they were close to (in this case Luke.) And that's it. They don't get to interact with just anybody and they don't affect anything in any way, especially physically. Otherwise why wouldn't Obi Wan and Yoda just drop a beam on the Emperor's head or just sabotage the Death Star or Star Destroyer to crash with him on it?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Good lord. He almost died before the movie even came out.

No Kidding! Jeez we lost Spock, now this! Poor guy. First the Falcon breaks his leg, now he crashes a plane. Sounds like he had some serious injuries, and cuts to the face, but was conscious when the fire dept arrived. Hopefully he's not too badly hurt and will recover soon.

I've thought the rumors of killing Han off were bogus, but if they are bogus, they may become self fulfilling rumors, and they may have to kill off Han, if Ford keeps getting hurt.

Ford is a competent pilot, from what I gather. He's helped in Search & Rescue, also done long distance flights thru *Alaska. His experience probably saved him that day, and of course experience is gained with age so just because someone is old...

*I missed Ford a few years ago when he was refueling at Merrill Field, but one of my wife's associates got to chat with him for quite a while. Ford even hung around longer than needed until the guy's kid could get out of school and meet Indiana Jones too.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah I have read Ford is a pretty good pilot and I think he is also rated as a chopper pilot. I seem to remember hearing a while back he has assisted with search and rescues.

I read this morning he has a broken pelvis, and broken ankles, in addition to the cuts on his head. Apparently, he actually crawled out of the plane himself. Tough MFer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.