Han will die in E7

Darth Ender

[sticks fingers in ears]

Lucasfilm says a lot when they are selling you merchandise.

Agreed and never more than now. So with that in mind it only makes sense that the Lucas over seen cartoons and the future money maker cartoons are canon.

The cartoons being canon means only that those characters may show up in the background or the events may be referenced indirectly. Making it canon isn't going to matter to the children it's aimed at, and it's not going to influence me to watch it or buy related merchandise.

As the backlash over EU "Legacy" or whatever it is now perhaps shows merchandise sales are partly fueled by the hardcore getting each and every alien guy or alternate paint scheme to a clone trooper because Rex is cool or whatever. Canon is important to those fans and it helps them justify their purchasing.

Afterthought: also fair points all around. :-)

The cartoons being canon means only that those characters may show up in the background or the events may be referenced indirectly. Making it canon isn't going to matter to the children it's aimed at, and it's not going to influence me to watch it or buy related merchandise.

It matters to my daughter and she is in the age group that are shooting for.

It's simpler than that-- Lucasfilm is a production company that licenses Star Wars. The movies and the cartoons are produced by the company and made in-house as it were. Everything else was licensed out, and done elsewhere. While Lucasfilm approved or canned storylines, the books were written under a story editor atBantam or Del Ray or whomever had the license, while Darkhorse comics had an editor overseeing their books.

It comes down to anything not made directly by Lucasfilm was made not-canon.

Regarding the Jedi ghost vs. Sith ghost debate, my take on it is as follows. It isn't based on anything from the films, or even the EU, really, just my own personal take.

They are two completely different things. The default state of a soul, when it joins the Force, is a drop of water falling into the ocean: it disperses, becomes one with the rest of the water, and no longer retains its identity (or consciousness when speaking of sentients). A Jedi who has "mastered" the art of preserving his or her identity in the force has learned to solidify his soul, sort of like freezing that drop of water completely, so that it stays solid in the ocean and never dissipates (I know a drop of ice dissipates eventually, but let's say this special drop does not).

I think it is altogether different with the Sith. The Sith, in my opinion, employ an artificial method whereby they avoid joining the ocean of the Force altogether and bitterly cling to the material universe, haunting it like poltergeists. Their existence is not a peaceful one, and it may or may not be eternal.

That's my take on it.

I thought George Lucas's take on it was along the lines of what Torch is saying: that the Force is light by nature, and the dark side is a corruption of it, like a cancer. That fits right with his understanding of what it means to bring balance to the Force: that the Sith need to be defeated and the dark side disempowered.

That's what I thought. This is George Lucas's official take on the whole thing.

Though don't the Mortis episodes of The Clone Wars go against this and everything else he's said on the subject? In those episodes, the dark and light sides are presented as equals, and I believe the Father even mentions that both are needed in equal amounts.

I don't know. It's all confusing as hell and Mr. Lucas changes his mind like every five minutes (and then pretends his new position was the one he's held all along).

That's what I thought. This is George Lucas's official take on the whole thing.

Though don't the Mortis episodes of The Clone Wars go against this and everything else he's said on the subject? In those episodes, the dark and light sides are presented as equals, and I believe the Father even mentions that both are needed in equal amounts.

I don't know. It's all confusing as hell and Mr. Lucas changes his mind like every five minutes (and then pretends his new position was the one he's held all along).

Right the Mortis episode even has the yen yang(?) symbol as the base of where the brother/sister faced off with the father in the middle. Equal but different.

I'm dumb, so remember that before taking this as fact, but...

Ying/Yang isn't good/evil like the Dark Side is evil. Yin/Ying is more an observation of life/death, equal-but-opposite aspects of nature, reality. Good/Evil is a judgement outside of nature.

Back in the films the Dark Side preys on the Force Users desires; that can be just a selfish lust for power, but often we see it as seduction of good intentions. Meaning The Dark Side, the Sith say you can use the Force [insert however manner] to bring order to this perceived chaos, to save your loved ones who are suffering etc. etc.

The desire to have order, the desire to save people who are suffering isn't evil, of course not, but if it is not The Will of the Force then it's a path to corruption and the "dark side".

Yoda and even Obi-Wan and Qui too have been shown to "shrug off" the suffering of others after thinking about it for a second. Our headstrong heroes often say "DUDE! We're heroes! Gotta help them!" Then these Jedi Masters say, "Shit happens sometimes. It is the way of life, it is heartbreaking but we have to let go. It's not our place, listen to the Force and you'll know when to act."

The films explicitly detail this and with consistency.

IRL we can't totally adopt the Jedi philosophy because of one clear reality; Whether you believe in Something-Beyond-Us or not, we do not have the ability (or at least cannot prove we have an ability) to have DIRECT LITERAL CONTACT with Anything-Beyond-Us.

In Star Wars the Jedi have direct literal contact with the Force, they only have to listen. The Dark Side, the Sith are shown then just choosing to only do what they want, they don't listen to The Will of the Force.

To preach that the Light Side/Dark Side is Yin/Yang and therefore "hey, the Dark Side has it's uses." seems to be dangerously self-serving, a justification for doing what you want, and contrary to all six films.

But the light side of the Force is evil in some ways too. All of the lies told are from Jedi not any of the Sith. I agree that the Sith seek power and that is self-serving. But the Jedi seek self righteousness and that is self-serving too. The Jedi kill when it is in there need to kill from there point of view, from there righteous point of view.

I have no idea where I am going with this... sorry.

I firmly believe that the Jedi fell because their way was not quite right-- they denied themselves too many emotions and it left them blind. The fear is too many negative emotions leads to the dark side. I think Luke, showing he was able to reel his anger in, is the beginning of a new way.

I can't agree. The Jedi were out-maneuvered politically. I don't see any moral or emotional failings on the Order's part in the films. Their biggest failure was in breaking their own rules for acceptance into their Jedi training program. It's all Anakin's fault!

What about Dagobah and Yoda's training of Luke? There was some serious dark-side stuff in that tree stumpy thing.

That was the dark side in Luke. The tree was just scary and spooky, his own id brought out the vision of Vader.

Luke: What's in there?

Yoda: Only what you take with you.

I can't agree. The Jedi were out-maneuvered politically. I don't see any moral or emotional failings on the Order's part in the films. Their biggest failure was in breaking their own rules for acceptance into their Jedi training program. It's all Anakin's fault!

Mace, Episode 1: I do not think the Sith could return without our knowing

Yoda, Episode 2: (paraphrasing cause I refuse to watch this one unless the kid insists) More and more Jedi have grown arrogant and impatient

And pretty much the entire council was shocked Palpatine was under their nose. They didn't want to think Dooku could have gone to the dark side. The Jedi are blind left and right and their arrogance keeps them from admitting fault or failure and they continue to be blind... and Palpy banked on it.

While the Jedi in the PT were powerful, they were also arrogant. Their overconfidence was their undoing.

I'm waiting for the Extra Special Edition re-releases where Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen will both be CG-replaced in every scene by whoever's playing Anakin's ghost in Episode VII. The best part will be seeing how they incorporate him into The Phantom Menace using improved Benjamin Button tech.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.