Han will die in E7

Darth Ender

I think this is a sure thing in the movie since Harrison wanted Han to die in RotJ and supposedly Han is a major player in this movie. All of the first movie's in each respective trilogy had a powerful death. I think Han fulfills this role in E7.

Thoughts?

I know its been said for some time that Ford wanted to kill off Solo in ROTJ, but did he ever say it on the record? Or is this idea just a rumor that we've been repeating to ourselves for decades?

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan die in the first installments of each trilogy, but two instances is hardly a pattern. If we were to extrapolate forward from these instances, would not Luke's death fit the "pattern" better? An old weary Jedi dies fighting a Sith Lord looks like the pattern to me. Of course Han, being old and grizzled now, could fit the pattern, but only if he grew a beard! It looked to me like Hamill was the one with whiskers on his face in the cast announcement photo.

The difference is, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were characters that were invented and designed to die from the start. It's Campbell 101, the mentor dying is a thing. Han is a character we've gotten attached too-- if any of the OT crew dies it will be a lot more of an impact. Granted, Obi-wan post PT certainly adds some of that weight when watched in order, but even then most of us know he dies in ANH. Luke, Leia or Han dying will be new territory.

Unless you're into a planet falling on Chewie's head.

Well, to be honest, I was just submitting an alternative view. I am leery of seeing patterns where none exist. We're pretty good at that, and it takes effort to avoid it. But if Ford is a co-lead it certainly seems probable. At the very least, an argument from mythology narrative carries more weight with me than a non-existent pattern.

Don't actors just love good death scenes? How many times has Ford played a character that died in the story?

I know its been said for some time that Ford wanted to kill off Solo in ROTJ, but did he ever say it on the record? Or is this idea just a rumor that we've been repeating to ourselves for decades?

George Lucas said it several times, on- and off-camera. Not that he's been known as the most truthful guy on the block or anything, but still.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan die in the first installments of each trilogy, but two instances is hardly a pattern. If we were to extrapolate forward from these instances, would not Luke's death fit the "pattern" better? An old weary Jedi dies fighting a Sith Lord looks like the pattern to me. Of course Han, being old and grizzled now, could fit the pattern, but only if he grew a beard! It looked to me like Hamill was the one with whiskers on his face in the cast announcement photo.

I'd rather see Luke die peacefully in bed, surrounded by family and friends. The battle with Darth Vader was the battle of his life, and I don't think it can (or should) be upstaged.

Old People are never cool. One of the best movies, any genre, from the 90s wasn't Unforgiven. Death Wish is stupid. Grumpy Old Men has zero redeeming qualities. The Rock was carried by Nicolas Cage's superior acting and charm. The Big Lebowski would have been epic with James Franco as the lead.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think it remains to be seen, but if Ford DID say he wanted Solo to die in ROTJ, that was 30 years ago, when his career was on the upswing. We are now dealing with a Ford who agreed to film Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Cowboys and Aliens. I think if he has any input, Solo won't die.

Personally, if they are going to kill any of the Big Three, Luke makes the most sense, because in the SW movies, dead isn't REALLY dead, if you are a Jedi Master. If Luke were killed, he would surely return as a force-ghost.

Besides, if the rumors are true that one of the Big Bads is going to be an ancient Sith Force Ghost, doesn't it make sense to have a powerful light side force ghost to balance things out?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sith Ghost? Eh. Please no. The OT insinuates only the Light carry on afterwards.

Where does it say that? If anything, it can be argued the opposite. Qui Gon was considered a rebel jedi with the living force mumbo jumbo.

Sidious speaks of a Sith lord learning the secret to living forever.

I'm of the belief that if it happened in the EU, that's the source of the rumor. It's some unimaginative fan spinning bs, or one of those "reporters" who thinks they have an inside track because they just realized there are Star Wars books that no one knows about.

Exar Kun (right?) was a Sith Ghost that came back ROTJ, therefor, this rumor is poop.

POOP I SAY!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, in ANY event, if any of the Big 3 are killed off, Luke would make the most sense because he could still appear in episodes 8 and 9, as a ghost.

Palpatine spewed nothing but lies and hatred. Qui-Gon preached being mindful and aware, compassion. To argue that they spoke of the same ability is folly. Only the good get reseen/heard from as ghosts in the films.

To attribute that Sith can be ever living ghosts given what the films present is not taking the films on their merits. It is also bringing something from elsewhere into the films to justify the idea.

It's as bad if someone said, "So that Thor guy, no problem, you can kill him with Kryptonite."

Only the EU has ever dealt with the Ghostbusters level of evil spirits needing busting. The EU is/was Star Wars but many of it's ideas ran totally contrary to the films, even prior to the PT. It brought in concepts from our world, our ideas of the spirit, the afterlife and projected them into the universe of Star Wars. Evil dies in Star Wars, it doesn't get to live on as Freddy Kruger.

The films present spirits as One with the Force, the Force is presented as the symbiotic energy between everything, it strives for balance and harmony (essentially a workable metaphor for ecology).

The Sith are not symbiotic. The Sith pervert life, it's energy, it's balance... The Force... for their own selfish ends.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.