24: LAD

ShadowDog

Jack breaking Paul Blackthorne's character by having his kicking and screaming daughter dragged towards the bioweapon flooded hotel ... With Jack screaming "EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO HER IS ON YOU! DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME DO THIS!" and Paul finally breaking is also the greatest scene I've ever witnessed on TV. All 3 main actors in that scene committed 100% and I bet all 3 were completely exhausted that night.

For me the defining moment of the show was when he was forced to kill Ryan Chapelle. Chapelle was a total knob from the moment we met him, was in Jack's way and was a total pencil pushing tool.

And in two acts they made us suddenly feel really bad for him and realize why he was a tool, and we suddenly wanted Jack to get out of it. And in the end, Ryan told Jack to just do it... and of course Jack did.

This episode was a little slower but some cool shit in it nevertheless.

The President Heller storyline is boring. He's senile ... so what? Yawn.

I'm digging the creepy assed terrorist family. 24 has ALWAYS been good at humanizing and three dimensionalizing their villains. most of them anyway.

Love the Chloe reveal about her family. Great acting by both. Too bad though, I loved the Morris actor.

It's also the first legit DGAF violence he's committed-- and even still, they were sure to give us a bit with the guy he shot being a tool. The only other "innocent" he's hurt was guy interrogating Chloe, and they sold him as shifty as well. Oddly, they are keeping Jack out of the grey zone thus far.

I like the Heller storyline, only because I feel like it;s building to something. Heller was such a badass back in the day, I'd be surprised if they didn't remind us of that. Dude went off a cliff in a car and showed up a few hours later singed and bruised but still hard ass.

He also headpunched those guys in the subway station who, as far as they were concerned, were just trying to help keep an injured woman safe from her attacker. At this rate I wonder if there'll be any uninjured Londoners left to be rescued by the time midnight rolls around.

You say "plucky female sidekick", I say "obvious mole".

Also : once Jack has told President Heller about the need to closely examine the flightkey hasn't he basically done what he needs to do? If he surrendered immediately after (and because of) that conversation wouldn't it strengthen his case in the eyes of the President?

Also also : the previous episodes setting up that President Heller is having memory problems is presumably laying the groundwork for the super surprise twist in a couple of episodes of somebody (the chief of staff? Colin Salmon? Agent Obvious Mole?) bopping him over the head or slipping him some amnesiajuice to prevent him making a crucial decision and then whoever it is covers their tracks by going "Oh no! Help! The President's collapsed!" and having his daughter and whoever else believe it because of the previously established old man brain no remember good stuff.

Guest El Chalupacabra

No way, Kate Morgan is too much of Homeland's Carrie Matheson's sister from another mother to be a mole.

One of my favorite Jack moments was the Season 2 opener: guns down the child molester in the interrogation room, then asks for a hack saw. Next scene: he brings his head Alfredo Garcia style!

I guess I am going to have to give up hoping we would ever see the series come full circle, and find out what secret organization Nina Myers worked for. I was hoping we would see that connection with Al-Harazi's group, but dead husband from a UAV strike=ax to grind unrelated to Nina.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Hey, neither did Tony Almeida. Heller drove off a cliff into a river before, and showed up later, so who knows?

This was the most fun I've had with an episode of 24 in a long time. The chemistry between Jack and Heller was amazing, hilarious, and flat out fun. They probably had no idea on the page that it would be this good or they'd have made it last longer. I'd legit watch a spinoff show of President Heller and Jack Bauer doing ... anything.

They have telegraphed that the terrorist mom is going to want to keep her word but that her minion is going to go rogue to keep the destruction going and the terrorist mom will have to help the authorities find him in order to keep her word. That will be an interesting dynamic, I would have just liked it less telegraphed. I get it, the writers want to lay in the foundation so it doesn't feel like it comes from nowhere but while that is a noble cause you sacrifice any surprise twist when it happens.

I want to see Kate back in the field kicking ass. Why are they wasting her in the office?

And, as I noted on Twitter, why did Jack Bauer dress up President Heller like they were both about to go hit the Old Country Buffet in Iowa?

That was pretty masterful. They generally do a big YOU THINK IT'S OVER BUT IT ISNT moment in every season, but it's almost always an ass-pull left field move. I was assuming the Navarro bit was just a b-story that was going to give Chloe some closure, but it was pretty masterful to make that into the big swerve. Didn't expect it, but at the same time, the foundation was laid so it works. Nice job 24.

I kinda wish that CIA contact would have been an old Season 1 or 2 CTU flunkie, like Milo.

Yeah I agree with everything you said. I thought what was going to happen was:

1) Snippy second guessing terrorist minion was going to betray Margot and run away with the override.

2) Margot, furious he made her go against her word, would help Jack track it down.

They've done variations of this before and while it would have been interesting since the actress is really good, I'm glad they went a different way. This was also predicated on Heller actually dying, of course.

Yeah, they approached it like a cable show-- more lead up time, less episodes, most of the writing done ahead of time. Makes a huge difference.

And the Hellar living swerve was awesome-- they've done it before, with Tony for example-- or hell, they did it with Hellar himself-- but it was always off camera and time passed. They actually did it in front of us. I was wondering why they didn't show Jack in the last few moments of the strike, the answer was, because he was on the phone with Chloe and pulling Hellar aside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.