24: LAD

ShadowDog

Really enjoyed this series! After 4 years - it's great that Jack is back! The twist with Heller a few weeks back really surprised me. Was wondering who the VP was going to be that took office! Mad!

This last episode is supposed to cover the remaining 13 hours of the day apparently, so a flight involved? Hope it's not just for the sake of making it 24 hours. Lots to resolve!

It was an awesome season! Spectacular! Lot of great moments, tightly plotted, great actors performing well as usual. Hellar's last scene was gut wrenching and some of William Devine's best work.

And then they end it all with a redux of the Season 5 ending. Yawn. For being one of the best shows ever, 24 has consistently sucked ass at ending their seasons. They peaked with their ending to season 1, which was truly staggering and fantastic. It was all downhill after that.

Just to clarify I'm talking about literally the last couple minutes of the finale, not the finale as a whole which are usually awesome.

Best endings:

Season 1, hands down.

Just below this I'll put Season 5. Jack gets jacked! That made the summer wait feel like it was forever. I do feel like they should have made the storyline be 12 hours of getting him out of secret China prison and the other 12 hours being getting him out of China proper. It wouldn't have been 24 as we knew it but it sure as Hell would have been better than the Season 6 we got. But regardless, this ending was awesome.

Okay endings:

Season 2 was pretty spectacular at the time but when they picked it up in Season 3 it became meh. It was just blown past. I mean, okay, I guess Palmer recovered? I guess they caught the people who did it? According to a couple lines of dialogue I guess. Maybe a video game or something, I dunno. It didn't lead anywhere which reduced the impact. Contrast that with the way Season 2 picked up Teri's death and how that impacted everybody. THAT is how you pay off an awesome season ender.

Season 4 was pretty good with the mystery of what will Jack do next and how they paid that off in Season 5. That was pretty solid.

Season 7 was great as far as Red Bauer gonna torture that dude goes but the shit with Jack was subpar and Red Bauer's story fizzles out in Season 8, undervaluing this ending in retrospect.

Bad endings

Season 3 This ending worked on an emotional level, and I guess the show runners felt like they didn't want to do three Holy Shit endings in a row. I get that, but it just didn't work for me.

Season 8 was just kinda ... um, okay? It was pretty weak.

Season 6 was a ****ing horrible ending. It reminded me of the first half of a Disney commercial without the payoff. "Jack Bauer, you've just suffered through your worst season ever, what are you gonna do next?!?" What the fuck was THAT?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think they ended it that way, so as to get FOX to approve another season. This was supposed to be a test run\limited miniseries, after all. But as awesome as this season was, I don't think it will be a problem renewing 24 for next summer!

Totally agree on the time jump-- 12 hours so we can say it was still 24... Felt hokey, thy could have ended everything the same way continuously. If the wanted to jump, mid season would have been smart-- or skipp a few hours every few episodes.

That, and the redux of Jack surrendering to the Chinese were my only complaints. Everything else was fantastic, maybe their best season since the first or third. Audrey wa a cheap kill, totally put Morgan on the outs at the end... I really hope that is set up for her to com back, I thought she was fantastic. I thought it would be like Red Buer too-- but she maintained herself and didn't cross lines too bad, but also supported Jack and didn't get in his way. She's probably his best partner to date.

Sure hope they can recapture this next year

Guest El Chalupacabra

I didn't want to believe it, but I thought it would be Audrey in that coffin from last week's previews. I wasn't 100% sure though. I was also thinking it might be Mark Boudreau. Really, Audrey dying is the only thing that would be consistent with 24: Jack gets no happy season endings. Ever.

Kate Morgan was a good partner for Jack, and hope she returns next season, but I wanna see more Belcheck! Maybe they both get together with Cloe and break Jack out of some Siberian gulag?

I wonder if Mark Boudreau will be set up to return as a villain?

Did President Heller remember to pardon Jack, before he got all Alzheimery?

Cheng Zhi putting up a little bit of a fight against Jack, until Jack just unloaded on him reminded me of the end of Missing in Action Part II!

Kate Morgan was a good partner for Jack, and hope she returns next season, but I wanna see more Belcheck! Maybe they both get together with Cloe and break Jack out of some Siberian gulag?

And Tony!

Speaking of oldys but goodys I want a return from that Seasons 1, 3, & 4 chick ... The only bad person to survive 3 different seasons of this shit.

Just had the final episode air here in England - what a brilliant season! Gutted about Audrey, and seeing Jack get his handgun out ready to end it, before choosing to go ballistic was powerful stuff.

Agree the time jump was a bit weak, but gave us a superb exit for Heller. Emotional speech.

Bring on the next series! A few other survivors that could come back: Tony, Logan, that assassin girl "Mandy" you mentioned Shadowdog.

Really pleased it was an excellent return for Jack!

The other thing that really caught my eye in the finale was Jack's rampage through the Chinese guards on the ship. Tht by itself isn't that surprising, but he (and Belcheck) pulled that off even after Cheng Zhi and his men found out exactly where they were.

As others have said, the very end was somewhat disappointing, but hopefully they'll go someplace interesting with it this time if/when it comes back.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I thought he died! Score!

Nah, Tony was alive the last we saw him. It was Bill Buchanan who died.

Yeah I'd like to see the return of Tony, as well. The problem is at the end of Season 7, he was captured and assumed to be put in prison. The whole of Season 7 was Tony going rogue, and exacting revenge for Michelle's death. He still was friendly with Jack then, though is mission came first. However, it was Jack that basically caused Tony to get taken into custody. So, if Tony returns, I am not sure how happy with Jack he will be. He may be Jack's enemy, and I doubt he would want to rescue Jack.

It's all coming back.

There was something I really loved about that season, with Buccannon and Chloe running their own ops. It's what Jack is doing now, something about vigilantism on a world politics scale is cool.

There was also the part of me that loved the idea that Jack went crazy and they were just in his head to rationalize his actions.

They should also bring back the cougar that stalked Kim in S2

• 2 months later...

Bought the DVD on the way home from work today and there's a great extra in there which you may have heard about.

It's a specially filmed, 7 minute sequence called "Solitary" and sets up a new series perfectly! One familiar face in there as well...

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.