24: LAD

ShadowDog

Yeah, every season has been self contained save for seeing which characters are still around and where they have gotten to.

Here's the only primer you need:

There was a government agency called CTU, Counter Terrorism Unit. For years it's top agents stopped some of the biggest threats to our country. They were disbanded, but many of the operatives are still active, in either different government agencies, or as rogue agents acting of their own accord. Their #1 agent was a dude named Jack Bauer who is basically equal parts spy, Navy Seal and torture expert. He's saved the country a shitload of times, personally saved 3 presidents from assassination, exposed one as corrupt and in the line of duty has lost his wife, estranged his daughter and last we saw, his American citizenship. He is a badass.

Jack's badassedness is intact and the writing is as sharp as ever.

The stated four year gap between this and Season 8 still furthers the ridiculousness of Jack's age though. He'd have to be 70 years old at this point for the established timeline to work. LOL

http://ak.cdn.sptdigital.com/sites/in.axn/files/styles/image_960x330/public/24-marquee.jpg?itok=Vh775e-t

Hell. Yeah.

Twelve and a half years after they started this whole thing, back to back episodes, and I still found myself doing a Darth Vader-worthy Nooooo!!! when the final ticking clock signaled the end of the night. Jack really is back!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think these two episodes tonight alone made up for the entire 8th season, except of course the season 8 finale, which was badass.

Did anyone catch Chloe's observation about Jack's Serbian mafia friend, and her follow up question of "so what have you been up to for the last 4 years?"

It appears the 4 years break, and the fact they went to the 13 episode formula, seems to have really done wonders for rejuvenating 24, and I think it will definitely help pacing, too! Definitely a far better way to go, than 24: the movie, which I think might have looked like Taken, and Taken 2. In fact, to this day, I think Taken was just a reworked script for an aborted 24 feature film, and they hired Liam Neeson, instead.

Man, talk about not missing a beat! That was awesome! I think 12 episodes will be perfect, though shouldn't they just call it 12!?

In the past, it always felt like they had enough lead time for the first 12 episodes to rock, but the time crunch seemed to always hit in the back 12, and that's when the show got ass-pully. Hopefully this won't do that.

Things I loved:

- Navarro looking at Jack's kill list

- Heller going from John Wayne to Ronald Reagan

- punk rock Chloe

- the fact they wrote in the target hanging with drug dealers just so Jack could have people to kill-- notice they are keeping him clear of any deaths against the CIA

- nice to see John Boyega in something before Star Wars explodes him into superstardom (or the convention circuit)

No complaints at all, but I really hope Chloe takes the time to slap Jack then give him a hug and show him it is cool to trust again. It was a bit sad for everyone to realize he broke her out cause he needed her, not just because she was his friend

Guest El Chalupacabra

No complaints at all, but I really hope Chloe takes the time to slap Jack then give him a hug and show him it is cool to trust again. It was a bit sad for everyone to realize he broke her out cause he needed her, not just because she was his friend

Actually, it's Jack that owes HER the hug!

I just hope they don't do something stupid, like kill Chloe off this season or ever. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Thank God this is on Hulu, because I did not catch this on Monday.

Here is something that I heard. I don't know if it is true, or not, or if anybody else heard of this. They are splitting up the season. 12 episodes this year, and then the other 12 sometime next year. Has there been anything like this said out there?

I skipped Season 4 (as well as 8, 6, and most of 5) so the Hellers showing up were no big deal to me but otherwise this was some pretty good 24ing. Subcutaneous transmitters! Impromptu drug dealer hanging! Jack somehow being against the sort of Snowden/Assange shenanigans that, given the history of government duplicity and downright evil on this show, makes even more sense in their world than ours! that Jamie Callis-looking hacker getting stabbed through the ear! And it's all a crossover with the Steed and Peel Avengers show, too? YAYYY 24

Jack's badassedness is intact and the writing is as sharp as ever.

The stated four year gap between this and Season 8 still furthers the ridiculousness of Jack's age though. He'd have to be 70 years old at this point for the established timeline to work. LOL

Somebody on the internets did the math based on President terms, and time mentioned to have passed between seasons on screen. Based on the first season taking place the year it actually aired, Live Another Day technically takes place in 2020-2021.

In Jack Bauer is the same as Kiefer Sutherland when season 1 debuted (35, which is a bit of a stretch given how experienced he already is) he would be 55 in Live Another Day. Sutherland is 48.

Here's the problem. Jack's back story is special forces background, which takes time. Not only that but he had enough special forces experience to be RUNNING the operation that resulted in the Drazen family's deaths.

And he was the head of CTU. Not just worked at CTU as a field agent, he was the head. He had a high end desk job. Combine those things and he couldn't be younger than 40 in season one, probably mid 40s.

Which given what you just said is only a 5-10 difference so he'd be 60 ish. Which isn't too bad yet I guess. LOL I was thinking 70s.

I skipped Season 4 (as well as 8, 6, and most of 5) so the Hellers showing up were no big deal to me but otherwise this was some pretty good 24ing. Subcutaneous transmitters! Impromptu drug dealer hanging! Jack somehow being against the sort of Snowden/Assange shenanigans that, given the history of government duplicity and downright evil on this show, makes even more sense in their world than ours! that Jamie Callis-looking hacker getting stabbed through the ear! And it's all a crossover with the Steed and Peel Avengers show, too? YAYYY 24

You missed Season 5?? Wow, that was the best one.

Most of it, yeah. I got bored before the season reached the usual midway wrap-up of the big stuff from the beginning, if I recall. In fact just about the only thing from that year that sticks in my mind is all the First Lady Going Crazy stuff.

Yeah seasons 4 and 5 are two of my favorites. In fact, ranking them from most awesome to least:

However, there's a huge dropoff between 8 and 6. The top 7 seasons range from grades A+ to C and I'd grade season 6 as an F-

Here's the problem. Jack's back story is special forces background, which takes time. Not only that but he had enough special forces experience to be RUNNING the operation that resulted in the Drazen family's deaths.

And he was the head of CTU. Not just worked at CTU as a field agent, he was the head. He had a high end desk job. Combine those things and he couldn't be younger than 40 in season one, probably mid 40s.

Which given what you just said is only a 5-10 difference so he'd be 60 ish. Which isn't too bad yet I guess. LOL I was thinking 70s.

Totally-- like I said, buying him as only 35 in Season 1 given his backstory doesn't quite gel. We could say he's a spry 60 given how in shape and well-trained he is... of course he's also had the shit kicked out of him who knows how many times, was addicted to heroin, has been shot half a dozen times, probably took a bit of radiation being near a nuclear blast AND had a full on heart attack after being tortured so he should be a little rougher around the edges!

And I am also in the Season 3 being the best ever camp.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.