First Look at the New SATANIC MONUMENT Being Built for Oklahoma’s Statehouse

Pong Messiah

Majestic and beautiful.

The Baphomet, which will stand seven feet tall and be a testament to the glory of the Angel of the Bottomless Pit, would be placed directly beside the sculpture glorifying the laws given to Moses by the Christian God. The idea of a Satanic monument sitting on government property in Oklahoma—which is like the Bible Belt's Bible Belt—seems a bit far-fetched, but Greaves says that "there has been quite a bit of discussion among legal scholars who recognize how difficult it would actually be for Oklahoma to turn us down… Constitutional law is quite clear on this issue: The state can’t discriminate against viewpoints. If they’ve opened the door for one, they’ve opened it for all.”

Yay!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Barack| Hussei | n Obama= 666

OMG! It all makes sense now! Obama is the Devil!

Actually, while I have zero problem with the Ten Commandments inside or near a courtroom, I think this is effing hilarious.

That's super cool.

Never mind the fact that the baphomet was originally a Christian symbol that knights Templars used to pray to during the crusades, and was later appropriated naively by satanists.. But I dig the motivation.

That's super cool.

Never mind the fact that the baphomet was originally a Christian symbol that knights Templars used to pray to during the crusades, and was later appropriated naively by satanists.. But I dig the motivation.

CHRISTMAS TREES! EASTER EGGS!!!

Guest El Chalupacabra

That's super cool.

CHRISTMAS TREES! EASTER EGGS!!!

What would really be hilarious is if on this exhibit, the satanic version of the Ten Commandments were on it: IE Thou shalt steal, Thou shalt only use black cats to sacrifice, Thou shalt bang your neighbor's wife, or whatever they are.

Chalup, you need to look up the 10 Commandments from the Satanic Bible. They are not really about sacrificing, but more about putting one's self first. That is at least the LaVeyan tradition of Satanism. Like Pong said, it can't really be taken seriously, and honestly, I don't think LaVey intended for it to be.

As for the verbiage in the article, I must disagree with this business of the "Angel of the Bottomless Pit" being synonymous with Satanism. In some Christian traditions, you have three groups of angels. One third was loyal to God in Lucifer's rebellion. One third followed Lucifer in the rebellion. And another third are referenced in Genesis. In the early chapters it mentions there being "giants in the land" in the day of Noah and how the sons of god laid with man. In essence, the flood of Noah was sent to destroy the wickedness that was caused by breeding between this third of angels and mankind. This group of angels were confined to the Bottomless Pit until they are released per the passages of Revelation. Or so say some crazy people.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, well, I guess I am not a good satanist, then because I don't know them by heart, Ev. Dang.

You mean this, right?

You know, if it weren't for, 7 and 11 being so ridiculous, it would actually be hard to ague against most of those points. That is, if one were being a devil's advocate. Ha! see what I did there?

I still have copies of The Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals on my bookshelf. LOL. Haven't cracked them in many years, but they sort of went part and parcel with my adventures into nihilism. I actually can identify with the secular humanist philosophy that LaVey endorses, but it just becomes a laughable affair when he inserts all these rituals and language whose sole purpose is to mystify and piss off Christians.

What a great monument. Having the two children looking up at Satan is an especially nice touch.

I want it!

I still have copies of The Satanic Bible and Satanic Rituals on my bookshelf. LOL. Haven't cracked them in many years, but they sort of went part and parcel with my adventures into nihilism. I actually can identify with the secular humanist philosophy that LaVey endorses

There's a fair bit I like about LaVeyan Satanism. It's really just Ayn Rand's philosophy wrapped up in the trappings of old Dennis Wheatley novels. Theatrical, counter-culture claptrap designed to make you think, but not take it too seriously. If it actually does offend you, odds are you're on the uptight side.

but it just becomes a laughable affair when he inserts all these rituals and language whose sole purpose is to mystify and piss off Christians.

This is fast becoming true of most "organized" atheism as a whole. Notice their corny memes about invisible pink unicorns or flying spaghetti monsters. Yeah, I get the joke. But still. It's actually quite stale now. There's nothing new or original about it - see the Hellfire Clubs of 18th century London, for instance.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am not saying I support this satanist exhibit. I really couldn't care less. I just love the freak show of it all, and just love the ridiculousness of the statue itself. Even if it does somehow get put up, I give it no more than 24 hours before some mob of fundy Christians hack it down with blowtorches. I mean this is Oklahoma we are talking about, and like the article says, it doesn't get more Bible belt than that. That said, my opinion of satanists is a rather low one: I think they are all a bunch of hard ons.

What I know of Satanism, LaVeyan or otherwise, is insipid, selfish, and self-pitying. Basically its being goth, for 20+ year old anti-socials. I never really bothered to look up much of the Satanic Bible or other books, because, well, to me its just silly. In my time, I've run across several so called satanists (one occasion in a classroom setting, another few were when I was in mixed company), and the one thing that struck me universally about them (beyond the ridiculousness of it all) was that they were basically self absorbed, attempted to project some kind of air of importance about them, and they all had this smirk on their face I wanted to slap off their faces.

In fact, I got the sense that they were just lost souls, and I was amazed how they seemed almost too smart to actually believe in that ideology, yet did. Almost the direct inverse of white supremacists, because most ARE really that dumb to believe in that crap. Oh, and the satanists I met all smelled like sh*t...I guess there is some code about being Earthy or something, so as to be offensive to everyone outside your circle of, whatever. The worst thing you could possibly do to a satanist is ignore them, because they (at least the ones I met) seem to universally be into it for the attention. The older they get, the more pathetic they appear.

If one digs Ayn Rand, that's fine. Be a pessimist. That's all good. I'm pessimist about a lot of things, myself. But I don't buy the satanists=Ayn Rand argument. They seem more like the adult equivalent to moody 14 year old Slipknot fan or Juggalo in full regalia at a family reunion.

I am not saying I support this satanist exhibit. I really couldn't care less. I just love the freak show of it all, and just love the ridiculousness of the statue itself.

Ha ha ha! You said it. That statue's pretty metal, man! Raise the horns!

It's ethical egoism, Chalup. Google search it. That's what LaVeyan Satanism and Rand's objectivism really boil down to. Rand just takes it more serious.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am not saying I support this satanist exhibit. I really couldn't care less. I just love the freak show of it all, and just love the ridiculousness of the statue itself.

Ha ha ha! You said it. That statue's pretty metal, man! Raise the horns!

It's ethical egoism, Chalup. Google search it. That's what LaVeyan Satanism and Rand's objectivism really boil down to. Rand just takes it more serious.

Meh, I don't know that most satanists think that far ahead. Maybe they do, but if the ones I met are any kind of representation, the answer is no. It's more about the side show than anything else. And really, I don't care to split hairs about who the "rational" satanists, LaVeyans, or Lucifarians are. From where I stand, they all are pretty much off their nut, to me. All I know is I wouldn't count on any of them to piss on me, if I were set on fire in the middle of a desert, and based on that alone, they are people I choose not to be around or learn about. For all its flaws and nutballs, at least most other religions have some form of a code for charity and helping the less fortunate. Even Islam, which most Americans associate with fundy mad-bombers.

And I fully realize the apparent contradiction of my own last post: on one hand, I like the freak show of the article, but I also prefer to ignore satanists. One can simultaneously find humor in a side show like this, while being disgusted with those perpetrating it ;)

I see what you're saying. I've personally known two people who were into LaVeyan Satanism at one point or another, and neither were happy people. I guess the "will to power' isn't the key to the good life after all. They were bitter as hell against the Church, and tended to blame it for both their personal problems, and the all of the ills and social problems that plague the broader society.

I've also heard that not all Satanists are like that, and that some really do conform to bible-belt perceptions of it - actual reverence for a dark lord. THAT is crazy.

Satanism boiled down to the "me show." LaVey is outright in saying as much, it's a religion all about the self. That doesn't make charity bad per say, as long as you acknowledge that the reason you are being charitable is to feel good about yourself. At the end of the day, it wasn't a philosophy which offered much hope, and certainly nothing greater and outside one's self. If I had to pick a religion/philosophy, I think I'd gravitate towards one that is a little more positive, affirming, seeking truth outside one's self, and charitable to one's fellow man/environment.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sort of off topic, Ev, but one philosophy I always thought was interesting was that of stoicism. Logic and reason, tempered by virtue and ethics. Who wouldn't be down for that? While I suppose you can say stoicism in many ways lives on in the research & scientific, medical, and law disciplines, I am surprised that there really hasn't been a resurgence of a modern incarnation of stoicism, as a philosophical, or even quasi-religious movement. I mean some atheists and agnostics incorporate (or rediscovered) a lot of similar philosophies. But Atheists seem too nihilistic, as you point out, Satanists mainly are self-centered fools all about the theatrics, and both schools of thought are too busy trying to thumb their nose at Christianity and other religions than actually being for something. As for agnostics, no one is quite sure what they believe, and neither are they. With all the frustration people seem to have with a lot of organized religion, it just surprises me that so many people don't try to follow something akin to a modern take on stoicism, and end up just wasting their time with the silliness of satanism, fundamentalist religions (pick any one of them), or militant atheism. Maybe people just like to be fed bullsh*t they don't have to think too hard about. I dunno.

That's super cool.

Points to you. However it's less of a fact and more a FACT! because it was believed the Templars prayed to it. It's probability is probable probably. If it was a sports record or fact it would have an *asterisk... OOOooo! which commonly is a five pointed star.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.