No More Ham and Bacon at Nearly 200 Subways OMG!

Pong Messiah

Isn't London another version of NYC? For the English?

Not really. Close to a quarter of the UK population lives in the London metro area, not to mention it's also the capital and the social and cultural center of the UK, so its trends have a disproportionate effect on the UK as opposed to NYC.

Oh goodness. I'm using hyperbole and you damn well know it.

Oops. Hyberbole! I assumed you just had some super special meanings attached to the concepts of "essential" and "majority" but it turns out I was wrong. It was hyperbole all along! Or maybe your special sophisticated meaning was attached to the words "Muslim" (which, it seems now to you, means any type of foreign born population or non-White British or non-Christians or Pakistanis) and "UK" (which now means London) instead.

Additionally, you are cherry picking one stat and not talking about the overall public climate and gradual but obvious shift in British culture.

Yes! I thought you were talking about the all-important keystone of British culture represented by a mere 12 percent of her glorious Subway franchises rather than the entirety of British culture and continental trends as a whole!

In other words, I'm operating on a more sophisticated level than you.

By pulling in a bunch of irrelevant stuff? You could have just written, I dunnaknow, that London was getting browner and I wouldn't have bothered to argue but you had to go to that super sophisticated level of discourse of saying something that's not even remotely true!

The Muslim population is quite large, over 12%, and London probably has the largest communities of say, Pakistanis, outside of Pakistan itself.

Third largest after Saudi Arabia and UAE! Oh well! [Edit - oops. Cities not countries! Second largest after Dubai, of which London has about half as many] And I didn't bother to check anything else you mentioned but the one thing that sounded fishy to me turned out to be off by nearly what four hundred thousand people [edit - oops, only about two hundred thousand people - I was ALMOST half right!] so I've got no clue if the rest is even as close to the truth as that.

or authors like Theodore Dalrymple

I like that guy's columns! He's a good writer!

So stop thinking you're all clever and that you've outsmarted me, because you haven't.

I don't think I've outsmarted anyone. You've out-dumbed yourself!

As soon as I clicked the link and saw it was in the UK, I understood.

The UK is essentially a majority Muslim country now.

If anything, I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier.

That's quite an exaggeration but your right, there are loads of Islamic people in the UK, and the government likes to cater to their needs.

Pong, I've never had a tostada botched...Unless you count the beans and sauce being thrown on top with such disregard that it is only covering a third of the tortilla. The couple of botched incidents I'm thinking about are where I ordered cheesy bean and rice burritos and instead got beef. Ooops!

There is a science to doing the tostada correctly. It starts with the reconstituted beans. If they're too watery or too dry you get a soggy tostada or a hard knob of beans with red sauce. I do tostadas at home all the time!

I guess it shows what sort of customer I am. The whole family is vegetarian, so getting half your meal dealt out with beef is sort of a dinner let-down. Well of course I was all hot and bothered at the time and swore vengeance. That I'd call corporate and complain and try to get some free shit. Well, it's easier said than done. This is of course at like 10:00 PM at night or later, and I just WAS NOT motivated enough to go back out at that hour to complain at the restaurant. So what'd we do? Just threw away the offending food and swallowed the loss. We had one less burrito each for dinner that night. So sad.

:(

I always served food I would eat.

Our vegan complainers (there were three of them!) were really gung-ho. They'd scream about the meat and killing cows and they could not see in this day and age how big restaurants needed meat to serve. They also wanted us to change other things like the taco shells and frying things. I had a few people who wanted to eat leave before purchasing because they'd talk about inhumane cow killings which can be an appetite killer. They'd come once a month and make a big deal and leave smug that they'd affronted a giant corporation whose sole purpose is to support college kids and people with limited budgets to eat out on. Taco Bell is a giant subsidiary of Pepsi and Frito Lay as well as other brands. Nothing was changing.

Subway on the other hand has a kind of reputation they've built for themselves based on healthy eating.

RC

I think my first post was obvious hyperbole, if nothing else for the fact that it was 3 sentences, and everyone here knows when I write a serious post, it's more like 3 pages. My second post was to explain the general point I was making, that irrespective of whether London is #1 or #2 in Pakistanis or whatever quibble you have, that the general demographics and culture of the country is rapidly changing, and if anything was going to be done about that, it's certainly too late at this point. As such, it seems rather silly to be outraged over something like the story in the original post. Your reply to my second post seems to me like you're more interested in picking a fight than having a substantive dialogue, and I decline the offer. If I'm wrong, then dial down the snark a couple notches, make your point politely and I'll respond. Otherwise, this conversation is over.

If I'm wrong, then dial down the snark a couple notches, make your point politely and I'll respond. Otherwise, this conversation is over.

I am sorry, but you are no longer allowed to tell others to make their point politely.

Let it go. It's harmless. Everybody knows you are more intelligent and worldly than R.CAllen. Other people should be allowed to make themselves feel good at your expense once in awhile, too.

I thought I was exactly as polite as you were.

I have no real quibble (or, if you like, I'll retract my quibble?) with whatever irrelevancies you brought up and even if everything you said in your second post was the God's honest truth it would still not mean what you said in your first post. I don't know how you can claim to both be using exaggerated hyperbole and to also be operating on a more sophisticated level than me (it seems like it'd be fair to say one and not the other, certainly not both at the same time) and I don't know how you can call what I posted cherry-picking while you deciding to grab a whole bunch of irrelevant facts is used to somehow prove the spirit of your original off-the-cuff wrong statement.

I don't know how you, of all people, can look at something as clear as numbers and be so wrong about them. The point you're making is wrong and even if something slightly akin to it is made at length by others about other places and other peoples your original point would be still be wrong.

I don't want to argue with you. I don't want to pick a fight with you. My original question to you has now been answered. You're not saying wrong things to provoke a response! You really believe what you're saying! In a choice between choosing to learn a little bit more about what you think and not choosing to learn a little bit more about what you think I will always go with the former.

Naturally, no matter how you choose to respond (at length, snarkily, succinctly, whatever) I'll do you the courtesy of replying!

You're not saying wrong things to provoke a response! You really believe what you're saying! In a choice between choosing to learn a little bit more about what you think and not choosing to learn a little bit more about what you think I will always go with the former.

Well no, RC, that's not it. I live in Europe. I travel to the UK several times a month for work and have been there probably over 30 times just in the last year alone. Between that and my educational background, I think I have at least a decent understanding of UK culture, and I think it also says something that the other UK native here agreed with my general sentiment, although also questioning my exaggeration.

Here's the deal RC- if you have a point, make it. This was my argument:

the general demographics and culture of the country is rapidly changing, and if anything was going to be done about that, it's certainly too late at this point. As such, it seems rather silly to be outraged over something like the story in the original post.

If you have arguments against that, lay them out in a non-sarcastic fashion, and I will answer them.

The reason I am reluctant to engage you is because, in the past, you haven't proven to be a very interesting conversationalist. You tend to respond in a bunch of overly sarcastic quips, which would be OK if you had an argument underlying those quips (like Pong often does), but you usually do not. Your posts tend to be littered with non-sequiturs, an overuse of exclamation marks, and once you are actually challenged, you either disengage or respond in further one-liners that obfuscate whatever point you're trying to make. An example of all of that is here. That thread told me a lot about you- because I started a thread I wanted to discuss earnestly, I didn't target you in any way until you showed up and started being really immature. I learned my lesson that time with you, and I realized you aren't actually serious about having a conversation on this forum. So bottom line- I don't have the patience to put up with 3 or 4 posts of that type back and forth between us. It bores me, and is frankly a waste of my time. So- as I mentioned in my last post, if you have a actual, earnest point to make- then make it, lay out your arguments, and I will respond. Otherwise, like I said, this conversation is over, and this will be my last post to you on this thread.

Is anybody else having flashbacks to a few months ago when Amanda was all over Lucas's ass about his use of the word "majority"?

oh, I missed that!

Sorry. It was his use of "probably".

Oh, that was the same thread in which she flailed her vocabulary at me, too. I still <3 my Amanda. She was having a bad day is all.

Guest El Chalupacabra

More burritos = more happiness.

So fewer burritos = less happiness?

Makes sense.

Now that is something I can be down with. Carne Asada FTW.

There are a lot of similarities, but definitely not the same. One is blessed, the other is not, different parts of the animal are used (especially with beef cuts), preparation rules are different, too (one allows mixing with dairy products but no wine, the other allows wine but no dairy, etc).

:eek:

I don't know about the blessing part, but I could swear I heard that basically a Muslim is able to eat Kosher meats without issue.

In any event, my point being that if we can take on, heh, faith, that Halal meat is is essentially close enough to Kosher, I don't know what the big deal about serving t is. Other than it is some practice from those "nasty" Muslims. Personally, when it comes to hot dogs, I don't eat any brand other than Hebrew national, and I am not jewish. It's because I don't like the idea of eating a frank that is possibly just processed lips-n-asshles. If there were such a thing as a halal hot dog, and it pretty much follows similar guidelines as kosher dogs, count me in!

As for not serving swine, big deal. The market will bear that out, right? If enough people want it back, it will be back. If not, then go somewhere that serves it. The idea that subway is the pinnacle of sandwich making is sort of ridiculous, anyway. As I said, Subway is gross. Upset that Subway no longer serves pig meat? Good, now you have an excuse to aim higher, and go eat somewhere decent, instead.

Is anybody else having flashbacks to a few months ago when Amanda was all over Lucas's ass about his use of the word "majority"?

oh, I missed that!

Sorry. It was his use of "probably".

Well, I think that was different for a couple reasons. First, because Lucas' use of 'probably' went to the central question, which in that thread, was the probability of alien life existing. If the whole point of the thread is to discuss probability, then the use of the word "probably" is kinda important. Second, because I wasn't trying to pick a fight with Lucas. I like Lucas. I was legitimately and genuinely trying to find out why Lucas' believed that aliens probably existed, and none of my posts were really that snarky. Now Lucas got the impression I was just trying to argue semantics, which I wasn't, since his word choice goes to the root of the question, and I said that over and over (nicely, mind you, note I never name called or was rude or sarcastic to Lucas), so that he would get my intent, but he didn't want to talk about it and got all brusque with me, so I guess that was that.

A little different than RC- what he does is post a bunch of little sarcastic one-liners, many of them non-sequiturs, quibbles with little minute points here and there that are tangential to the main point, while using this faux cheerful voice (with a lot of exclamation marks and/or caps lock). I've tried engaging him before, as I posted above, and what he does then is just deliberately avoid laying out his point in a standard paragraph form and just replies with more sarcastic one-liners while avoiding any points you make, so you never really even know what he's trying to argue. It's annoying and quite frankly, a waste of my time, which is why I'm not going to continue replying to him and indulge in his attention whoring unless he drops the schtick and actually tells me what his argument is. Whenever I talk to him, it's kinda like we're two candidates at a town hall meeting, or a debate or whatever, and I show up and make my speech in standard outline form, saying what my points are, and then he responds by doing some interpretative dance and reading poetry. Every post with him he has to act like he's doing some theater show addressing the fourth wall reader instead of talking to me.. it reminds me of hipsters I know, where in every facet of their life they act like they're doing some type of in-life performance art, and after a while, it's just like- hey, can you act like a normal human being for a sec. Makes it hard to communicate.

Halal option removed from Subway website to protect employees due to threatening/offensive messages they have received since the story broke.

:eek:

Also, while there hasn't been much new news on this story, from what little I've been able to glean, it looks like it has more to do with appealing to the regional customer base than bending to any sort of PC demands or hysterics.

So basically, the people being nastiest here are the ones sending threats/vulgarity Subway's direction.

-------

EDIT: Goddammit. Cerina or Brando, can you fix the edit window so we can have 1-2 minutes to fix minor spelling/grammar/formatting areas without the ugly "EDIT" mark showing up? That would be super!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.