No More Ham and Bacon at Nearly 200 Subways OMG!

Pong Messiah

Tabloidy article, but does this concern you?

If so, did you know (and if so, were you concerned) that they also have Kosher Subways in the United States?
:eek:
-------
Personally, I could care less what they serve, but I think a much better way of going about doing it would be to add to the existing menu, rather than taking away the choice of existing customers. Of course it is possible the stores that pulled ham and bacon from the menu already had such a high percentage of Muslim customers so as to make the change much less of an issue.

What's the larger story here? That a profit-driven business caved to a vocal segment of its customer (or potential customer) base? Is it bad if the change is driven by Muslims, rather than any other god-botherers?

Oh no the sinister Musulman and the grotesque Hebrew eat at our precious 'restaurants' too what will become of us waaaaahhhhh

As soon as I clicked the link and saw it was in the UK, I understood.

The UK is essentially a majority Muslim country now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Religion

Are you just saying blatantly incorrect things to provoke a response?

I think what Subway could have done to avoid issues is to have selected stories in demographically heavy Musilm neighborhoods cater to those neighborhoods, instead of applying a blanket directive. That or just saying to their franchise owners, "Dudes, your shop is in a no pork zone, well mostly, your choice to still sell pork or you could take our advice from these surveys we've conducted and cater to your local market."

What's the larger story here? That a profit-driven business caved to a vocal segment of its customer (or potential customer) base? Is it bad if the change is driven by Muslims, rather than any other god-botherers?

It is bad if the change is driven by any vocal minority and it deprives choice from the non-minority portion of the customer base. Especially if it is a tasty choice. This goes for intolerant Muslims and pork, intolerant vegans and veal, intolerant Christians and sex shops next to their Bible-marts, whatever.

Now, if these Subway stores are in areas where Muslim patrons are actually the majority and they weren't selling much ham or bacon to begin with, it makes sense, and I don't see anything too silly about it.

Businesses that don't cater to their consumers go out of business.

That's what the question is here. Are they catering to a small group of whiny religious nuts, or are they catering to people who actually spend money on sandwiches?

We'll find out. If the stores close because the ham lovers go elsewhere, we'll know they ignored the real customer.

Yep. Not being terribly clever or forthcoming in the piece I read in The Blaze earlier today, but you have to consider the source. If I were being questioned by a salivating, half-psychotic right-winger who wanted to turn my store a political cause, I'd probably be trying to get off the phone as quickly as possible too.

Change is always driven by vocal minorities. Quiet minorities don't get any attention, and the majority of people are indifferent and apathetic.

Not exactly sure what your point is? I don't think anybody is saying change is driven by an indifferent and apathetic majority...

:confused:

Well, its very American. Because the majority of the population doesn't care about the BS or feel motivated enough to do anything. I mean its why the Tea Party has people in office. Most people in the US do not vote. They're too busy working or living life to participate or invoke change.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

When I managed Taco Bell we had all kinds of crazy bean eating vegetarians raising hell about things. But because they were such a small minority they received lip service about their comments being noted and here is some free coupons for cinnamon twists and look, you can make your own food your way here through special request but the pricing will be different.

A pork product is cheap. So I don't know why getting rid of this is a good thing for Subway unless it really is a thing that they weighed the options about and felt it was getting thrown out and not getting eaten. We offered low fat cheese and sour cream once at Taco Bell but that only lasted for about a year. No one was buying it.

Pong, my point is that complaining about people who complained and got something changed is stupid. Things only change when people complain. The fact that they're Muslims asking for something different rather than, say, hipsters is meaningless. If the vocal group weren't god-botherers, would you care about this event? Would it even be "news"?

"Atheist as-holes force Subway to serve puppy meat!" would be news. Muslims asking for halal meat is not.

Pong, my point is that complaining about people who complained and got something changed is stupid. Things only change when people complain. The fact that they're Muslims asking for something different rather than, say, hipsters is meaningless. If the vocal group weren't god-botherers, would you care about this event? Would it even be "news"?

Sorry, but totally disagree. Not all change is smart or good. If a change is stupid and/or bad, nothing wrong with complaining about it. And the person or people who are clamoring for change is often as important as what they are complaining for, because everybody has an agenda.

Yes, I think religion in general is tragic and poisonous, monotheism in particular. But I would also care if a minority of hipsters incessantly whined about removing an "offensive" product the majority of people were perfectly OK with until they got their way. Of course, if we're talking about a privately owned store in a hipster-majority city or neighborhood catering to its clientele, it would cease being an issue of a whiny minority of people and one of "When in Rome," and I have no issue with that. I mean, the liquor laws in Utah are stupid, but people have a right to live how they want within certain parameters.

Isn't halal meat pretty much the same thing as kosher meat?

There are a lot of similarities, but definitely not the same. One is blessed, the other is not, different parts of the animal are used (especially with beef cuts), preparation rules are different, too (one allows mixing with dairy products but no wine, the other allows wine but no dairy, etc).

Spam, funny that you mention Taco Bell and the "crazy" bean-eating vegetarians. I'd like to think I was never crazy, but as a vegetarian, I have eaten my share of bean burritos, 7 layer burritos, cheesy bean and rice burritos, tostadas, etc. Heck, I just named 4 different things on the menu that I could order without having to go into substitutions or crazy pricing. Never once did I have to complain (unless they botched my order, which has happened a time or two, but not often).

I want to know how it's possible to botch an order for a tostada.

Also: I realize it's basically cardboard with hemi-demi-semibeans, lettuce remnants, and a few drops of watery hot sauce, but the tostada is my favorite thing on the Taco Bell menu.

:confused:

As soon as I clicked the link and saw it was in the UK, I understood.

The UK is essentially a majority Muslim country now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom#Religion

Are you just saying blatantly incorrect things to provoke a response?

Oh goodness. I'm using hyperbole and you damn well know it.

Additionally, you are cherry picking one stat and not talking about the overall public climate and gradual but obvious shift in British culture. In other words, I'm operating on a more sophisticated level than you. The foreign born population in the UK has increased over 50% in the last decade. If you look at Greater London, where a majority of the UK's population lives, you'll find that White British are not a majority, are in fact less than 50%, and so are Christians. Close to 40% of London's population was not born in the UK. The Muslim population is quite large, over 12%, and London probably has the largest communities of say, Pakistanis, outside of Pakistan itself.

Widespread immigration from Muslim countries is a big issue in not only the UK, but across Europe really. It's why you have parties like the National Front in France, or the British National Party, or authors like Theodore Dalrymple, or Thilo Sarrazin, whose Deutschland schafft sich ab, by the way, was the best-selling politics book in Germany for years. And anyone that studies European politics or lives here knows all this. So stop thinking you're all clever and that you've outsmarted me, because you haven't.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.