Star Wars Episode VII Casting News and Character Speculation

Jedi Cool

You guys think way too much into this stuff.

Wanna talk A Song of Ice and Fire?

Totally different. Im not saying there is anything wrong with overly discussing something fictional. What I'm saying is that Star Wars isn't going to pay attention to that small stuff. It's a fairy tale, that small stuff doesn't matter at all.

In ASOIAF, its totally different. The history and lineages are carefully crafted. You can draw an actual inference by thinking back to what's been said already.

In Star Wars, the fact that they were testing carbon freeze on Han in ESB will have zero affect on what is to come.

Besides you couldnt just explain it by saying "they were testing that particular carbon chamber".

But it's both Star Wars and Nightly tradition to talk about these things as if they are. No need to poo poo it.

I'll talk about Star Wars all day long. All I'm saying is that analyzing it in that way is a waste of time because it won't lead to any valid conclusions.

Time travel used to rock when it was a sci-fi rarity. Nowadays pretty much any fictional character this side of Bugs Bunny can time-travel just by leaving their house, waiting ten minutes, crossing the street, and lucking into an experimental time-travel method that'll only work once ever for a very special episode, or maybe twice because derivative sequel movie/episode/issue, or maybe about a thousand trips in a row but that's it they swear.

It's not like I'm refusing to watch any time travel ever again (he said in hopes of starting Doctor Who season 6 this weekend), but it'd be refreshing to retain one major fictional universe where time travel can never happen and no one even brings it up.

I'd prefer either Solo grandkid(s) /or no major character's kids.

Just because we all can easily understand that Leia and Han had some babies. On the flip side when you start saying things like Kenobi's granddaughter you gotta start wondering when he met the woman, when the child come in etc. etc. all the while remembering his stances and the Jedi stances in the PT (no EU) and implications he was guarding Luke on Tatooine. etc. All that starts to get heavy with expo.

However having one be a Solo means the Skywalker line lives at least genetically. Then the other can be a newb or you could play to fandom by saying s/he is Wedge Antilles grandkid. Or Porkins'. :-D

ShadowDog has said before that the reason so many people love Mara Jade is because we finally got another female character, and to a point, it's true. (It helped that she was awesome.)

I may not have made this clear but what I meant was she was a WELL DRAWN, WELL EXECUTED female character, something that SW fans had been hungering for all along and never really gotten. I don't think that it was just that she was female. I think if she had been badly written she would be a footnote in the EU.

It would be nice if I pick up a science fiction book and there are an equal number of male and female characters. Or, you know, just any book. Or TV show, or movie. But it seems to be very dispropotionate when it comes to science fiction and fantasy, which is crazy, because you can create these worlds to be anything you want. I write sci-fi and I make the majority of my characters biracial or multiracial, because I think that makes sense for stories set in the future, not because I'm trying to send a message. I'm currently writing a book in which the three POV characters are all women, and one of my fears is that people are going to say it's too female-centric. Even though I've read TONS of books in which all the major characters are male or there's only one female character. I'm really hoping someone throws that at me so I can point out that, actually, the male characters outnumber the females.

I've run into this with my locally syndicated TV series Dead Room. The whole concept was "Hey, wouldn't it be nice to have a genre TV series that focused on the adventures of 4 teenage girls that:

1) Does't have a hundred storylines revolving around them dating and all that drama

2) Has that 4-2 women to men ratio rather than what is common, the reverse

So four of our six leads are female covering different archetypes. You've got the ass kicking jock bitch, which is a common type. But you also have the nerd, the hippie, and the emotionally damaged and vulnerable girl. None of them are sluts or airheads and only one of them dates in Season One.

So what do I keep running into from investors and even female actors (!) all the time? "You should make the jock, Shawna, a guy!" Yeah ... um ... that kinda defeats the whole purpose of what we're trying to do with the show. People don't believe that a show like this will have an audience because they think guys won't like it because there's not enough guys and girls won't like it because there's no enough guys. I disagree. We'll find out who's right.

So what do I keep running into from investors and even female actors (!) all the time? "You should make the jock, Shawna, a guy!"

Oo, oo, oo, then Shawn(a) the Guy can fall in love with the emotionally vulnerable girl and they can run off together!

BUT WHERE'S LANDO

AND WHERE ARE THE OTHER WOMEN AND BLACK PEOPLE

Aaaaand, now you don't have to move anything, because that pretty much summed it all up right there.

This literally made orange juice go up my nose.

Seriously-- the only way a Jedi or Sith from the before times could show up in the ST is if they were frozen in carbonite!

DENIED!

There's also time travel. They can introduce that into the mythos.

JJ is involved and there always seems to be time travel/parallel universes involved.

THAT'S IT! There's a parallel universe where Darth Vader is still alive and so is The Emperor. Luke died in it and now they find out he's alive in the other and so they cross over.

Are you saying I would watch the love child of Jeff Goldblum and Jeff Goldblum or that I would watch Jeff Goldblum make a love child with Jeff Goldblum?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.