Star Wars Episode VII Casting News and Character Speculation

Jedi Cool

Since the casting news has created a big topic for conversation, I thought I'd create a new thread for those who want to specifically talk about their reaction to the casting revelations, as well as any speculation on characters they might be playing.

I'm not moving all those posts over here from the Confirmed News thread unless y'all want me to.

So, in keeping with the "character speculation" portion of the thread title (sort of), who do you guys think the enemy faction will be? Will it be the Sith all over again? Do you want it to be the Sith all over again? Personally, I feel that Disney ought to respect George Lucas's vision where the Sith were defeated in Episode VI, the Force is back in balance, and now it's time for a different type of enemy to step up to the plate. Even if that enemy is another dark side faction other than the Sith, I think the Sith should be laid to rest.

My thoughts...

John Boyega is the Luke of the ST. Young Jedi, growing in power; total heroes journey stuff.
Daisy Ridley is the new Leia, if casting sides to be believed, Obi-Wan Kenobi's grand-daughter, another Jedi
Oscar Isaac is the new Han, the roguish, rough guy-- smuggler too obvious, maybe a bounty hunter or spec forces guy

Max Von Sydow is the big villain, a political/dictator type guy
Adam Driver is his right hand, a former Jedi, falling to the dark side.

Domhnall Gleeson is Oscar Isaac's sidekick
Andy Serkis is new Chewbacca.Jar-Jar alien sidekick character.

"Yoda spoke of another" said Luke to Obi-Wan in ROTJ

"The other he spoke of was your twin sister..."

Not sure how Luke heard that while he was flying away, but he did, and Obi-wan said it was Leia.

Seriously-- the only way a Jedi or Sith from the before times could show up in the ST is if they were frozen in carbonite!

Not the Sith, not the Sith. Not even someone claiming to be Sith. Something new.

Are Klingons played out yet?

NuTrek Bling-Klingons might be fun in a Star Wars romp. Better than a Sith, anyway. Unless it was a Klingon Sith (a Sithon?)!

"Yoda spoke of another" said Luke to Obi-Wan in ROTJ

"The other he spoke of was your twin sister..."

Not sure how Luke heard that while he was flying away, but he did, and Obi-wan said it was Leia.

Seriously-- the only way a Jedi or Sith from the before times could show up in the ST is if they were frozen in carbonite!

I just assumed Yoda told Luke offscreen.

Yoda's last words in ROTJ: there is another Skywalker

Actually, it was more like..."there is ano..ther...Sk.yyyyyy...walllllll....kkkkkkkkkkkk" Dead.

So he could be referring to a new bridge connecting his hut to the swamp, for all we know. :D

Yeah, near-lightspeed travel is effective travel into the future at more than 1 second per second. Seems unlikely, though.

I hesitate to ask, but is carbonite a proven long-term hibernation technology in Star Wars? The point of freezing Han was to test that it wouldn't immediately kill the subject. If it had killed Han, Vader would've compensated Fett (or maybe not - who trusts a Sith at their word?). Vader wanted to use carbonite to make transporting Luke to Sidious easier - no fussing during the trip. Since there was some question as to the ability of a human to survive the process, that means that it is not a standard activity. Lando's carbonite freezing chamber was usually used to freeze tibanna gas, wasn't it? Forcing a human to freeze was not standard procedure, I take it. So, how often would it happen, and how long would a carbonite-encased individual last? Would a Jedi from 55+ years ago last to Episode VII? If hibernation is a common procedure in the galaxy far, far away, carbonite freezing is not the standard method apparently.

Is it possible to think too much about Star Wars, on a Star Wars-oriented board? I think not. And if carbonite is used to transport a Jedi across the decades, I'll walk out and ask for my money back, then start a boycott of Episodes VIII, IX, and X! Yes, there will be an Episode X. Count on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.