Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CONFIRMED: The Final Say on the EU's relation to the new films

98 replies to this topic

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Lucasfilm has made an official statement:

http://starwars.com/...a-new-page.html

Here's a recap:

1. The new films will NOT follow any plots from the established post ROTJ EU

2. The movies, The Clone Wars animated series, and the Rebels animated series are the only official canon.

3. EU books, videogames and comics will continue, but continuity will now respect points 1 and 2

4. Existing EU material that does not fight with the scheme above will now be republished under the "Legends" banner, which is similar to Dark Horse Infinity line, or DCs Elseworlds. In other words, they are no longer part of canon, but considered alternate events. Fans are welcome to consider them alternate dimensions, timelines, or whatever else they need to better sleep at night. Popular EU material from this era, like Zahn's trilogy, will continue to be reprinted as long as it is popular.

5. All EU material is up for cherry-picking, but it does not mean the source material is canonized. Meaning, if they add Mara Jade into a future on-screen work, this does not canonize the stories she originated from. 

Edited by Driver, 25 April 2014 - 01:08 PM.

• Evolence and El Chalupacabra +1 this

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• Members
  • 4,020 posts
I'm surprised they even bothered to say this out loud (I just assumed it'd be left to whoever's stuck in charge of the EU to square the circle of the films' inevitable differences) but this is a status quo more or less predictable from 30/10/12.

And yet somehow while I had patience enough to read well over a hundred Star Wars books I just can't summon the interest for the six minute YouTube video appended to the press release linked above.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Well heres the funny thing-- NO this isn't anything new. This is more or less what most people have been saying for eons. But then there's those uber EU fans who make a lot of noise at you if you dare to sat the new movies aren't going to have Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade. They make enough noise that Lucasfilm knows they have to say something official.

They found the safest way possible to placate them while shutting them down ensuring they will still be buying movie tickets.

• R.CAllen +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,392 posts
WOO HOO!

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Well heres the funny thing-- NO this isn't anything new. This is more or less what most people have been saying for eons. But then there's those uber EU fans who make a lot of noise at you if you dare to sat the new movies aren't going to have Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade. They make enough noise that Lucasfilm knows they have to say something official.

They found the safest way possible to placate them while shutting them down ensuring they will still be buying movie tickets.

I still don't get why Disney is bothering to save some of its fans from some of its other fans from having arguments on the Internet.

WHEN I AM IN CHARGE OF STAR WARS THIS PRESS RELEASE WILL BE MADE NON-CANONICAL TOUT SUITE

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,522 posts

I have so many thoughts and feelings. Mostly right now I'm constantly reloading Facebook to see if they've posted the cover of the Luke novel. (They just posted it, I'm in love.) I got out my rage earlier. Still waiting for Episode VII to blow me away because there's no excuse for it not to. We'll see. I don't think my vision of the post-RotJ universe will mesh much with George's. 

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 3,620 posts

It's cool, George will spend the next 20 years explaining how he always intended his view a different way than it was actually presented.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

I don't think we're getting George's vision, we'll be seeing what people raised on Star Wars envision... Which is why I'm excited.

Edited by Driver, 25 April 2014 - 03:41 PM.

• Ryn and David +1 this

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 3,620 posts

George always envisioned handing it off to Disney and having JJ Abrams hired.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

George always envisioned retiring with Eleventy billion dollars.

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts

This is the best Star Wars news I've heard since seeing ROTJ in theaters as a little kid!  Now I can use all of those apocryphal EU paperbacks as firebricks next winter.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Here's the thing I don't get--

This notion that something fictional can be made to not count. Why is continuity/canon even a thing? They are ALL works of fiction. Just because a particular book may not be in line with a movie it' not like the book will vanish from your bookshelf. You can still read it an enjoy it. Why does fandom get all worked up if their favorite story is un-canonized and say that now it "doesn't count?"

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 3,620 posts

Because obsession.

• Driver +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• Supporter/Mods
  • 42,392 posts
I never got that either. Its not a problem in comics with their many timelines.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

You sure? Ask Number Six about all his Silver Age DC comics...

The Choc

The Choc

• Members
  • 8,003 posts

Here's the thing I don't get--

This notion that something fictional can be made to not count. Why is continuity/canon even a thing? They are ALL works of fiction. Just because a particular book may not be in line with a movie it' not like the book will vanish from your bookshelf. You can still read it an enjoy it. Why does fandom get all worked up if their favorite story is un-canonized and say that now it "doesn't count?"

I'm fairly certain I've been saying this for years. Not that Im the first person to think it or say it, it's fairly obvious.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

What will be interesting to see is if material from the old EU is snagged, and rebooted for the new EU.

Mara Jade may not be in the new movies-- but what if one of these new school novels decides to use her-- they could effectively reboot her origin.

Evolence

Evolence

Miss Nail Polish

• Members
  • 12,149 posts

I agree with you Tank and was only being facetious.  I have a bookshelf full of some of the older EU stuff-- a good bit of it I actually read.  But my days of Star Wars obsession are over, so I really don't care one way or the other.  But it's like some of the old school stuff like "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and the old pre-ESB comics.  They clearly don't match the movies, but they can still be read and enjoyed.

The whole premise of "canon" is pretty silly.  We're not talking about the Niccean Council deciding what books make up the Bible-- a book that will be used to persecute and inspire millions of people over hundreds of years.  If ANYBODY has a right to declare canon, it's George Lucas, as this was his baby.  When he sold LucasFilms, as far as I'm concerned, ANYTHING that comes out is not canonical.  They might be great stories.  But then, so were the Zahn novels, etc.

pavonis

pavonis

• Members
  • 6,582 posts

I don't think we're getting George's vision, we'll be seeing what people raised on Star Wars envision... Which is why I'm excited.

But didn't "people raised on Star Wars" give us the EU in the first place? 

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Yes, but I personally don't think Star Wars works as a written medium. To me it is popcorn visuals,, so I'm referring to people like Dave Feloni and JJ Abrams.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• Supporters
  • 36,431 posts

But what about the Ewok movies and the Holiday Special?  These are the most important questions right now.

• Evolence, David and Driver +1 this

pavonis

pavonis

• Members
  • 6,582 posts

Star Wars: Episode VI: Life Day! Canonize the Holiday Special. Film it exactly as it was in all its glory back in 1978!

• Evolence, Ryn and Driver +1 this

Fozzie

Fozzie

• Admin
  • 3,620 posts
Movies are canon. That's what I got. So Ewok movies are in and The Holiday Special is double in.

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Yeah-- they seem to say on-screen is canon. If TCW and Rebels counts, why not Droids, Ewoks, Ewok movies and Holiday special count too?

Doze

Doze

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Great New!!! The cartoons are now canon. I can live with this!

Reply to this topic