Book Club Reading Challenge 2014 - Round 2

Cashmere

The What?
It's pretty simple - at the end of this post you will find a list of reading challenges to complete over the course of the round. Each challenge has a point value. The more challenges you complete, the more points you earn. The person with the most points at the end of the Challenge wins.

More details in the spoiler box, but here's the short version: Check out the challenges below. Read books that fit the criteria within this round's timeframe (April-June). Post about them here. Win points! There are also bonus points and lightning rounds which you can read about in the extended rules inside the spoiler box.

The Details.
Round two begins at 12:00am EST on April 1, 2014. Round two ends at 11:59pm EST on June 30, 2014. Books read for this round will be started and finished within this time period. If time becomes a factor in the Challenge, the time stamp on your posts related to the Challenge will be used to determine the eligibility of your submission. Timed portions of this game will be played using EST because Cashmere decrees it.

You may be thinking "rounds, you say?" Yes, this is round two of four. The Full Challenge will end on December 31st, 2014, at 11:59pm EST. At the start of 2015, we will use the cumulative points to name an ULTIMATE WINNER.

Books read must be at least 200 pages long. Ebooks and audio books are fine, as long as the print copy of the book totals 200+ pages.

Each book read counts for one challenge. Even if a book would technically fulfill multiple challenges, you can only use it to fulfill one challenge of your choice.

Each challenge can only be claimed once.To earn points for a book read, make a post in this thread containing this information: The challenge the book fulfills, the point value of that challenge, and the author and title of the book.

And don't forget the BONUS ROUNDS!
A book submitted for any challenge can be used in a bonus round, if it meets the following criteria - if the book, series, or author has not been discussed in the Book Club before, you can earn an extra 20 points from this book if your start a discussion thread in the Book Club about the book, series, or author. This bonus can be used three times within this round.
Once between April 1 at 12:00am EST and April 30 at 11:59pm EST.
Once between May 1 at 12:00am EST and May 31 at 11:59pm EST.
Once between June 1 at 12:00am EST and June 30 at 11:59pm EST.

NEW Rules for 2014
The 2014 game will now include Lightning Rounds! When a Lightning Round opens, you can collect bonus points for any type of reading that you complete!
5 Points: Magazine Articles, Comic Books, short Graphic Novels (under 50 pages)
10 points: books of any type/genre under 200 pages, graphic novels between 50 and 199 pages
15 points: books of any type/genre 200 pages or over

You will know a lightning round is open when the thread title reads: Lightning Round! I will also edit this post to indicate that one is open. They will open at least once per round for approximately 1 week at a time.

The lightning round is now closed.

The Challenges!
10. A book set in the past
10. A book set in the future
15. A collection of essays or poetry
15. A book originally written in a language other than English
15. A Steampunk book
15. A book that has been adapted into a movie (or will be in 2014)
20. A book about extraordinary things happening to ordinary people
20. A book set in a culture that is not your own
30. A book at or over 1,000 pages

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to make a reading list and put in some holds. Starting my first point-bearing book within the week! Hopefully life will settle down a bit after April is over and I'll be able to dedicate some time to reading again.

• 4 weeks later...

That'd be Three by Kieron Gillen and Ryan Kelly. Happens (mostly) in 364 B.C.

15. A collection of essays or poetry

Andrew Rilstone's collection The Viewer's Complete Tale would be best described to the Internet illiterate as a collection of essays, I think. Very little of the material collected falls short of essay length, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, is it too late to get in on this sh-t?

Also, how are these points verified? Is this just sorta an 'on your honor' thing?

Just wondering, because I'm a speed-reader and go through at least one or two books a week, sometimes more. It used to be even more than that, when I still lived in NYC and rode the subway to work every day with my kindle. So I'm not gonna start listing all my points if people start getting all up in my sh-t and get on my case, accusing me of making up stuff and just listing books. Just take the last challenge for instance, I haven't done the math, but just by eyeballing it, I think I probably doubled Virul's score.

I think I already read all of this round's challenges except the 1000 page one, which I'm gonna finish sometime this weekend. Have about 100 pages or so left on the Oxford History of the United States: From Colony to Superpower.

Lightning only strikes where you least expect it!

Speed reading must have been super helpful in law school. It's a cool talent to have.

Points are on the honor system, so cheating might be running rampant, but I doubt it. Enjoy those articles in the morning, and welcome aboard.

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

Although not entirely set in the past due to the time travelly nature of the characters, there are well over 200 pages that take place in the past, so I'm counting it. :)

Total: 60

The Challenges!
10. A book set in the past: Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley
10. A book set in the future: Star Trek Strange New Worlds anthology edited by Dean Wesley Smith
15. A collection of essays or poetry: Poetic Edda Mythological Poems by Henry Adams Bellows
15. A book originally written in a language other than English: Gunnm vol 2 by Yukito Kishiro
15. A Steampunk book: Changeless by Gail Carriger
15. A book that has been adapted into a movie (or will be in 2014): The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
20. A book about extraordinary things happening to ordinary people: Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore
20. A book set in a culture that is not your own: Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith
30. A book at or over 1,000 pages: Avengers vs X-men Companion by various

Lightning Round:

Avengers vs X-men 15p

Fantastic Four by Hickman vol.5 15p

Fantastic Four by Hickman vol.6 10p

FF vol. 4 10p

Spider-Man One Moment in Time 10p

Spider-man Origin of the Species 15p

Spider-man Big Time ultimate collection 15p

Spider-man The Return of Anti-Venom 10p

Spider-man Spider Island 15p

Spider-man Spider Island Companion 15p

Spider-man Flying Blind 10p

Spider-man Trouble on the Horizon 10p

Spider-man Ends of the Earth 10p

Spider-man Lizard No Turning Back 10p

Spider-man Danger Zone 10p

Spider-man Dying Wish 10p

Superior Spider-man My Own Worst Enemy 10p

Secret Avengers Run the Mission Don't Get Seen Save the World 10p

New Guardians vol 2 Beyond Hope 10p

New Guardians vol 3 Love & Death 15p

Green Lantern Corps vol.3 Willpower 15p

Green Lantern vol.3 The End 15p

Red Lanterns vol.3 The Second Prophecy 15p

• 3 weeks later...

Round 2 Totals

Fozzie 10

R.CAllen 25

Cashmere 90

Darth Virul 430

At the halfway point, totals are as follows:

Ms.Spam
Poisin
R.CAllen
Fozzie
Cashmere
Darth virul
Will someone quit their job and read continuously this round to try to catch DV, or will he remain the undisputed king of the lightning round? Tune in next quarter to see! And also, congrats for pwning everyone again, DV!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.