Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Darth Ender

Anyone else excited for this movie?

I am loving Michael Bay is producing. I am one of the few people that think his take on Transformers is quite good and I am excited for his spin on TMNT.

I like the overall look of the the toys. The Shredder pictures, which have been taken taken down via Paramount, are spot on mix off haunting and badassary. I am skeptical of the inclusion of a Turtle van (a tad cartoony for me). Hopefully Bay's version will be a reflection on the original comic material and will be a bit more darker then the previous live action iterations where slap-stick comedy, the turtles not using their weapons, and comic-relief served as the primary villains ruined the movies.

You're worried about a van being too cartoony in a film about humanoid turtles that know martial arts?

Yeah.

Compare the first and second movies. The first was gritty and felt much more like the comic book. The second movie felt like I was watching a live action version of the cartoon.

You're right, but at the same time I liked that. The franchise is of two minds, obviously not overtly dissimilar but different still. Kinda mirrors the Batman franchise actually in how it divides the base on just what the property is supposed to be.

About those original Turtles films, I remember hoping the third film would be even more absurd/fantastic like a movie version of the Turtles in Time arcade game just to showcase that quirk of the property too. We got the time travel in the third film, but alas no dinosaurs. Oh well.

Anyway, with Bay involved this film could go several ways both in tone and quality. I still watch The Rock occasionally, just love the heck out of that flick (but I pretend whenever they say John Mason they actually say James Bond). If Bay could recapture some of that film's balance then I think his new projects could quiet his critics.

Have you seen the Nickelodeon Turtles btw? It's great. IMO it flawlessly blends some of the comic book tones with the camp of the 80s cartoon. It's still a toon and obviously made to sell toys, but it hits all it's beats in a satisfying way.

If you've never thought to peruse DeviantART to see different artists/fans takes on characters then check them out by searching eg. TMNT redesign. Side Note: If you search DA do so with the mature filter on if you are in a NSFW enviroment, the default setting on the site to non-members is SFW, but that is an honors system re:tagging. If a member wants to be a jerk they could not tag their work as mature, so be wary in a work setting.

Here's my favs:

http://ancorgil.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-430223333

http://davidrapozaart.deviantart.com/art/Michelangelo-253336628

http://anklesnsocks.deviantart.com/art/the-turtles-343939087

http://thewoodenking.deviantart.com/art/TMNT-redesigns-316575451

Have you seen the Nickelodeon Turtles btw? It's great. IMO it flawlessly blends some of the comic book tones with the camp of the 80s cartoon. It's still a toon and obviously made to sell toys, but it hits all it's beats in a satisfying way.

I haven't watched the new cartoon, but I have been reading the new comic series from IDW and I love it. I don't want to say too much about it because it has some nice twists on the formula that tie together various aspects of the movies, cartoon, and original comics and those twists are a good part of the fun at times, but it has been great and I look forward to the new issue coming out each month.

I heard that IDW was doing more Turtles, if they've been going long enough to get a 1st Vol trade out I might be able to find it at my local library. Here's hoping.

As for crushes, let's be honest; Yellow partially unzipped jumpsuit. As a kid prior to seeing that set I'd only seen Khan's and his did not get my attention that way.

Okay, Leia's bikini was prior to that but the Khan thing made me chuckle as I thought that sentence up.

Some people saw the new trailer at a convention and here is a typical review:

Shredder then drops the biggest bomb of all and perhaps the movie’s biggest change in TMNT mythos: knowing that heroes are not born but rather created, Shredder actually worked with April’s dad to create the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

source

By saying that Shredder makes the Turtles it could be as simple as like in Burton's Batman that the Joker makes Batman and Batman in turn makes the Joker.

eg. April's dad works at TCRI (Techno-Cosmic Research Institute). April's dad is either morally ambiguous when it comes to scientific applications or he gets compromised into working with Shredder. Shredder wants a super soldier... or more accurately a super ninja. TCRI is actually a front for "aliens" (extraterrestrial, not necessarily from space). April's Dad and or Shredder know this or they don't, doesn't matter to the point. They work on making super ninja, they develop The Ooze. Shit meets fan, crisis of conscious or whatever. A catalyst ignites change and somehow The Ooze ends up with a rat and some turtles. Boom! Shredder and April's Dad created the Turtles.

Did you guys know the original Turtles origin is an unofficial spinoff of Marvel's Daredevil?

I had no idea. All I know about Daredevil is one half of a Ben Affleck movie. I will look the background story up. That does make sense as Laird and Eastman came up with TMNT by goofing around and spoofing various comic tropes. They wrote the comic as a joke.

*sigh* I'm still going to go see it.

What? That looks AWESOME!

2015 Oscars will be the best ever! Transformers 4, Guardians, X-Men, Sin City. There will be multiple tough decisions for the committee--good thing there will be an obvious best picture in TMNT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.