Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Running as a hobby

156 replies to this topic

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,011 posts
Your daughter may be right about you being the biggest bad ass ever! Although my wife is pretty bad ass, too.

I'm just a regular ass.

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
Awesome! That sounds like an insane two days. Glad you made it through!

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,274 posts
Yeah good job! Sounds like you smashed it!

As for the food thing, I'm with you! There really is no need to massively alter diet at all for long distance running. Just eating normally with a bit more emphasis on carbs for energy is fine...maybe slightly larger portion sizes than when you're not training. I don't understand why people would chow down on protein bars at the expense of actual food, especially as protein is the most beneficial for recovery and muscle growth. Not energy. As for hydration gels... They are totally unnecessary. Unless your looking at doing full marathon/ultra marathon distance...then you may need the electrolytes. But they're basically a needless consumer product neatly marketed at fitness people.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,663 posts
I'm big on eating "whole foods" whenever possible. I'm not paleo, I'm not whole 30 or anything, just eat real food as much as possible. I had a few bars and protein shakes with me for snacks and recovery, but I had anticipated getting food along the way. I was one of two people to eat a light lunch before we started, and then the two of also got breakfast (sausage patty, eggs, and a muffin) at one of the exchanges. Just very odd. It was very hot so maybe that surpressed their appetites, but I would have been falling over exhausted without fuel (and come to think of it, they napped a lot more than I did).

There was at least one control freak in the van, too, so I had a few concerns about possible eating disorders, but really, I don't like to speculate on that stuff much. They do run in my husband's family, though, so I tend to notice the warning signs.

Otherwise, I did get along with everyone very well. The others have all said this was the best van experience they ever had, and I will say that no one had weird dirty habits, no loud music, or anything like that, so I probably did pretty well if getting hangry was my only annoyance. The unofficial results say that we finished right at about the 50%ile, so very happy with that.

Thinking about a 1k or Beat the Blerch with my daughter. She's a little competitive like mom, so if we do a 5k, she's going to get pissed if she gets tired and has to walk.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts

I had never heard of this thing until seeing your posts on Strava (or maybe it was FB... or both?). Sounds awesome!

I'm getting my fat ass back into it. It's been a rough summer, as I've only run about 3 times since late May. But if I'm gonna do the Monumental in early November I should probably start to ramp up...

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,663 posts
You've never heard of Ragnar? Dude they have one from Chicago to Madison!

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,274 posts
Yeah I haven't been running since doing the 1/2 marathon back in May (unless you count warm up runs before weight training on the treadmill at the gym running).

Need to get back on it. This summer has been really warm though and I can't stand running in heat.

Reply to this topic