Running as a hobby

Cashmere

Hah, that's pretty close to what I'm doing anyway. But my cross-training might be a little too intense because I combine it with the 2-3 mile run. Eh.

I think 10k is going to be my max distance. I don't have much time to run much more than an hour. I have a lot of friends who are far slower than me but run further. They claim 10k is the "perfect distance". I don't know if I'm convinced lol. I'm definitely capable of a 7-8k, but I think I like the shorter sprint distances. I'd love to get my 5k under 25 minutes but that is going to take some work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started running again, and it has been shocking. Since I just started running again, one mile should be the distance that feels good, and I've never run more than 5k before. On my third run since starting, pwas able to run 3.1 miles at a place that was 2 minutes shorter than my previous mile pace. I shouldn't be able to do this.

I have been doing strength training quite a bit, with some resistance bands at my desk at work. I have pretty long periods of inactivity, so I get plenty of opportunities.

I need to lose a lot of weight before I can think about running again, but I'm trying to get myself back into exercise now to improve my cardio. I bought an under desk elliptical for work, which I am still getting used to. I can't do all of my work while using it, but it is some extra exercise that I wouldn't otherwise get. I'm also trying to get myself back into using my gazelle for light workouts at least a few days a week while walking outside other days.

It's a nice piece of equipment. It is nice to use while I am reading papers, grading for my undergraduate class, and while I am just trying to brainstorm some ideas. I keep forgetting to get some Glade to help keep the wheels attached to the pedals from squeaking on the metal plate underneath them.

I've started running again, and it has been shocking. Since I just started running again, one mile should be the distance that feels good, and I've never run more than 5k before. On my third run since starting, pwas able to run 3.1 miles at a place that was 2 minutes shorter than my previous mile pace. I shouldn't be able to do this.

I have been doing strength training quite a bit, with some resistance bands at my desk at work. I have pretty long periods of inactivity, so I get plenty of opportunities.

This is great! I'll bet the strength training is helping build your endurance.

I start indoor soccer Wednesday. I hope I don't die. Had a bit of a setback last weekend with a pulled calf muscle, but luckily it was just a strain, no tearing. Next time I'll do a better job warming up, these cold runs really suck. I'm going to try to do a slow 4.5 miles this weekend to get back into it. I took a whole week off of Orangetheory and got a set of compression sleeves (but only using it on the injured side). I've felt good going a bit slower than my usual paces, I might be ready to try my full pace again next time I go, but I'm going to lay off the inclines for another week or so. Despite this, I actually think I can pull off 9:30/mile average pace by race day (5 weeks).

Speaking of a good warmup, how much warmup should I do on a race day? I don't really want to waste time warming up at the beginning of the race. I usually start out on my training runs at about a 10:30/mile pace for the first 3/4 mile or so before I pick up the pace. I want to balance staying fresh with being ready to go.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just ran my first 1/2 marathon with my girlfriend and some mates. We all finished with various times but I was stoked. Did it in 1 hour 55 mins which was under my goal of 2 hours. Not bad. Not epic special, but still reaches my target which I was happy with! So much fun. From the 10 mile mark it starts to get really hard!

Thanks! Yeah they're pretty achy today. It was fun! I definitely think I could do it faster, but since it was my first I just wanted to take it easy and do it kind of comfortably. The worst would be to go out the gate too hard and crap out at the 10 mile mark or something. But my cardio was fine. I was still breathing through my nose at the 9 mile mark, no panting or anything. So I know I could push myself more in that regard. But my legs were still knackered. A little localised pain in my left hip and knee but nothing too major. I think more strength / weight training on the legs would help a lot.

Some of my friends did it around the 1.40 mark and one of my mates who is nuts about running did it in 1.27. Crazy! The beer afterwards was the best beer I think I've ever drank in my life haha.

The atmosphere of the race itself was amazing, lots of spectators. 20,000 runners. Through the burbs of east London. Lots of soundsystems along the way and random people cheering for you. I'm really glad I did it!

I might try a half next year. I'm doing Ragnar this summer, so I figured that plus a half was a good recipe for burnout. Other than that, this year's goal is a sub-25 minute 5k. That's gonna hurt.

Yeah you need to be going pretty swift out the gate to do that. How tall are you?

Yeah you can do it for sure! Shaving a minute or two off your time is not so tough, and that's a great time already considering your height so deffo not an impossible task! My best 5k was 23 mins, but then I'm 6ft and my legs are proportionately longer than average so wasn't super painful to get that time... But I did still have to push pretty hard.

I did the Indy half-marathon earlier this month that is run every year in conjunction with the Indianapolis 500 (which was last Sunday). The weather wrought havoc on the training this spring. I got like 25 miles in during the 30 days leading up to the race. It was disastrous.

I finished in 1:50:2X, which I guess I was pleased with given my training but it was a far cry from the 1:39:59 I had as a goal in January (and substantially slower than my PR from a couple years ago). I'm going to do our Monumental (Half) Marathon in November, I'd like to get sub-1:40 there.

• 1 month later...

I didn't die, although the sports bra chafe was awful. Retiring that bra to 5ks and soccer.

First leg was 6.6 miles, and I thought it was going to be a lot less uphill than it was. Still proud of my time because it was hotter than hell, uphill, and no shade. Also no van support for the worst part, so it was me and 5 oz of water.

Second leg was at 4 am, and only 2.2 miles, so I sped through that in 20 minutes. Nearly took a wrong turn, though, luckily another runner yelled out to me. Going that hard kind of torched my quads, though, and I was extremely tight for the next 12 hours. I think the biggest mistake was I volunteered to drive too soon afterwards. It was a 9.8 mile leg and the runner did not want much support, mostly pictures on Deception Pass, so I sat for too long.

Final leg was at 1:45pm, and 7 miles of rolling hills, followed by the worst decline I've ever seen (300 ft drop over 0.5 mile). Despite the tight quads and calves, I did pretty well and finished that in about 1h20min. I wanted to wall down the hill because it was so bad, but then I spotted my husband and kids at the bottom, and didn't let myself because I couldn't let them down, especially my daughter, who thinks I am the biggest bad ass ever. The rest of the day, all she could talk about was doing a race with me.

Over 15.8 miles, I maybe walked for 5 minutes, between water stops and some evil ass hills (sideways sloped road and a horrible incline, screw you). I'm really proud of my effort and would like to do another Ragnar or maybe Hood to Coast. We had a lot of team drama so I probably won't return to that team (or even the running club next year when my dues expire). I did make some good friends and really bonded with the people in my van, even if they did piss me off a few times. (Why are runners so weird about food? I can't survive off of protein bars and gel for 36 hours.) Overall, a great experience, though, and very glad I did it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.