Running as a hobby

Cashmere

I think running is great when you are younger, but doing so when you are older is dangerous. The human body isn't meant to be that active after 40, which is precisely why you see so many runners having knee/ joint/ hip problems. Weight training is so much better for you.

I think running is great when you are younger, but doing so when you are older is dangerous. The human body isn't meant to be that active after 40, which is precisely why you see so many runners having knee/ joint/ hip problems.

I got 8th overall for women in the last 5k I ran. With the exception of a 24 year old who was psycho and tried to run me off the road, everyone who beat me was 17 or 47. I'd love to be that badass at 47.

The 'human body isn't designed for {insert exercise here} after 40' needs to be taken with a massive fistful of salt.

Like, sure the body doesn't repair itself as easily the older you get.. but your chance of injury also depends on how much you caned it when you were younger. Its more about how much you've already put your body through physically than.. 'at this particular age its super easy to put your back (or knee) out'. One persons physical age of 40 is another persons 50-60, or even someone's 30-35

Question to runners: do you run with headphones on listening to music?

Personally I don't, because I really enjoy the heightened senses whilst running. It's like you shift consciousness to a plane just shy of fight or flight mode. Being in the moment and having sharper hearing and vision is part of the enjoyment for me. It's also stronger at nightfall and after.. Which is my preferred time to run. Anyone else?

A friend told me of this app that interested me... Something called zombie run. Apparently it's kind of radio show that uses your playlists for the soundtrack and the premise is you're a runner in the zombiepocolypse on missions. It tells you when you need to run faster cause there are imaginary zombies behind you trying to munch your brains. Thought that was a cool idea

I don't really listen to music or anything when I run. 90% of my runs are with 1 or more people so we talk the entire time. I rarely do anything over than 3-5 miles by myself. Did a couple solo 9 milers before IIRC that I did listen to music/podcasts during.

Destiny, added you on strava!

9 MILES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You people are crazy.

I'm on death's door after 2.5 miles. Of course I also do a Crossfit class as well every day so there's that.

I used to think 9 miles was an indication of craziness too! Hell, running for any reason other than someone chasing you! I love it now. I got a few 15+ in last spring training for the Mini. I'd like to eventually do a full marathon but haven't managed that scheduling-wise yet.

I usually run in the mornings on Tuesday and Thursday and lift after work every day so there's usually (mostly) ample recovery time. Of course, I play soccer 2-3 nights a week so that sometimes causes a scheduling headache.

This is my current schedule for the next 8 weeks until soccer ends.

Monday: Lift (Squat, Leg Accessory)

Tuesday: Run, Soccer

Wednesday: Lift (Squat, Bench, Deadlift), Soccer

Thursday: Run, Lift (Upper Body Accessory), Soccer

Friday: Legs (Squat, Bench, Lower Accessory)

Saturday: Long Run, Lift (easy, full body or makeup a workout missed because of soccer)

Sunday: Run, Lift (Deadlift, Bench, Upper Body Accessory)

It helps!

It also seems silly to say, but another way to get faster is to... run... faster. Get your body and your legs used to moving at the speed you're wanting them too. Start with however small an interval you need.

Re: soccer

I organized my team a couple years ago and we've gradually found more and more leagues to play in. Once these 3 leagues are over we'll have played 90(!) games this calendar year. Such a blast.

Good luck with the hip replacement.

I'm telling ya it's just a bad bet. People don't wanna touch a weight because they're afraid of them. It's soooooo much better for you.

Your hips, your knees, and, your ankles will thank you. Just lay off on the food and push some weight.

I'm so jealous of Lucas' soccer team. From your Facebook pictures it looks so fun. They are opening a new indoor soccer arena in my town and I've finally found a Women's O30 team. I may actually cut back to 2x a week for Orangetheory if it goes well. Much as I enjoy it, I would still rather play soccer given an hour of free time. But Orangetheory is good for my running because it forces me to do interval training and it gives me more mental toughness when I run, honestly. And it forces me to lift a little bit, but I'll never be the Crossfit type.

Do any of you do serious training for your runs? I mentioned the 10k, and I'm slowly increasing my distance, but I don't know where I should max out and when. I figured a few weeks before I might cut back to 4-4.5 miles so that I'm not strained. But should I run the full 6.2 miles at some point and then decrease? I know marathon runners don't actually run 26.2 miles during training, but 10k isn't nearly the same level of strain.

My educated but not at all expert opinion is that for a 10k you can pretty much do whatever.

Hal Higdon, which is what I loosely use for my training plans, says you can do a final longer run near race distance (5.5mi) a week out, then gradually decrease. When the final distance is only 10k your "taper" isn't going to be as substantial or as long.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

For me, I enjoy getting training runs in that are much longer than race distance. So if you can work yourself up to 7 or 8 2-3 weeks before then cut back that's probably fine too. 8-7-5-race or some progression like that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.