Running as a hobby

Cashmere

Been back on the running buzz for about 6 weeks now. Been running 5K five days a week. Its starting to get a bit too easy now so I think I'm gonna either up my speed or up the distance. Probably distance, since I'd rather run for longer time. My new neighborhood is cool to run through (I'm right on the river) so I don't think Im gonna get lazy and stop during winter this year (like I did last year). Just gonna have to get some proper kit. Although dont have to worry bout that for at least 4 months.

yeah its cool. I love getting to observe the river and the tidal system everytime I run. Its always different, and the water is always behaving differently. There are lots of gulls and crows and stuff about all the time too. Particularly crows which is fun, and they always appear at perfect moments. It was really windy the other day and was SUCH as struggle, so much so that when I turned a corner and it was behind me it blew me down the street and I couldn't slow myself. Just kept falling into each step. Not signed up to any races as I'm not super competitive or anything.. just like to compete against myself.

• 4 weeks later...

My longest run thus far was 11.5 miles. It was a slog--just wasn't feeling it. I'm 3 weeks away from my half marathon, so I'll be up to 13.1 by then! I have a total of 55 miles on my training schedule before then, but nothing further than 11 miles. I'm planning to just gut it out for the last 2 miles on race day.

Oh I forgot to mention, I ran my first 5k a few weeks ago. I didn't do any "training" for it, the guy I ran with was one of the sponsors of the race and he talked me into it the night before over pizza and beer (perfect pre-race meal!). Not that a 5k requires training I just mean I'm still not running lol. I bike 3-4 days a week and am still lifting but I am still of firm belief that only crazy people run. I'm in the red, the guy next to me is who I bike with and whose house I lift at. We ran a nice leisurely 26:50. Probably could have gone a bit faster but not a ton.

11256839_572393276196746_141007548276486

He did the Indianapolis Mini Marathon (at 57!) last month and wants to do it again next year. I may join him.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say that I'm a huge runner but once a year work sponsors a team for an around the lake competition - a 180k circuit with variable terrain. I did the 10k leg after following the couch25k programme for 6 weeks and averaged under 5 mins per km which I was happy with.

Other than that I find excuses easy to come by where running's concerned.

I prefer to do my running at football - but have noticed that I've been getting slower and slower since hitting my mid 30s.

I just bumped up to the over 30 league for my soccer team, so I'm one of the faster ones again. Slow overall, but faster than my competition. :-) I would prefer to do all of my exercise in the form of competitive sports, but it's tough to find them consistently so I took on running as a way to get exercise all by myself.

I'm looking at going to masters (over 35s) in the next year and a half and look forward to regaining some comparative edge again ;)

I think I'll need to seriously think about running as an alternative though as the older I get the less abuse my body can take football (soccer).

just started doing 10km twice a week amongst my 5k runs. Aim to be doing 10km four times a week come the end of summer. Then hopefully keep up that level of exercise for good. I figure a consistent 40km a week is a healthy amount of exercise. Particularly on top of all the standing on my feet and walking around I do.

The half marathon is 13.1 miles (or 21 kilometers, I guess). I ran my last 10 miler in preparation on Saturday and felt okay. I'm aiming for 11 minute miles on race day, which is Sunday. Eek!

Ah okay I wasn't sure whether a mini marathon was the same as a half. I've run two half marathons, one in Barcelona, the other in Madrid. Madrid was horrendous. I didn't prepare properly, it was uphill for the first two-three miles and it was approx 33 degrees (celcius). Horrible. Barca was my first and was much nicer. I would recommend that route, Madrid not so much!

They call the Indy Half the 500 Festival Mini Marathon, it's actually one of the biggest races in the country every year. Like 35,000+ people.The race goes through the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at one point. It's part of the whole month of May/500 Festival/Indianapolis 500 stuff.

I survived my half marathon. Finished in 2:22:42, which was under my goal of 2:30. The last few miles were tough and my legs are killing me, but I'm do glad I did it. There were times when people were walking faster than I was running, but I never stopped.

My coworker who barely trained for it finished 23 minutes faster than me, but she's insanely strong and athletic even though she's not a runner.

I'm just glad I finished!

My best is 1:49, that was barca. I was much much fitter back then. I didn't realise how badly out of shape I had gotten, or how fit I used to be, until I did Madrid.

That was a bad day to do a run and a poorly planned course so was also intensely painful! I had a slight pull on my quad near the end so walk-jogged the last 3k. Ended up just under 2:30.

We have sports day at work in a couple of months so that's an excuse to get back into shape again. Then I might try a few more big runs.

We're just doing it between the Forensics divisions as our company has a lot of different departments too about 800 employees just on our site. A few years ago it was Drugs v DNA, now it's Drugs v DNA v Toxicology. It's not the most athletic sounding of sports days but we do alright!

It's bloody hot here at the moment (91 degrees in your numbers) so hopefully I can shed some of the extra weight a bit quicker and focus on getting fast again! I just need to stick with it. Just need to schedule it around work. Did some sprints on Sunday and played football on Monday. Hopefully I can get some tennis involved when I'm on lates as nobody plays in the mid-morning.

• 1 month later...

I know my hardcore running friend uses it. I use Map my Run if I use my phone and Nike+ on my ipod since it's built in.

I had a revelation the other day. I started running to have an easy solo exercise, but most of my races have been with friends and family, and I've even done some training runs with my husband and brothers. It's been fun!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.