Running as a hobby

Cashmere

I'm in week 4 right now, and my biggest problem has been the rain. I have noticed that the exercise does seem to help with my asthma overall, though, despite causing more problems around the time of running.

It also does wonders for my knees and joints in general. Damn, I'm getting old.

FFS you people and your distance running.

I went out to the soccer field on Saturday and Sunday of this past week and ran some sprints to try and prepare myself for the upcoming season and lord almighty. You'd think dropping nearly 40 pounds would make that sort of thing feel better. It doesn't.

Some nice long runs a few days a week will get that cardio feeling like a cinch, Lucas!

Congrats to all who are getting into a treadmill or running routine.

I have still been trying go do 20 miles each week, but working from home has made me lazy since the gym is out of the picture. I am tracking my overall steps with my fitbit so even walking counts for that.

Guest PartOfTheProblem

This is an older post but wanted to comment,...

If you were to take your run time one or twice a week and do 30/60's or 60/120's during that time, you would see a vast improvement on your overall cardio health and distance times. Once, maybe twice a week take an hour during your regular run time and sprint full out for 30 seconds, then rest or walk for 60, then repeat for then next hour (or less depending on your fitness level). 60/120 is doubling then time, but same result intended.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running for about three years or so. My dad isn't the most in-shape guy, and I was worried that I'd inherit his gut if I didn't start taking better care of myself.

The first summer I started running, I did it with the goal of finishing a 5K in under a half hour and was able to do it. If I prep right and keep a good pace, I can do it in under 25 minutes now. I'm working my way up to doing a 10K and maybe even doing a half and then full marathon one of these days.

If you want to get into it, I highly suggest installing the Nike+ running app on your smartphone. It will keep track of all of your runs, and give you really good data on how you're doing.

I am working on getting my pace closer to a 25 minute 5k, but around 29 is my best time still. Hopefully I'll be ready for a 10k by the fall. I have heard that training similar to what PartOfTheProblem suggested is the best way to get faster. That and hill workouts.

Over the weekend, I went for a run with my brother who did cross country in high school and picked up some tips from him. Now I just need to run further, longer, and faster. Easy peasy.

Ran my first Color Run 5k today. Dodging children, stroller, and walkers on a sometimes narrow pathway made me feel like a secret agent or something. It also made me feel annoyed when people would walk 3-5 wide in the middle of the course, but I knew from the beginning that a PR was not happening. Finish time: 30 mins flat.

My wife did a Color Run and hated it, but she's super-competitive and the idea of a "fun run" is wasted on her, and she knows it.

I loved the after race color party and the color stations, and even the pre-race festivities to a point, but it's definitely not possible to run competitively. There was never a moment where I wasn't jostling past previous groups of runners. Many times I had to all but stop running because of a huge bottleneck or people just stopping in front of me with no warning. There is no etiquette whatsoever and probably 90% of the runners walk some or all of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Our local running store does a monthly fun run during the summer. This summer I am just power walking it because Ethan is too young to run with in the stroller. My husband and Quinn ran it on Thursday though. You hit as many checkpoints in an hour as you can and collect raffle tickets. Then you come back for the raffle and there's a beer garden for the adults. Last year I actually won the big raffle prize of a free pair of shoes, so now I have some sweet Brooks running shoes. This last run I just got a free shirt for a race I didn't run, but I always need more workout gear.

I did 5k last night. It was the Glo Run, which featured people wearing glowsticks and randomly running through mud and on a horse track at the county fairgrounds.

Other than that it was fun.

Destiny, that sounds like so much fun. I like the raffle setup. And the beer garden!

I am doing a Glo Run this weekend, Fozzie. Hopefully it is less crowded than the color run! I am hitting 5 below tonight to see if I can snag some extra glow accessories on the cheap. Also considering making a tutu for it. Running is so much better with accessories!

I'm still not running, but I'm still on the treadmill for 30 minutes 5-6 days a week, and alternating days of push ups/crunches. I should probably add some weights or something else in there too, but haven't yet. It's only been about a month and a half, but there's definitely some slimming down progress. Guys I'm even down to drinking just one night a week. Well, most weeks.

Awesome. Moving is good whether you're running, walking, or weight training. My fitbit makes me want to never stop moving so I can beat my friends' step counts. Who knew my competitive streak could help keep me healthy. Haven't lost any weight though. Mostly 'cause beer.

3 weeks back into working out, and I already screwed up my foot. I've been having some heel pain since Monday, stopped in at the running store to ask if somehow my shoes could be causing it, or if I needed different arch supports, etc. The guy looked at my gait and said I definitely heel strike (I thought that was proper form?). My husband says I have a callous there. Running store guy recommended epsom salt soak and rolling a golf ball under my heel. I did the epsom salt in my foot spa and now my heel hurts worse than ever. I think I busted myself already. Ugh. Going to have to get a dr appt next week. Good thing I hit my deductible already.

My husband thinks it's just a bruise. I got fitted for shoes so I think it's correcting my stance, but it's making me strike in new places where I don't have calluses. My husband noticed it was a low spot so he thinks I'm striking there repeatedly, and I do a lot of high intensity interval training. One of the instructors has been going a little overboard with jumping exercises lately. I'm just hoping it's only a bruise and not a fracture. Going to the doctor on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran home from work. It was fun, got some odd looks though while I was legging it down the street in my denim shorts and army shirt and vans as apposed to the tech gear running nuts love. Might run to and from work again tomorrow, cough out some of the lung butter I have accumulated in 10 years of smoking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.